Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....bit late to the party but the July 4th Raw was pretty good...apart from the ending...

wwwyki Hopefully he brings in someone decent as I'd be slightly gutted if he brought either Hawkins or Primo as his partner.

the #1 Contenders match was great, awesome finish too, and Rey made Del Rio look great by tapping almost instantly!

Alex Riley vs The Miz was great, excellent feud here. A-Ry rapidly developing crowd support so I hope he continues his push. The promo video was a nice touch too.

Nice to see Dolph and Kofi in something that isn't a match, this was alright.

Swagger vs Sarge was alright, he took a mean looking gutwrench.

So the end. I was looking forward to CM Punk vs Cena at MITB, but I thought this last segment was pointless, and I'm now less enthusiastic. crowd was quiet and goody two shoes Cena strikes again, its gone from about Punk to all about Cena and to me thats not interesting, there was just no point to the whole segment. McMahon didn't need to be there.

I thought the ending was pretty much perfect, the obvious happened in CM Punk being reinstated but was delivered very well and heightened the angle. Its pretty clear Cena is going over at MITB so I didnt quite agree with the firing angle but it was a nice touch having Vinnie Mac involved and in a serious manner for a change.

• Paid Members
I thought the ending was pretty much perfect, the obvious happened in CM Punk being reinstated but was delivered very well and heightened the angle. Its pretty clear Cena is going over at MITB so I didnt quite agree with the firing angle but it was a nice touch having Vinnie Mac involved and in a serious manner for a change.

It's always worth listening to the wording. Vince said if C.M Punk leaves as champion then Cena is fired. I already thought we might see Money in bank cash in on the night not sure who but this nearly confirms it for me. Vince didn't say Cena your fired if you lose, he is only fired if C.M Punk leaves as champion. So C.M Punk wins everyone is in shock thinking Cena is fired but Mr money in the Bank turns up gets the win and Cena is saved.

I think that Christian will win the title then one of the Smackdown winners of MITB (maybe Sheamus?) cashes in and beats him then you got Christian who was screwed again, Orton who will want a rematch and Sheamus who could even be world champion, with a triple threat at Summerslam.

I can definitely see Christian winning the belt then losing it the same night, with Christian its made for his character at the moment.

Perhaps they'd be crazy enough to have both MITB winners cash in on the same night. It would be perfect for the Christian storyline, and would fit in nicely with CM Punk (although I think Cena will just win). It would be a bit much I think though. One thing they haven't done yet is having someone win and then wait a whole year, but doing that was suited more to waiting a whole year and doing it at Mania.

If the WWE really shoot there load they could have one MITB beat the other MITB winner for a Title on the same night. For example Christian beats Orton, Sheamus then beats Christian and then Del Rio beats Sheamus. I know that the whole different brands thing will be a bit of a mess but it would be different.

If the WWE really shoot there load they could have one MITB beat the other MITB winner for a Title on the same night. For example Christian beats Orton, Sheamus then beats Christian and then Del Rio beats Sheamus. I know that the whole different brands thing will be a bit of a mess but it would be different.

I think they mentioned last year that you can't cash in your MITB Briefcase for the other brands title, not sure if they changed it or anything, but i think thats the reason the briefcases are coloured.

• Paid Members
I think they mentioned last year that you can't cash in your MITB Briefcase for the other brands title, not sure if they changed it or anything, but i think thats the reason the briefcases are coloured.

They did indeed, and it makes sense. The unpredictability of the cross-brand briefcase was very cool but it's a bit daft to have brand-specific matches/briefcases if the contract itself isnt brand specific too.

• Paid Members
Well, I must say, I rather enjoyed that. They crafted an absolutely marvellous promo for him and he delivered it expertly. A great example of the whole team working together to create a stirling piece of work, not particularly to the credit of one nor the other. Which is really the way it should always be with the system WWE has cultivated. In terms of worked shoots, it's got to be considered one of the best in how well it has adhered to a major storyline with focus, rather than just spouting some insider nonsence for cheap cheers from the internet crowd. The difference between Paul Heyman's rant in 2001 and his One Night Stand promo I think sum this particular difference up well.

However, I do feel yet again, people are missing the point in debating whether or not this will be the new Attitude era/boom or what have you. I really, really don't think it works like that anymore. WWE, in its own field, has become something akin to Disney. It no longer needs to trailblaze, it just needs to continue what it does to consistently make great money for everybody. What this means is the status quo is fine and keeps everything ticking. Then, every now and then Disney might make a film that does massive box office figures, and another that is a bit of turkey. WWE occasional gives us a blockbuster such as last night, or Nexus, or Michaels/Taker, or Rock or loads of other decent bits they've done over the years. With that also comes some of the dross. Long gone are the days where some singular event or small chain of events can spark some sort of wrestling revolution, WWE is big enough, thank you very much. The long-term maintenance of that is WAY more important than creating some sort of buzz that gives them three great years followed by 6 or so utterly turgid ones before solidarity is eventually resumed.

Every time there's a big time angle/promo/match, the same arguement always comes up about it being the next Austin 3:16/Attitude/nWo or even worse, how WWE will "fuck it up" and stop it being one of these. It is never one of these and as long as WWE is doing fine, it never will be again. Nor should it be. Just enjoy the good stuff as a constant reminder of why you're a fan and leave it at that, or your expectations will always be crushed.

This got completely ignored seemingly but, it's spot on and a cracking post.

As is this from Repo;

You know what's annoying? The people that are like "ZOMG I KNEW IT WAS SCRIPTED BECAUSE.." like you're so fucking smarter than everyone else.

EVERYONE should know it wasn't real for fucks sake. No one should be stupid enough to think that a company of that size would let someone run their mouth like that for such a long time without cutting him off if it wasn't what they planned.

For me, I just loved that it FELT real. I really enjoy storylines based in reality.

• Moderators

It'd be shit as well.

Archived