Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what he said there about the microphone and use of the term python, is pretty much what he said in his "final" roh match where he beat aries and then turned heel. in fact, a lot of this stuff is influenced by that earlier angle. something he wrote prior to that match in his live journal back in 2005 was also reused in the last week, i think in something he put on twitter too.

I at least expected more than 54 seconds of footage to be honest.

Besides, why wouldn't the company film a Raw and Smackdown version from Australia this week instead of a double episode last week?

Because it would probably cost more than a $1m to ship over the equipment for two shows which they could film at no extra cost whilst they're already set up in USA.

• Paid Members

It doesnt matter anyway. I bet only a small minority have a clue that its a taped show next week. I remember hearing a story on a podcast about a group of fans asking a TNA wrestler (who was at a baseball game) why he wasnt on Impact, until he informed them that the show is taped in advance. Most people dont care enough to check out whether wrestling is taped. There was talks last year of WWE always filming the following weeks Raw after a live Raw, because they would save hundreds of thousands of dollars a week by doing so. Raw only became a live show in the first place because of WCW.

Couldn't see a thread for this weeks show, so...

Monday Night Raw Discussion - 04/07/11 (SPOILERS)(

Decent show, not a great deal happened. Good matches though.

So Cena V Punk will happen at Money In The Bank after all. So where does that leave Del Rio as the No1 Contender?

Also Cena is fired if he loosed the Title to Punk? That would mean Punk AND Cena would be free to work for another company right? Slightly illogical booking.

I notice Tag Team Wrestling is being given a little more attention on Raw and Smackdown this past few weeks. Good to see. And what was with the whole Zach Ryder interaction after the Tag Match? Can we expect him to be in a tag team soon? He and Curt Hawkins apeared together on Superstars a few times recently.

One MITB theory that Im surprised no one has mentioned is this:

What if:

- CM Punk wins the WWE belt. In doing so he is set to walk out and Cena is fired. However the PPV ends with the camera following punk into a changing room where Mr. McMahon is waiting for him. The PPV ends with Punk closing the door with a cocky smile on his face.

- The next day on Raw we discover that Punk will not be leaving WWE, as last night he signed a extension. However because Punk had the belt, he had the WWE by the balls. He has the belt and Cena was gone. As a result, McMahon had no choice but to sign Punk to a contract with several guarantees on it. Guaranteed t shirts, guarantees that he will be push on merchandise and programmes, the match against The Rock at Mania, the MITB title shot being cancelled etc etc.

- Effectively, CM Punk is Vince's new "corporate champion." CM Punk is Vince's new project. CM Punk will attempt to shift shit loads of merchandise and project a clean anti drug, anti drink, pro family image for the WWE brand.

- However CM Punk is STILL being undermined. Despite being pushed to the moon by the WWE, ultimately the fans are rejecting him and the fans are STILL buying Cena merchandise. Ultimately even in Cena's absence, he is still making more money for the WWE than Punk ever could. This naturally infuriates Punk and the cracks in the Vince / Punk relationship begin to form.

- This leads to Vince bringing back Cena, and sells to Punk that by beating a returning Cena he can cement his place at the top of the WWE. This inevitably leads to Punk vs Cena (SummerSlam?) where Cena wins.

Just my two cents.

That Cena/Vince exchange at the end was fantastic. Cena can be so awesome in when he's like that, really good stuff.

MITB is going to be absolutely epic now, I assume they take the easy way, Cena wins, Punk leaves, happy ever after. They have potential with this though so I hope that isnt how it goes, hopefully they have another shock in this story.

Really good stuff though.

• Paid Members
That Cena/Vince exchange at the end was fantastic. Cena can be so awesome in when he's like that, really good stuff.

MITB is going to be absolutely epic now, I assume they take the easy way, Cena wins, Punk leaves, happy ever after. They have potential with this though so I hope that isnt how it goes, hopefully they have another shock in this story.

Really good stuff though.

The Cena/Vince stuff turned out to be really good in the end. But Cena totally undermined things with his stupid comedy and daft grinning again. It grated when the camera panned to Vinces 'I'm seriously thinking about this' face and Cena follows this up with a big over the top piss take. Thankfully Vince being the pro he is managed to get things back on track. I personally loved him telling Cena to wipe that stupid smile off his face at the end. Cenas great, but it's the one thing he needs to get right.

The best thing about all this feud, is they're making the WWE title seem like the biggest prize in the World again.

Hopefully we get a Punk/Vince face to face promo battle on Raw sometime in the next few weeks. It'll be great TV watching the two of them 'shooting' on each other.

I think this thing has blown up too big now for Cena just to win the title. I wasn't against the idea last Tuesday, but CM Punk is the most interesting thing in wrsetling just now. To the point where he has casuals thinking it's real.

• Paid Members
One MITB theory that Im surprised no one has mentioned is this:

What if:

- CM Punk wins the WWE belt. In doing so he is set to walk out and Cena is fired. However the PPV ends with the camera following punk into a changing room where Mr. McMahon is waiting for him. The PPV ends with Punk closing the door with a cocky smile on his face.

- The next day on Raw we discover that Punk will not be leaving WWE, as last night he signed a extension. However because Punk had the belt, he had the WWE by the balls. He has the belt and Cena was gone. As a result, McMahon had no choice but to sign Punk to a contract with several guarantees on it. Guaranteed t shirts, guarantees that he will be push on merchandise and programmes, the match against The Rock at Mania, the MITB title shot being cancelled etc etc.

- Effectively, CM Punk is Vince's new "corporate champion." CM Punk is Vince's new project. CM Punk will attempt to shift shit loads of merchandise and project a clean anti drug, anti drink, pro family image for the WWE brand.

- However CM Punk is STILL being undermined. Despite being pushed to the moon by the WWE, ultimately the fans are rejecting him and the fans are STILL buying Cena merchandise. Ultimately even in Cena's absence, he is still making more money for the WWE than Punk ever could. This naturally infuriates Punk and the cracks in the Vince / Punk relationship begin to form.

- This leads to Vince bringing back Cena, and sells to Punk that by beating a returning Cena he can cement his place at the top of the WWE. This inevitably leads to Punk vs Cena (SummerSlam?) where Cena wins.

Just my two cents.

I quite like some of the stuff you have in here. But to do something like that, and have the blowoff by Summerslam would be a bit of a rush-job wouldnt it? Surely you want to have Vince and Punk happy enough in their new partnership for at least a couple of weeks before the cracks start to form? You could get a nice slow burner out of that storyline til Survivor Series at least.

It does have the problem in that why would Vince see Punk as his new corporate champion, when by his own admittance is pretty unmarketable. He already had the perfect corporate champion in Cena as it is.

I quite like some of the stuff you have in here. But to do something like that, and have the blowoff by Summerslam would be a bit of a rush-job wouldnt it? Surely you want to have Vince and Punk happy enough in their new partnership for at least a couple of weeks before the cracks start to form? You could get a nice slow burner out of that storyline til Survivor Series at least.

It does have the problem in that why would Vince see Punk as his new corporate champion, when by his own admittance is pretty unmarketable. He already had the perfect corporate champion in Cena as it is.

The only reason I said Summerslam is because I have no faith in WWE running a Summerslam without Cena. In a ideal world I'd have it run much longer.

"It does have the problem in that why would Vince see Punk as his new corporate champion, when by his own admittance is pretty unmarketable. He already had the perfect corporate champion in Cena as it is."

Simple... because he has no choice.

By his own rash action Vince McMahon just fired Cena, and Punk will enforce that as a stipulation of him signing. Another stipulation will be that McMahon MUST endorse Punk as long as he holds the championship*. I.e. a all Punk opening video for RAW, the opportunity to give "don't take drugs" tv spots on WWE programming, Punk on all the merchandising, Punk vs Rock at Mania (just imagine the Rock coming back to call Punk a "roody poo candy ass").

The key thing to remember is that Vince is doing this begrudgingly. He's just lost Cena and is trying to make the best out of bad situation. And as a business man he will give it a good go, but then ultimately rely on Cena to come back, beat Punk and regain the belt.

• Paid Members
"It does have the problem in that why would Vince see Punk as his new corporate champion, when by his own admittance is pretty unmarketable. He already had the perfect corporate champion in Cena as it is."

Simple... because he has no choice.

By his own rash action Vince McMahon just fired Cena, and Punk will enforce that as a stipulation of him signing. Another stipulation will be that McMahon MUST endorse Punk as long as he holds the championship*. I.e. a all Punk opening video for RAW, the opportunity to give "don't take drugs" tv spots on WWE programming, Punk on all the merchandising, Punk vs Rock at Mania (just imagine the Rock coming back to call Punk a "roody poo candy ass").

The key thing to remember is that Vince is doing this begrudgingly. He's just lost Cena and is trying to make the best out of bad situation. And as a business man he will give it a good go, but then ultimately rely on Cena to come back, beat Punk and regain the belt.

Add to that: have McMahon sneakily re-hire Cena back into the company under a mask as Mr. America II. Like with Hogan, no real attempt to hide who it is, so basically it's Vince putting Punk on notice and circumventing his stips at the same time.

I think this thing has blown up too big now for Cena just to win the title. I wasn't against the idea last Tuesday, but CM Punk is the most interesting thing in wrestling just now.

You have to remember that less than a year ago, Wade Barrett and Nexus was the most interesting thing in wrestling and not only did they mess up once, at Summerslam, but a second time, when Barrett couldn't win the WWE title and Cena's banishment from WWE didn't last 24 hours.

Archived