Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

• Awards Moderator

It's a shame he's going, he seemed to be picking up steam again this year with the Ziggler and Del Rio matches and his entrance looked amazing in WWEHD, but as just about everyone else has said, it's very sensible and a very good thing that he's retiring now rather than risking himself. Going out on top, too, as a World champion who'd just won at WrestleMania.

I'll miss Edge - never a favourite but always someone I enjoyed, and he did do it all. One of the defining characters of the last decade, I'd say. Part of the last great tag team boom (and revolutionising a match type in the process), being part of some of WWE's best ever comedy, winning KOTR, dozens of Tag Team and IC title reigns, ELEVEN World Titles (and how many can say that), winning the Tag titles with his hero Hulk Hogan, having two of the great 'relationships' in wrestling history with Lita and Vickie, having a career-defining moment (cashing in MITB) and a career-defining feud (with Cena) - which not every wrestler gets - main eventing WrestleMania against Undertaker, winning the Royal Rumble, and on and on it goes.

In a way, he's sort of come full circle with his reunion with Christian, which is nice.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It's a shame he's going, he seemed to be picking up steam again this year with the Ziggler and Del Rio matches and his entrance looked amazing in WWEHD, but as just about everyone else has said, it's very sensible and a very good thing that he's retiring now rather than risking himself. Going out on top, too, as a World champion who'd just won at WrestleMania.

I'll miss Edge - never a favourite but always someone I enjoyed, and he did do it all. One of the defining characters of the last decade, I'd say. Part of the last great tag team boom (and revolutionising a match type in the process), being part of some of WWE's best ever comedy, winning KOTR, dozens of Tag Team and IC title reigns, ELEVEN World Titles (and how many can say that), winning the Tag titles with his hero Hulk Hogan, having two of the great 'relationships' in wrestling history with Lita and Vickie, having a career-defining moment (cashing in MITB) and a career-defining feud (with Cena) - which not every wrestler gets - main eventing WrestleMania against Undertaker, and on and on it goes.

In a way, he's sort of come full circle with his reunion with Christian, which is nice.

From a completely selfish perspective I'm gutted the two never got to have the feud it seemed they were building towards.

On another note, it just seems too soon for Edge to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I've no doubt he will be eventually, but I don't think it's quite "his time" yet.

Anyone think Edge will be in the Hall of Fame next year?

I reckon it'll depend on just how likely Toronto will be the venue for WM XXIX. If that happens, I'd expect not only Edge's induction but also Trish Strattus'

Matt Hardy's Twitter...

Heard Adam is retiring because of physical issues that won't allow him to safely continue wrestling. He'll be missed, we've certainly had our fair share of issues.. Both good and bad. But I tip my hat to Edge who is one of the greatest I've ever been in the ring with. Adam resides in NC now-sure I'll run into him down the road. Glad that him & I are in a good place. We came in as friends, & went out that way.

• Paid Members
Oh, also, I reckon they'll probably use John Morrison as the replacement Edge over on SmackDown.

He's in the dog house for being a complete melon with the whole Trish/Snooki cold shoulder thing.

I think R-Truth will get moved to Smackdown after Extreme Rules.

took from somewhere else

tumblr_ljjbwoVAAy1qa2a8t.gif

Hes had a fantastic career easily in my top 5 of all time done absoltuly everything anyone wanting to be a wrestler would want to do and selfishly id love him to get inducted in the hall of fame in his hometown

Thanks Edge enjoy the ice cream

Probably my favourite of all-time, absolutely gutted that he's leaving. I think I was one of the only people that enjoyed his 2010. Major gutted he won't be there for my first Mania, but there'll hopefully a Hall of Fame induction.

On the other hand, I couldn't be happier he's been sensible and retired when doctors told him to.

Just noticed that the last Smackdown (filmed after Edge apparently went for the MRI scans) that when he hit the spear on Brodus Clay, he appears to be holding is head/neck area straight away after performing the move.

It's always a shame for this type of thing to happen, however he is definately doing the right thing in retiring. Good for Edge for thinking about the future and trying to be a hero and good for the WWE for letting Edge handle the situation with dignity and also for not expecting uneccessary heroics. Hulk Hogan's comment was really silly

if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago.

considering Andre's been dead 18 years; Hennig's been dead almost a decade; Orndorff, Anderson and Blanchard have all been retired a long time and Hogan and Flair should both have retired long before now too.

I am sure he is right about this though:

I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH

Besides, I really don't think serious neck injuries are anything to take lightly and work through. I believe Misawa's neck problems in his later years were similar to Edge's and eventually the wrong bump caught up with him.

One of my all time favorites, my favorite during 2006-2009

Just a tremendous heel, his feud with Cena in 2006 is still in my opinion the best of Cena's career. He managed to garner heat during this time and still was the most entertaining chararcter in wrestling. Remember he git Cena cheered in 2006 which such great talents like HHH and Kurt Angle could not do.

Im glad he got to have those good feuds with Ziggler and Del Rio as his 2010 was quite poor, so it was nice to see him go out on a high. If I had to name my best heel of all time id have 3 or 4 names on my mind and he would be one of them. I also believe him to be a tremendous worker as well, from world class matches with Undertaker and Foley, to carry jobs like the matches with Cena in 2006. He made John Morrison look like a million bucks on a match on Smackdown a few years back whilst still winning the match, very few performers can do that with a mid carder whilst being a main eventer.

Nice genuine farewell as well

Thank You Edge

• Paid Members

Just a tremendous heel, his feud with Cena in 2006 is still in my opinion the best of Cena's career. He managed to garner heat during this time and still was the most entertaining chararcter in wrestling. Remember he git Cena cheered in 2006 which such great talents like HHH and Kurt Angle could not do.

Im glad he got to have those good feuds with Ziggler and Del Rio as his 2010 was quite poor, so it was nice to see him go out on a high. If I had to name my best heel of all time id have 3 or 4 names on my mind and he would be one of them. I also believe him to be a tremendous worker as well, from world class matches with Undertaker and Foley, to carry jobs like the matches with Cena in 2006. He made John Morrison look like a million bucks on a match on Smackdown a few years back whilst still winning the match, very few performers can do that with a mid carder whilst being a main eventer.

Thank You Edge

Without changing the direction of the thread to make it about Cena, his 2006 match-set with the guy were NOT a carry job. Say what you like about John Cena as a character, from an in ring perspective he's probably the most consistant active wrestler in the company.

I loved his work right up to the end - he was the highlight of the run to wrestlemania PPVs in the last couple of years. Glad the WWE has changed and at least in these obvious cases they force the issue and test guys. I read they also did concussion testing for everyone the week before WM. Hopefully Edge makes his retirement work for him as HBK seems to be doing.

Besides, I really don't think serious neck injuries are anything to take lightly and work through. I believe Misawa's neck problems in his later years were similar to Edge's and eventually the wrong bump caught up with him.

I'm definitely with this. Orndorff ended up in a pathetic place with his atrophy and other issues by carrying on wrestling for his run with Hogan. Hogan is in horrible physical shape when he could of retired years ago and kept a much better quality of life - IanHmH might slag me off for this but I find that saddest of all and his tweet is pretty consistent with that.

Thank You Edge

Without changing the direction of the thread to make it about Cena, his 2006 match-set with the guy were NOT a carry job. Say what you like about John Cena as a character, from an in ring perspective he's probably the most consistant active wrestler in the company.

We will have to disagree then.

Cena was still very clumsy at this point and I thought that Edge carried him through their matches, it was masterful how Edge used his heat at this point to get Cena cheered which was so rare in 2006, Cena I believe learnt a lot from working with a worker as competent as Edge as I thought he showed improvemnet in the ring in 2007, which I still think is Cena's best year for in-ring performances.

Archived