Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

The last segment was a very tasty bit of wrestling TV, certainly by WWE standards. Both guys did a great job and it was very nice to see them put so much importance on the actual WWE Title. Great job building to the PPV too, making it a must see event.

My only negative comments...

I have a hard time buying into (even for a second) a "Cena gets fired" stip - considering what a non-event it was the last time he was "fired". I said it at the time and I'll say it again now, if you go back on stipulations you make them meaningless the next time you try. Vince's threat would have been so much better it we hadn't already seen Cena no-sell getting fired before.

What exactly does it take to piss off John Cena? His response to virtually every attack over the last few years have been laughing it off and making jokes. This time, he seems to have ignored the fact that Punk called him (effectively) an over-rated ass-kisser, and is more upset about Punk's freedom of speech being suppressed?? Surely the personal attacks on him and bashing of the company he loves would have angered him somewhat? Weird!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
What exactly does it take to piss off John Cena? His response to virtually every attack over the last few years have been laughing it off and making jokes. This time, he seems to have ignored the fact that Punk called him (effectively) an over-rated ass-kisser, and is more upset about Punk's freedom of speech being suppressed?? Surely the personal attacks on him and bashing of the company he loves would have angered him somewhat? Weird!

That's not particularly strange. Cena's supposed to be a classic babyface - smiling, joking, apple-pie, wholesome, clean-cut, but, importantly in this case, "American", i.e. he believes in the absolute and paramount value of personal freedom of speech.

If he responds to Punk's insults in an angry way, he comes across as bitter and divisive; responding the way he has makes him look like a real hero, not letting words get to him, etc.

Also, he has been made angry before, like when Orton kicked his dad in the head.

That's not particularly strange. Cena's supposed to be a classic babyface - smiling, joking, apple-pie, wholesome, clean-cut, but, importantly in this case, "American", i.e. he believes in the absolute and paramount value of personal freedom of speech.

If he responds to Punk's insults in an angry way, he comes across as bitter and divisive; responding the way he has makes him look like a real hero, not letting words get to him, etc.

Also, he has been made angry before, like when Orton kicked his dad in the head.

I get what you are saying, and indeed what WWE are doing with Cena, but it just felt a bit odd.

Cena was talking like Punk was a Face wrestler "this kid speaks his mind and you suspend him?".

It petty much turned into Cena and Punk Vrs the evil Boss by the end of the segment. Wouldn't Cena be the first guy to want to stop someone trashing his beloved WWE and walking off with their Title? Never mind the fact that Punk's rant was partly about Cena being an ass-kissing politician who isn't actually that good!

• Paid Members
I get what you are saying, and indeed what WWE are doing with Cena, but it just felt a bit odd.

Cena was talking like Punk was a Face wrestler "this kid speaks his mind and you suspend him?".

Yeah, but it makes him look statesman-like and "the bigger man" - he's a man of principle, is Our John. It also makes Punk look petty and whiny, which is kind of the point.

It's one of the most quoted lines of all time (Voltaire, I think): "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the hilt your right to say it."

It petty much turned into Cena and Punk Vrs the evil Boss by the end of the segment. Wouldn't Cena be the first guy to want to stop someone trashing his beloved WWE and walking off with their Title? Never mind the fact that Punk's rant was partly about Cena being an ass-kissing politician who isn't actually that good!

Yeah, but again - it's part of Cena being a hero and doing things "the right way". The whole purpose of the segment is to show that Cena believes Punk is wrong, and rather than censor his words, will "win the day" by proving him wrong in the only way that matters: in the ring.

Fair progression on the main storyline, but bad idea to add this Cena firing stipulation. Less than a year ago they completely debased the firing storyline with Cena in the 'freed of fired' match that he refereed.

Nothing else of note on the show. Another instantly forgettable Santino tag match centered around the tag straps and Vickie getting covered in cake AGAIN! Why is this company so obsessed with messy slapstick at Vickie's expense?

I missed Drew not being on the show. I'm a fan of his, even though he hasn't quite clicked with the masses.

Yeah, but it makes him look statesman-like and "the bigger man" - he's a man of principle, is Our John. It also makes Punk look petty and whiny, which is kind of the point.

It's one of the most quoted lines of all time (Voltaire, I think): "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the hilt your right to say it."

Yeah, but again - it's part of Cena being a hero and doing things "the right way". The whole purpose of the segment is to show that Cena believes Punk is wrong, and rather than censor his words, will "win the day" by proving him wrong in the only way that matters: in the ring.

Yeah, i get all that. Like I said, i enjoyed the segment and i get what they were doing.

I just can't help but think it would all be a bit more personal and tense if Cena showed a bit more anger/distaste for Punk. Even if you forget last week, Punk has been cheap-shotting and interfering in Cena's matches for weeks, calling him out and insulting him. Maybe if Cena had shown a bit more of a 'need' to kick Punk's ass, rather than just "well, he earned it, so it's only right he gets his shot".

I fully get your point about Cena being the 'bigger man', but I guess I'd just rather it felt a bit more personal. Punk did a character assassination job on Cena last week, and John has kind of forgiven him based simply on the fact that Punk has "every right to express himself".

• Paid Members

More I think about it, the more I'd like to see Cena get fired and eventually get snuck back in as Mr. America II, doing what Hogan did, "patriotising" his promos, so you get stuff like "The 5th Amendment Shuffle", the "American Adjustment", "You can't censor me", etc.

Also, we'd get him finally changing his bloody gear for once.

• Paid Members

I'm calling Del Rio to cash in on Punk after he beats Cena at Money In The Bank. It makes perfect sense as Del Rio would get the Vince's golden boy aspect to his character, something which he needs at the moment, and if Punk has resigned they probably want to appease him so his dropping the title to Del Rio is something he'd be happy with (as I believe they're friends or something). Then it gives us Del Rio vs Cena at Summerslam and Vince has an excuse not to fire Cena but to punish him leading to another Cena overcoming the odds storyline in order to get his shot at ADR.

I'm almost positive it's happening. Maybe replace Del Rio with R-Truth but I doubt it.

• Paid Members

I'm calling that Cena beats CM Punk and then someone cashes it in. Cena will be feuding with whoever takes the title. I cant see him doing that off the back of a loss to anyone other than the champion at the end of the night. And they usually like to do the "Cena's overcame all the odds and now he has to wrestle a fresh man ..." angle.

There is a lot they can do at this next PPV and for once I'm interested to see which route they will take.

It's not going to happen, as the focus is clearly on the RAW Brand stuff, but the PPV would also be a perfect time for Christian to beat Orton for his Title, only to have someone cash in on him and take the belt. He'd have an even shorter title reign than his first one and it would build really well on the storyline they have going for him.

• Paid Members
Something that they have never done and that would obviously be fresh is someone winning the MITB then loosing the title match.

Thats something they dont need though. Especially on the night. If RVD lost to Cena there wouldnt be much embarrassment there, because it was a fair fight. But if Alberto ran out and Cena beat him, that would be a career killer.

• Paid Members
Something that they have never done and that would obviously be fresh is someone winning the MITB then loosing the title match.

Thats something they dont need though. Especially on the night.

EDIT: Ah, you were too fast for me there. But you're right - the time's not right for that yet.

Archived