Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members
One of my all time favorites, my favorite during 2006-2009

Just a tremendous heel, his feud with Cena in 2006 is still in my opinion the best of Cena's career. He managed to garner heat during this time and still was the most entertaining chararcter in wrestling. Remember he git Cena cheered in 2006 which such great talents like HHH and Kurt Angle could not do.

Im glad he got to have those good feuds with Ziggler and Del Rio as his 2010 was quite poor, so it was nice to see him go out on a high. If I had to name my best heel of all time id have 3 or 4 names on my mind and he would be one of them. I also believe him to be a tremendous worker as well, from world class matches with Undertaker and Foley, to carry jobs like the matches with Cena in 2006. He made John Morrison look like a million bucks on a match on Smackdown a few years back whilst still winning the match, very few performers can do that with a mid carder whilst being a main eventer.

Nice genuine farewell as well

Thank You Edge

Without changing the direction of the thread to make it about Cena, his 2006 match-set with the guy were NOT a carry job. Say what you like about John Cena as a character, from an in ring perspective he's probably the most consistant active wrestler in the company.

We will have to disagree then.

Cena was still very clumsy at this point and I thought that Edge carried him through their matches, it was masterful how Edge used his heat at this point to get Cena cheered which was so rare in 2006, Cena I believe learnt a lot from working with a worker as competent as Edge as I thought he showed improvemnet in the ring in 2007, which I still think is Cena's best year for in-ring performances.

Point me in the direction of a bad Cena match during that period? Was EVERYONE carrying him?

I loved his work right up to the end - he was the highlight of the run to wrestlemania PPVs in the last couple of years. Glad the WWE has changed and at least in these obvious cases they force the issue and test guys. I read they also did concussion testing for everyone the week before WM. Hopefully Edge makes his retirement work for him as HBK seems to be doing.

After his retirement is given enough time to sink in I'd love to see him oust the diabolical Booker T on the Smackdown announce table.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a big fan of Edges pretty much all throughout his career up until lately. I enjoyed him in the brood and loved the comedy years with Christian. I was still a fan of his when he went solo again and him cashing in the MITB to win the title against Cena in 2006 was one of my biggest mark out moments in the last 10 years, loved it. It was just since his return from injury last year that I got pretty bored of him, his in ring work wasn't bad, the whole Edge character had just became a bit stale to me. Great wrestler though, lots of moments in his career will be remembered.

One of my all time favorites, my favorite during 2006-2009

Just a tremendous heel, his feud with Cena in 2006 is still in my opinion the best of Cena's career. He managed to garner heat during this time and still was the most entertaining chararcter in wrestling. Remember he git Cena cheered in 2006 which such great talents like HHH and Kurt Angle could not do.

Im glad he got to have those good feuds with Ziggler and Del Rio as his 2010 was quite poor, so it was nice to see him go out on a high. If I had to name my best heel of all time id have 3 or 4 names on my mind and he would be one of them. I also believe him to be a tremendous worker as well, from world class matches with Undertaker and Foley, to carry jobs like the matches with Cena in 2006. He made John Morrison look like a million bucks on a match on Smackdown a few years back whilst still winning the match, very few performers can do that with a mid carder whilst being a main eventer.

Nice genuine farewell as well

Thank You Edge

Without changing the direction of the thread to make it about Cena, his 2006 match-set with the guy were NOT a carry job. Say what you like about John Cena as a character, from an in ring perspective he's probably the most consistant active wrestler in the company.

We will have to disagree then.

Cena was still very clumsy at this point and I thought that Edge carried him through their matches, it was masterful how Edge used his heat at this point to get Cena cheered which was so rare in 2006, Cena I believe learnt a lot from working with a worker as competent as Edge as I thought he showed improvemnet in the ring in 2007, which I still think is Cena's best year for in-ring performances.

Point me in the direction of a bad Cena match during that period? Was EVERYONE carrying him?

I loved his work right up to the end - he was the highlight of the run to wrestlemania PPVs in the last couple of years. Glad the WWE has changed and at least in these obvious cases they force the issue and test guys. I read they also did concussion testing for everyone the week before WM. Hopefully Edge makes his retirement work for him as HBK seems to be doing.

After his retirement is given enough time to sink in I'd love to see him oust the diabolical Booker T on the Smackdown announce table.

I think Kurt Angle, HHH and Jericho carried him to some extent throughout 2005-2006

I thought his match at Wrestlemania 21 with JBL was sub par as was his matches before that with Booker T, also remember the snoozefest with Big Show and Booker T at Cyber Sunday 2006?, put in their with inferior workers from 2004-2006 Cena was limited but like I said somewhere in the middle of 2007 he changed that as his matches with Khali and Lashley were a lot better than they should have been, I still maintain the Lashley match in many ways is the best in ring performance of Cena's career.

• Paid Members

Not as shocked as many people, as a few people mentioned on here recently that he was talking about retiring soon. It did come a lot quicker than I thought though, shame, as I could see a main event feud with Christian on the cards. They could've had a cracking final feud over the summer over the belt.

I do buy Edge as a world champion. Perhaps not the amount of times he has been world champion, but he is certainly one of the few I would put the belt on without hesitation and without worry of taking a risk. He is someone that I've never thought 'wow, he is shit hot' but at the same time I've never been bored from Edge. He has had some brilliant matches over the years and you could argue is the king of the ladder- given the amount of classics ladder-involved matches he has been involved in.

Fair play to him for retiring before he become imobile. Good luck to him.

His feud with Cena, and cashing in MiTB at New Year's Revolution were absolute gold to watch. I really don't think it was a case of anyone carrying anyone, merely the fact that two guys with great chemistry in the ring and on the stick put some graft in, and we as fans got some great TV out of it.

My favourite Edge match by far was his Wrestlemania match with Mick Foley, which for my money is the best hardcore match put on WWE TV.

I also had the pleasure of meeting him in HMV in Newcastle years ago with Lita, the guy has a great sense of humour.

Took me a while to accept him as a main event guy but generally enjoyed his work, especially in the Edge and Christian days. Will be strange not seeing him around anymore, I'm not sure what it is but for some reason it doesn't seem like he's been around as long as he has. Good luck to the future, hopefully he's retired before it's gotten too bad

Shocked and saddened by this news. I knew Edge was physically breaking down but didn't realise it was that bad.

Still, as has been said, he's a young man [37] and has found this out at the point where he can walk away instead of being wheeled or carried away from wrestling.

LOVED his [bill & Ted] Edge and Christian tag team work - absolute comedy gold.

He was the hottest heel in the biz at one point, and his partnership with Vickie Guerrero was absolute gold for a time.

I'd love to see him as a commentator or mouthpiece as he is a fantastic promo guy/mouthpiece.

Cheers for the memories Edge. You will be missed.

• Paid Members
`I say Edge run in at Lockdown and he is the Network!

If this actually did happen it'd just expose TNA as an uncaring, irresponsible company.

But if Edge actually does leave his WWE contract I have a strong suspicion TNA would make a real play to sign him...

Even if he wasn't injured, Edge would never wrestle in TNA. He's a boyhood WWF fan and with Hogan being as 'kind' to him as he was in his latest statement, the only person in Orlando who one would think could've conceivably talked him into it (his childhood hero) has blown it.

All that, plus he wouldn't be able to use the name Edge either, would be enough evidence even if he wasn't in the state he's in. Provided he was capable and wanted to continue, he'd stay in WWE.

• Paid Members

That was a massive shocker. I've obviously seen this thread all day but stayed out of it until i could see Raw. I assumed it was Rey Misterio. I'm stunned that it was Edge. I haven't always been a big fan but there's no doubt that the guy has quality and has given us some great moments through the years. Very classy send off, I was a bit choked up.

Wish him all the best in his future. This is a pretty obvious thing to say and has probably already been said but i think he'd make a damn fine commentator.

• Paid Members

From a purely selfish point of view, I wish he'd done it next week as I'm at Smackdown on Sunday and now he won't be there. Seeing Edge the night before he retired would have been something to tell people.

• Paid Members
Even if he wasn't injured, Edge would never wrestle in TNA. He's a boyhood WWF fan and with Hogan being as 'kind' to him as he was in his latest statement, the only person in Orlando who one would think could've conceivably talked him into it (his childhood hero) has blown it.

I cant see what he's said thats wrong, when you read the full tweet. Its easy to snip off parts of statements like the the post earlier on did and make it look like his giving him shit, but what he said was:

if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit 15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt. What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH

He then went on to say:

my take is with a unfixable neck injury it's over ,but he's one of the boys and it will be hard to keep him down,he's 4life. I'm not saying anything bad about Edge but he's a real wrestler,Stone Cold and Cena had neck surgery and u couldn't stop em,Or Edge it's in Edges blood,he lives for this business he's a real wrestler,he a lifer,he's one of the real boys,he's hard to hold down,that's all. HH

He says some whacky shit, but I think he's spot on here. Shawn Michaels came back. I wouldnt be surprised if Edge came back in the next 18 months. What I've read about Edge, he's not you family man type who had any dreams of retiring early. He's like Bret Hart in many ways. He's so into the wrestling lifestyle and the wrestlers mentality, that once he has surgury, its hard to imagine him not coming back for a WrestleMania match. He's only young. Hogan and Edge are buds. They go to see Aerosmith and KISS concerts together and shit. Edge should be the new Beefcake in my opinion.

If anyones read his shite book or watched shoot interviews with former WWE employees you get a sense he's a total student of the business. If anyones going to comeback, it'll be him. I'm surprised he even jacked it in at all.

Archived