Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

From a purely selfish point of view, I wish he'd done it next week as I'm at Smackdown on Sunday and now he won't be there. Seeing Edge the night before he retired would have been something to tell people.

In a way, I was the same. I'm going to Raw on Monday night, and when I bought the tickets I was very close to choosing Smackdown instead, cos I've never seen Edge live as a main eventer (only time I've seen him was at a house show when he was at upper midcard level and swapping between face and heel every 3 weeks). But I went for Raw as I've never seen CM Punk live. I would've been even more gutted if I had got Smackdown tickets and I feel bad for the Edge fans that are going next week. Maybe he'll fly over and make a special apperance after the cameras have stopped rolling.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was absolutely shocked and gutted hearing this announcement on raw last night, ive been an on and off edge fan for his whole career in wwe so its sad that we will probably never see him in the ring again but at the same time im glad he has taken the right advice and hung up the boots rather than risk paralysis in the ring from a bad bump.

im also grateful for the fact that i got to see him perform live once before he did hang up but i would have loved to have seem him live again next monday

thank you adam 'edge' copeland for everything you have done in the ring, enjoy retirement

I wouldnt be surprised if Edge came back in the next 18 months. What I've read about Edge, he's not you family man type who had any dreams of retiring early.

He said in an interview just before Mania that he didn't want to wrestle for much longer, he said 18 months tops.

I also recall him saying in his book that he wanted to get out of the business while he was still relatively young.

• Paid Members
Even if he wasn't injured, Edge would never wrestle in TNA. He's a boyhood WWF fan and with Hogan being as 'kind' to him as he was in his latest statement, the only person in Orlando who one would think could've conceivably talked him into it (his childhood hero) has blown it.

All that, plus he wouldn't be able to use the name Edge either, would be enough evidence even if he wasn't in the state he's in. Provided he was capable and wanted to continue, he'd stay in WWE.

I'm not saying he'd actually go there, just that they'd try and get him to. As an active wrestler.

• Paid Members
I wouldnt be surprised if Edge came back in the next 18 months. What I've read about Edge, he's not you family man type who had any dreams of retiring early.

He said in an interview just before Mania that he didn't want to wrestle for much longer, he said 18 months tops.

I also recall him saying in his book that he wanted to get out of the business while he was still relatively young.

Edge said privately that he had "5 more years left" in him, a few weeks ago according to the Observer update about his retirement. He'd supposedly convinced himself that he could keep on going late into his life. Thats what gets me thinking we havent seen the last of him. If he wass in denile over his condition, we might see him again someday.

Ironically, last nights promo by Edge was his best promo I've seen him cut recently. It seemed unscripted and stayed away from his usual 'trying to be funny and cool and ending up neither' style. He always struck me as a mark for himself and since his comeback has never really looked arsed about his physique. Think his retirement will allow the likes of Del Rio, Christian and others the chance to shine on Smackdown. Edge has destroyed the competition with ease lately (and he hasnt even had the feeling in his arms) which makes everyone else look like shite.

I definitely see him coming back in some role, but I can't see him taking the risk unless he's pretty sure he won't have a problem. He's a massive mark for the business but he doesn't strike me as being passionate to the point of being an idiot. I'm hoping he'll be on commentary fairly soon.

from rocks twitter

Edge - you are my brother, an inspiration and define the word "superstar". THANK YOU Adam.. for everything.

anyone think they will transfer anyone from raw immediatley maybe punk because he wasnt on the show but i think orton probably

• Paid Members

As it's not so long that Linda was trying to distance herself from the "WWE superstars end up crippled or dead" stuff, I'd be very surprised if they allowed Edge to wrestle entertain again with his neck issues. They also don't want another Kurt Angle.

Edge still has plenty to offer. Whilst he's only done short bouts before, he's capable of announcing. He can offer an insight into promos, character work, tag wrestling entertaining, and so on for the developmentals. Road agent, maybe? He's young enough that he can't be criticised for being out of touch with the current generation.

• Paid Members
As it's not so long that Linda was trying to distance herself from the "WWE superstars end up crippled or dead" stuff, I'd be very surprised if they allowed Edge to wrestle entertain again with his neck issues. They also don't want another Kurt Angle.

They just paid off Lloyds of London to allow a 50-year-old stroke victim wrestle in the main event at SummerSlam. Austin's neck is fucked as well, but I bet they wouldnt turn that down. They'd probably bring Kurt back as well, if he's not smacked off his tits on pills. And the Undertaker's neck, back and hips are destroyed. He cant wrestle more that a few times a year now. I'm sure if Edge wanted to comeback, it would be his decision. They just booked him in a ladder match on Smackdown didnt they?

anyone think they will transfer anyone from raw immediatley maybe punk because he wasnt on the show but i think orton probably

Perhaps, although I think it's more likely that this paves the way for Jericho to return after he leaves Dancing with the Stars.

Taken from TPWW.net. Some really funny / lovely stuff:

A major tribute to Edge took place after the SmackDown! taping in Albany, NY last night. I was there live and this was simply amazing to watch. Here is my report:

As SmackDown! ended, the entire WWE locker-room came out to the top of the stage as Edge stood in the ring. First, The Big Show came down the ramp and hugged Edge. He was then followed by Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio and Christian who was already in the ring. They all hugged him and shook hands. All of them were crying at this point. It should be noted that these were his best friends within WWE.

Triple H

Archived