Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

At tonight's WWE RAW, Edge revealed that due to the spinal fusion surgery he had around ten years ago, his neck is now too badly injured for him to continue wrestling, and that he is being medically forced to retire. He made a heartfelt speech, announcing this live in Bridgeport, Connecticut, before briefly doing his trademark 'devil horns' pose on the ramp and being given a guard of honour by the roster in the back.

Obviously as a result, the World Heavyweight Championship presumably stands vacant, but more importantly, what kind of impact will this have? Edge had been getting somewhat stale, but I'm really not sure I was quite ready to see him retire; what do you guys think? Could it even be an angle, albeit one that hasn't really been built to?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd read he was thinking of retiring in the next 18 months. Never thought he was packing it in now though. Nice to see them give him a bit of time to give his speech. He hasnt really been to good since his return in 2010, from what I've seen of him. Surprised he's gone. Cant see it being an angle, after how they treated Shawn Michaels retirement with kid gloves after Flair's big send off turned out to not being a send off. With Michaels talking about how retirements are usually bullshit, I'd be surprised if they sent Edge out to do a retirement angle.

On a different note, I can see Christian winning the belt now then.

Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns.

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI in Atlanta last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

At tonight's WWE RAW, Edge revealed that due to the spinal fusion surgery he had around ten years ago, his neck is now too badly injured for him to continue wrestling, and that he is being medically forced to retire. He made a heartfelt speech, announcing this live in Bridgeport, Connecticut, before briefly doing his trademark 'devil horns' pose on the ramp and being given a guard of honour by the roster in the back.

Obviously as a result, the World Heavyweight Championship presumably stands vacant, but more importantly, what kind of impact will this have? Edge had been getting somewhat stale, but I'm really not sure I was quite ready to see him retire; what do you guys think? Could it even be an angle, albeit one that hasn't really been built to?

The way it was teased screamed angle, or a cheesy lead-in for a Del Rio/Edge confrontation. But once he started talking, it was obviously not an angle. Completely out of the blue, especially as he'd said he wanted to finish up in Toronto. I'm definitely not ready to see him go, he is/was the perfect foil for Del Rio right now, and in terms

of promos there are very few who are better. As for the belt, i'd assume it's del

Rio/Christian now at Extreme Rules.

really sad and out of the blue too. the bit in his speech about growing up in front of our eyes really got me for a sec, and i liked the acknowledgment he made to JR. has provided loads of great moments, but im sure we'll see him back from time to time.

as far as fave moments go, a lot of his 2006 stuff sticks out; his cashing in the first time round might be one of the great holy shit moments of the decade.

Genuinely quite upset over this - not so much because he's having to retire, but more because I'm so very glad that he had the severity of his condition looked into before it was too late. This may not have been his preferred way of taking his final bow, but it certainly beats him blindly soldiering on and ending up paralysed or dead.

On a positive note, this is likely to mean good things for Christian as he's naturally the most appropriate candidate to fill Edge's shoes at this point in time. Not only that, but it should prompt a shake-up of the Smackdown roster now that one of the show's top draws has gone.

From Twitter...

I've shed my tears..And from here on out I choose 2celebrate 1 of the greatest careers in WWE history..Cant wait2 induct u in the HOF

Another year, another big name immediate entry. I mean, obviously it's not official, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

I've ragged on him a bit this year, but's it's still hugely sad. On one hand I'm happy to see the guy escape with what's left of his health - as we learned from SD!, Edge + Wheelchair = Brutal - but overall the guy's been great. He was part of a legitimately great tag-team, was a super-over mid-carder for a fair while and then eventually a fantastic heel champion. People who contribute in every area like that are increasingly rare and, cheapened title histories be damned, that's the real mark of a grandslam career. He did it all.

Fuck, thats a shock. I was expecting a big send off for him at Mania 28 not for the end to come so suddenly. But yeah, glad this was caught before it was too late and something bad occured on a house show in nowhere city. I hope the wear and tear can gradually heal up so he can continue his remaining days in comfort, he's given us 13 years which for the most part were very good. Maybe WWE can release a new DVD as tribute to him and his best moments from said years chosen by himself.

I really hope his spot is filled by Christian, it seems right IMO.

I thought it was gonna be some sort of angle at first where Del Rio paid off a doctor to pretend that Edge wasn't phsically fit, but halfway through it kicked in that it wasn't, he's been one of my favourites for the last 13 years, really loved the fact that he came up through the roster in an old school fashion, from tag team to singles competitor and not being rushed to the title, that way you saw the progression. Most of the stuff he's done in his career has been awesome. From TLC's, to his terrific matches with Benoit, Angle, Eddie, Orton, Christian, Flair etc. to cashing in the Money In The Bank, to his feuds with Cena, Undertaker & Del Rio, to carrying Smackdown for about 5 years and making that show mean something. Thank God he didn't end up paralyzed or dead, there's been too many that have suffered that same from wrestling and it's a lot better for him to go out like this than in the back of an ambulance. Thank You Edge, you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and it would just reek of awesomeness if Christian inducted him. :)

Sad to see him retire but glad they spotted the severity of his problems before it was too late.

He had a fantastic career, accomplished a hell of alot and has been one of the most consistent performers in the last 10 years (behind only HBK & Jericho imo).

No doubt he'll have a job for life in WWE behind the scenes if he wants it, and rightfully so.

Edge will forever be the guy that kept bringing back into watching Wwe. When he started in 1998 in the middle of the attitude era, he immediately made myself take notice and I was an instant fan. I always wanted him to be World champion and the fact he has earned his right to be an 11 time champion, shows what a great career he has had.

Shame that its ended in not his prefered situation. But he retires as World champion, a hall of fame induction next year is fully deserved and he can try live a pain free life.

Sad that its been taken away from him and he could'nt leave after a toronto show.

I think a future in the Wwe could be in the broadcast booth as he is a great talker. I hope he comes back in some form.

Forever an Edgehead!

Archived