Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't been one of my favourites for a while, but he's been a massive part of the company for years and it'll be weird not having him around. He had a pretty amazing career when you think about it, it's a shame he's lost his career, but as people have been saying, good for him (and the WWE) for putting his health first.

I enjoyed a lot of Edge's work, and am sad to see him retire (albeit happy he's jumped while he's still fairly healthy).

However, I could never see him being a great the way guys like Taker, HHH, Angle, etc are as I don't think he could carry anyone in a meaningful way.

Sure he had his moments like against Cena, but Cena was super-over. When it came time to put newer guys over like Swagger I don't think Edge was able to take it to the next level, maybe he was too used to being in the ring with seasoned generals.

Having not seen Raw, and read all about Larry Sweeney yesterday, you can imagine how worried I was when I went on Twitter this morning to see Adam Copeland as top 10 worldwide trend :confused:

Very sad news - not necessarily because he was one of my favourite wrestlers, but because he was clearly one of the most passionate and 'into' wrestling, especially as a fan. It's always great to see someone succeed that is so genuinely into the business.

A real shame, as people have said he clearly loved what he did, and although no one can distinguish one title reign of his from another, isn't that the same as most people's reigns these days? Still, if he does make an a return to TV in some capacity, it should be at the commentary desk, he would absolutely excel there no doubt.

• Paid Members

Agreed on the fact that he always fitted the 'upper mid card' role rather than main event to me, but he always worked hard and climbed the ranks to the top.

I would love to see him on commentary. He would be a natural I think.

I couldn't take any of Edge's farewell speech seriously because I was convinced Del Rio would be out to slag him off which would eventually lead to Edge accepting 'one more match', since, y'know, it had already been set as Edge's speciality match at the next PPV. Then Del Rio could brag about ending Edge's career, while Edge leaves by passing the gold onto someone new.

When it finished I just thought, 'oh well, WWE missed out there, they'll probably just waste the angle on this week's SmackDown instead.' Perhaps the dozen firings or 'I'll quit' storylines over the last few months have skewered with my mind.

Not a real shock given the extent of the injuries he's been carrying for a long time, but very sad to see him go. One of my favourite heels of recent years.

It would be great if they put the belt on his best mate as a kind of thank you, even just for a short run.

Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns.

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI in Atlanta last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

This all sounds unnerringly familiar. Seen as Ive got the same discs that are fucked. Im surprised he made it this far.

Shame really enjoyed Edges work, the likes of the Hell in a Cell with Taker at SummerSlam even if people didnt like it, good as Edge and Christian. A good run. I hope he isnt plagued by pain for the rest of his life and manages to walk away from wrestling relatively unscathed.

• Paid Members

I really wasnt expecting this when i woke up this morning, i always thought i had a few years left, but in theory hes going out on top.

Mrs T is gutted, (hes her favourite wrestler), but in all fairness if hes totally knackerd and has the money, he should retire. Im guessing he'll stay on with the company in some fasion, Trainer/agent etc, but i wish him all the best.

Thank you edge!

*Edit: We may also now get another Edge book out, which would be fantastic!*

Archived