DDP says go get your money back 1PW fans ... bang

IANdrewDiceClay

I've been running in Swindon 7 years and have never had under 100 pre-sales/reservations, simple fact is everyone I have spoken to did not even know the show was happening or would not pay the prices! and the Oasis Leisure Centre is huge, well over a thousand seats and is very expensive to run, I knew there would be a struggle to sell tickets, there is not a huge calling for wrestling in Swindon, we literally go balls to the wall promoting our Swindon shows that we run every quarter and no matter how hard we work or how much we spend on promoting you will never get 500 people plus at a show in Swindon.

I just hope the ones that did buy tickets and are now been refunded are not put off by Wrestling!

The talk of coming back in September would end up the same in my eyes, abit of advice if you want to run down South Reading would be your best bet, the place is huge maybe try the Rivermead Leisure Centre. This is not me trying to get you to not run Swindon because we actually run Reading aswell.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a shame but hardly surprising given the lack of promotion. I think they'd be better off running the show and losing money on it than cancelling though - as this will just put people off pre-buying for their events even more.

Hopefully someone will book the new age outlaws and a few others for a sunday show somewhere else?

This is a shame but hardly surprising given the lack of promotion. I think they'd be better off running the show and losing money on it than cancelling though - as this will just put people off pre-buying for their events even more.

Hopefully someone will book the new age outlaws and a few others for a sunday show somewhere else?

You do realise what the general opinion will be of a promotion who pull shows with days to go though, don't you? What if any of those pre-sales had paid for travel? Booked time off work etc?

Sorry mate, but it's bad business. Makes you look like an amateur to be honest.

They've not exactly got a great reputation to begin with, David.

• Paid Members
I think this is inexcusable. As a promoter myself (not wrestling but the principle remains the same) the absolute basic is that you have enough cash to run the show & pay everyone their full fee even if you've only sold one ticket. I wonder if the talent will still be paid for this? I certainly hope so.

at what point in that post did you find the words mentioned we don't have the money to do it? - there wasn't. its simple. we are not putting on a show that has only pre sold under 100 tickets. we're not putting on shows to lose money.

Then that makes it even worse! Your acts/talent pulls out & the show gets cancelled, it sucks but it's understandable. The venue screws up & the show gets cancelled, annoying but out of your control. It sucks but it's understandable. Show gets cancelled because promoter didn't do his/her part of the job & actually promote the show, resulting in poor ticket sales...that's the promoter's fault & the promoter should take the hit. Cancelling shows because a half arsed promoting job was done is poor form & amateurish.

I totally agree with you mike, surely the idea is you should have the money to run the show/pay for talent regardless of how well it sells, so then ultimately you could in effect see if that area is good for Wrestling/gigs/comedy etc. YOu will take a hit, but not to the effect of oweing people money, as you still put on the show.

1PW do it AGAIN. Epic Fail on there part, which is sad to be honest. Also mike as your a "Crewe" guy like myself, if i said 1PW was "The Barrel" of Pro-wrestling, would that make sense?

The biggest mistake here for me is the reasoning for cancelling the show, it lets the people down who may have brought tickets but most importantly lets the talent down! Hopefully the workers are paid for their troubles (however I can't imagine that being the case as they might as well run the show!)

When promoting you are going to have some events make money and some events lose money, but in building the brand you have to take the hit to build on a foundation.... next time you run in Swindon people will remember the last time and be very reluctant to buy tickets in advance leaving you in the same, if not worse situation.

I am not sitting here saying losing money is a good thing but to be taken seriously situations like this need to be avoided, maybe book smaller venues with less names from the past that take up alot of the cash flow.

When I decided to take EWW across the UK on an experimental tour I could have easily 2 weeks before done the maths and decided to pull the tour as 2 shows were set to hemorrhage money, but that would have been bad business ethics and would have also let down the workers booked (international and domestic). I took the hit, learned from the mistakes made, worked out which areas would work and went on to have 4 more successful shows before parting ways and EWW continuing on their journey.

You have tried to extend the 1pw brand and should see out your decisions so close to the show, take the hit and learn whether the Swindon market is one to explore again.

I sincerely do wish 1PW luck however looking on from the outside it seems like a bit.

I have recently decided to come on to this forum as a fan of wrestling and want to give constructive feedback so I hope this is taken in that way.

I think this is inexcusable. As a promoter myself (not wrestling but the principle remains the same) the absolute basic is that you have enough cash to run the show & pay everyone their full fee even if you've only sold one ticket. I wonder if the talent will still be paid for this? I certainly hope so.

at what point in that post did you find the words mentioned we don't have the money to do it? - there wasn't. its simple. we are not putting on a show that has only pre sold under 100 tickets. we're not putting on shows to lose money.

Im sorry but i agree with an earlier forumster. i've put event son previously and the first thing you do is check that the area you are promoting in has the capacity to meet your break even. Ive run events where i've got it wrong (a night in Hull still gives me nightmares on my bank balance) BUT it was my responsibiltiy as promoter to make sure the show was promoted adequately and properly.

If you dont then you run the major risk of not generating enough sales to make the event viable. Cancelling this late i assume that you will have to pay for talent and the venue (if you dont then you have reptutational risk added to your list of problems)so the only cost you have not paid out for is anything extra on the day.

Less than 100 pre-sales (call it 100) = 100 people who wont buy next time upfront becuase the event got cancelled a week before it was due to run resulting in even lower pre-sales and an ever decreasing circle. Run the show regardless, take the hit (which you will be taking anyway) and salvage what you can out of it. 1PW has a bad rep already and as a promoter you have potentially just lost another 100 people who were willing to part with their cash upfront.

You say you are coming back with an EXTREME show later in the year - can you tell me as a punter why i should part with my money upfront just for you to cancel on me at less than a weeks notice? So you get less pre-sales and more people indicating that they will do a walk up purchase. This increases your risk to the running of the show.

If you havent paid your talent then can you tell me as a talent why i should accept your booking when you could cancel on me at a week's notice and i lose potential income as a replacment gig cant be found at such short notice? The same would apply even if you had because i woudl be losing out on merchandise sales

As a promoter you take the risk of putting on the show, i've been there and done that and thought very carefully about each one i've done. I've messed up sometimes and i've hit the jackpot a couple of times but the show still must go on because the people you really dont want to alienate is your paying customers. By not running at some short notice you hav eprobably done more damage than you consider in the long run. no promoter runs an event to lose money but you show me one who has always managed to turn profit on every single event they run.

If your 100 had turned up plus another 100 walk up's and enjoyed the show then those 200 people MAY have bought pre-orders next time and told their mates that it was an excellent show and they should go to the next one. You have to look at the bigger picture, if you are running later int he year then take the hit, dont no-show. It would also enhance the rep of 1PW for not cancelling. Instead it will give out negative vibes, ptoentially lost the 100 who paid out for this one so you are starting from scratch for the next show.

• Paid Members

I've just been reading on the organisation's wall that One Pro Wrestling were looking to bring Sting over to the UK for a gala dinner at the same time as Shawn, but negated as, "They didn't see the point when he was going to be over with TNA three months later any way."

:confused:

I've just been reading on the organisation's wall that One Pro Wrestling were looking to bring Sting over to the UK for a gala dinner at the same time as Shawn, but negated as, "They didn't see the point when he was going to be over with TNA three months later any way."

Cocks!

• Paid Members

Cocks!

I'd hate to see how much that weekend is costing 1PW, and that's without a Sting-sized wage on top.

Richie - Thanks for the comment even though my promoting was not wrestling based the same rules still are applicable.

All our constructive comments i hope are taken on in the positive manner they are intended. I've been a "fan" of 1PW since day 1 and spent many a happy day in the Dome bar then an evening watching the wrestling. I want, not just 1PW, all companies to succeed and grow, it can only be good for the UK industry (both workers and fans) but when things like this happen everyone jumps on the negative.

Archived