Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

I think it's been pretty well established that it wasn't a Benoit joke and we can all stop pretending like it ever would have been and go back to talking about the ending of a fifteen year career instead of debating a meaningless point, right Mr Coyne?

Edge will be back in some shape or form. Might take him a while to get over not being able to wrestle again, but he's just too much of an asset at his young age for WWE to not use in some capacity.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Isn't it a bit short sighted/selfish for Edge not to have massively put someone over (even if it wasn't Del Rio) before he left? Surely you should go out on a loss, it makes no sense for him to win at Mania then jack it in.

Isn't it a bit short sighted/selfish for Edge not to have massively put someone over (even if it wasn't Del Rio) before he left? Surely you should go out on a loss, it makes no sense for him to win at Mania then jack it in.

Yes, when he got the results that told him he'd never be cleared to wrestle again in case he ends up in a wheelchair, he should've insisted on doing the ladder match at Extreme Rules. The selfish prick.

• Paid Members
So he didn't know he was going to retire til' after Mania?

Of course not. Otherwise they'd have pulled him from the match. Edge had been telling people privately that he wanted to retire next year if Mania was in Toronto. But apparently, was telling everyone over WrestleMania weekend, he'd never felt better and expected to continue on for another five years.

So he didn't know he was going to retire til' after Mania?

I'm sure he said in his speech that he only had the MRI recently and found out in the last week. The WWE wouldn't have let him wrestle if they had known the results before hand.

Apologies then. From dipping into the last few pages in the thread I saw someone had mentioned that he'd discussed his retirement prior to Mania.

He had discussed retiring because he was in a lot of pain, but they only realised the serious of it once he had the scans recently.

• Paid Members
Only got the tests done last Monday or Tuesday, as far as I've heard. Bit stupid of them to make the Extreme Rules match last week if they knew the retirement was coming this week.

Not sure how long it takes to get test results back, but bear in mind that SD is taped on a Tuesday and thus he may not have even had the results by then. He said in his speech that the first set of tests he had done actually didn't show as much damage. Agree it's a bit stupid as I'm sure they'll have known by the Friday it went on air, but by that point editing it out of the show might've been a bit difficult as it was the central focus of it.

• Paid Members
Right Mr Coyne?

Whatever. I was the only one of the two who actually posted something that celebrated his career. All I did was stand up to someone who was bring unnecessarily rude to me, and I won't apologies for that.

Oh jesus. Stand up to? It's an internet forum, stop being such a wetty.

Back on topic, hopefully once Edge get's bored of walking his dogs and eating ice cream all day he'll come back to WWE in either a agent or training capacity, he's got a lot of good experience to share. Also, that guys going to get FAT. He was never the most dedicated gym rat, now he's retired he's going to balloon up.

• Paid Members
Right Mr Coyne?

Whatever. I was the only one of the two who actually posted something that celebrated his career. All I did was stand up to someone who was bring unnecessarily rude to me, and I won't apologies for that.

Back on topic, hopefully once Edge get's bored of walking his dogs and eating ice cream all day he'll come back to WWE in either a agent or training capacity, he's got a lot of good experience to share. Also, that guys going to get FAT. He was never the most dedicated gym rat, now he's retired he's going to balloon up.

I dunno - I remember in his early career, he seemed to have trouble putting on mass, he looked very big but lean.

Right Mr Coyne?

I dunno - I remember in his early career, he seemed to have trouble putting on mass, he looked very big but lean.

He was also 12 years younger, metabolism would have worked a lot faster.

I was truly shocked when I watched Raw, I was watching spoiler free, and the way the whole promo was built up through the show screamed "angle". I kept waiting for Del Rio to interrupt, but lo and behold it was genuine. It really sucks, Edge hadn't been performing to his 06-08 standard, but he was still a great top guy. Was one of my favourites during the periods I would watch WWE regularly, Smackdown 02 and Raw 06. Now, as the Rock brought me back into wrestling, sad to see a guy I grew up with as a massive WWE fan hang the tights up.

Archived