Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

Even a younger fan knows that Cena is supposed to be "The Best" and that the McMahon's own WWE. Sure there were insiders names they won't know, but the general gist was pretty obvious. He called everyone in the back douchebags and idiots. Claimed he was the best and deserved more. Said he'd take the WWE Title to other companies.

Apart from that last bit, the general gist -- whilst obvious -- is nothing new. The WWE title feud for the last month was about how Cena gets an unfair push. R-Truth was doing promos about five weeks ago about not being on the merchandise and deserving more. Chris Jericho was calling himself The Best In The World At What He Does for most of 2009-2010.

I recon most young American wrestling fans know who Brock Lesnar is, even if they were not watching him at the time in WWE.

Yeah, he's the name that people would know. But unless you're an obsessive who knows about the circumstances of Brock leaving and the legal battles afterwards, mentioning his name (especially as a "Paul Heyman guy") on the stage on Raw in that context means nothing.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CM Punk: it's simple business - The Rock is the main event at Wrestlemania cause it draws more money in one night, then u will in lifetime

Good Comeback from The Rock

Is that what The Rock actually said? If so, his spelling & grammar leaves a lot to be desired.

CM Punk: it's simple business - The Rock is the main event at Wrestlemania cause it draws more money in one night, then u will in lifetime

Good Comeback from The Rock

Is that what The Rock actually said? If so, his spelling & grammar leaves a lot to be desired.

Aye, I thought that. Some of it can be put down to Twitter's character limit, but the then/than thing is appalling.

• Paid Members
Meltzer and Alvarez's fantasy booking on the Raw discussion show was a bit of a downer and at the same time a bit mental. Alvarez thinks they should bring in the Kings of Wrestling and Paul Heyman to feud with Vince and Cena, Meltzer said they've wasted this angle building a PPV that wont draw and added they should have saved the angle for Brock Lesnars return (Eh?!) and they should bring in Bret Hart to team with CM Punk to play off the Montreal Screwjob. The pair of them sounded they wouldnt pass a wellness tests. Meltzer turned all Fin Martin. He even said "if you did this angle with someone bigger than CM Punk, you could get a huge buyrate out of it". He's right to be fair, but I thought Meltzer would have been tearing the skin off his cock watching that promo.

TBF about the Bret Hart suggestion, he was saying that as he was trying to think of better ways of using Alvarez' internet wank-a-thon. Bret Hart joining Punk to fight Vince McMahon is much better than getting the ugly Paul Heyman and two guys that the audience doesn't cares about in WWE. Punk already has three guys nobody cares about in Nexus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bi fan of the f4w empire, but bringing in the kings of wrestling? Fucking hell alvarez. I'm a smark and I don't even know what they look like. If you absolutely have to bring a tag team in, why not bring in WGTT? At least people have heard of them. Just make sure neither of them gets close to a mic

Meltzer and Alvarez's fantasy booking on the Raw discussion show was a bit of a downer and at the same time a bit mental. Alvarez thinks they should bring in the Kings of Wrestling and Paul Heyman to feud with Vince and Cena, Meltzer said they've wasted this angle building a PPV that wont draw and added they should have saved the angle for Brock Lesnars return (Eh?!) and they should bring in Bret Hart to team with CM Punk to play off the Montreal Screwjob. The pair of them sounded they wouldnt pass a wellness tests. Meltzer turned all Fin Martin. He even said "if you did this angle with someone bigger than CM Punk, you could get a huge buyrate out of it". He's right to be fair, but I thought Meltzer would have been tearing the skin off his cock watching that promo.

TBF about the Bret Hart suggestion, he was saying that as he was trying to think of better ways of using Alvarez' internet wank-a-thon. Bret Hart joining Punk to fight Vince McMahon is much better than getting the ugly Paul Heyman and two guys that the audience doesn't cares about in WWE. Punk already has three guys nobody cares about in Nexus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bi fan of the f4w empire, but bringing in the kings of wrestling? Fucking hell alvarez. I'm a smark and I don't even know what they look like. If you absolutely have to bring a tag team in, why not bring in WGTT? At least people have heard of them. Just make sure neither of them gets close to a mic

The Kings of Wrestling have already been offered WWE deals, hence why he was saying they could use them.

• Paid Members

The Kings of Wrestling have already been offered WWE deals, hence why he was saying they could use them.

oh right. They'd need some time to learn to work though

The camera angle cuts when he broke the fourth wall and waved to colt cabana seemed awfully smooth if it wasn't all planned, don't you think?

Isn't there a red light on the camera to indicate which one is putting out the live feed? Punk could have just seen the camera was active and looked in to it to give a nod to Colt Cabana.

Even a younger fan knows that Cena is supposed to be "The Best" and that the McMahon's own WWE. Sure there were insiders names they won't know, but the general gist was pretty obvious. He called everyone in the back douchebags and idiots. Claimed he was the best and deserved more. Said he'd take the WWE Title to other companies.

Apart from that last bit, the general gist -- whilst obvious -- is nothing new. The WWE title feud for the last month was about how Cena gets an unfair push. R-Truth was doing promos about five weeks ago about not being on the merchandise and deserving more. Chris Jericho was calling himself The Best In The World At What He Does for most of 2009-2010.

I recon most young American wrestling fans know who Brock Lesnar is, even if they were not watching him at the time in WWE.

Yeah, he's the name that people would know. But unless you're an obsessive who knows about the circumstances of Brock leaving and the legal battles afterwards, mentioning his name (especially as a "Paul Heyman guy") on the stage on Raw in that context means nothing.

Punk was cut off, mid-sentence, live on RAW and it's now been announced that he has been suspended for his actions. Nothing like that happened to R-Truth. Both the content/style of the promo and it's unusual ending made it stand out from anything WWE have done in a while. WWE has been clear in painting the picture that Punk went off on his own and they didn't like it. I think you are underestimating how much younger fans might be intrigued by this. Sure, we've seen all this type of stuff before, but someone of 13/14 probably hasn't.

I didn't at any point say that younger fans would get the whole worked/shoot aspects, just that it would have come across as a very weird and unusual thing to see at the final segment of RAW.

You also ignored my point that Punk insulted the whole McMahon family.

He also broke the 'illusion' that all heels hate all faces. "I don't hate you John, you are better than most of the people in the back". That's not how a regular 2011 WWE Heel acts.

the whole thing was a trumendous work. your right to point out that a good deal of 'usual' wwe fans would not have had a clue about a good portion of what punk said but bare in mind that continually moved back to addressing the 'usual' wwe fans during the whole thing. yes, he made a lot of 'in' comments but im convinced that was just to so the promo would sucker everyone in, he even insulted the people who still support him in spite of being super heel numero uno. this was a great promo for the same reason that the heyman one during the invasion angle was, it was a work pure and simple, but it left damn near everyone guessing as to how much of it he really meant.... and like the heyman one, it didnt really deviate from the storyline that wwe are currently running.

• Paid Members
The camera angle cuts when he broke the fourth wall and waved to colt cabana seemed awfully smooth if it wasn't all planned, don't you think?

Isn't there a red light on the camera to indicate which one is putting out the live feed? Punk could have just seen the camera was active and looked in to it to give a nod to Colt Cabana.

I suppose.

I do find it completely impossible to believe that Vince would seriously let CM Punk of all people talk without a script. Despite what smarks want to believe, I doubt he's trusted enough in that company to just go off on one.

The Punk promo was terrific, wasn't expecting that at all and there's another genuine reason to watch RAW after the goodness of R-Truth. Hopefully this doesn't end abruptly and is their big summer angle. The rest of the show was nothing more than decent, we got a good HBK and Punk promo, a good Bourne vs Cara match and Mark Henry being a right beast inside a Cage but the end made it.

You know what else was good actually, the tornado tag team match. I love tornado tag matches and it's a damn shame there has barely ever been any in WWE. I thought it flowed well, it was exciting and fast-paced with a fun ending and it makes a change from the standard tag matches with slow beatdowns and hot-tag dragouts.

Daftest thing i have heard following Punks shoot. My mate (who is a behind closed doors wwe fan) Rang me up and asked whats a New Japan Pro Wrestling and a ROH. Hes 28

You know what's annoying? The people that are like "ZOMG I KNEW IT WAS SCRIPTED BECAUSE.." like you're so fucking smarter than everyone else.

EVERYONE should know it wasn't real for fucks sake. No one should be stupid enough to think that a company of that size would let someone run their mouth like that for such a long time without cutting him off if it wasn't what they planned.

For me, I just loved that it FELT real. I really enjoy storylines based in reality.

Great post Repo.

Archived