Major WWE superstar retires through injury

Daaaaaad!

Very shocking. Edge is one of my favourite wrestlers, and certainly my favourite throughout most of the last decade. Yeah he was shit for most of 2010, but he'd regained form against Ziggler and Del Rio so it's nice that he got to do that before he went out. And great that he called it quits in time. Fantastic career, I'll miss watching him. It's strange, a bit like the Shawn Michaels one. They always talk about how they're going to retire soon, but you never really take it in until it happens.

A few of my top Edge memories:

- Edge's birthday in 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1V1iWyusrA

- Looking at old pictures with Kurt Angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgvhWDxx4w

- The first Money in the Bank cash-in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThiSco0PHE

- The WrestleMania match with Undertaker, which for me was one of the best matches of all time:

Hopefully Smackdown will have a great video package of his career. I was teary-eyed during the speech, I reckon a good Edge montage will get my facecheeks a bit wet.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't trust this retirement yet. Not when there's still tonight's Smackdown taping for something to happen and reveal it as an angle.

Nah man, pretty sure that was genuine.

If it was all an angle, then Edge shouldn't have been wasting his talents in the WWE for the past decade, he should've been making millions in Hollywood.

Out of interest, is this similar to what forced Stone Cold to retire also?

• Paid Members
if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago

but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!

This was the full thing he wrote. Best show the full thing instead of the what can turn out to be the bad points:

Edge retired tonight. Looks legit too. Can't get medical cleareance for neck injury. Any thoughts on him?

if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago. but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. wrestlers work hurt! What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH

Cant see anything wrong with it. Wrestlers (including Edge) have shown there willingness to work injured. Edge and Hogan are real life pals. He wasnt making some sweeping statement. He was answering a question about a wrestler retiring with an injury.

• Paid Members

Really sad news. He's definately in my top 5 of all time, and even though he's been pretty rubbish since he broke it off with Vickie, he's still up there with the best for me.

One thing I'll miss more than anything is his music. No matter how many different styles WWE have introduced in the last few years, Edge's still remains the best by far.

Maybe this could be the time to finally get rid of Teddy Long and make Edge Smackdown GM?

Very shocking. Edge is one of my favourite wrestlers, and certainly my favourite throughout most of the last decade. Yeah he was shit for most of 2010, but he'd regained form against Ziggler and Del Rio so it's nice that he got to do that before he went out. And great that he called it quits in time. Fantastic career, I'll miss watching him. It's strange, a bit like the Shawn Michaels one. They always talk about how they're going to retire soon, but you never really take it in until it happens.

A few of my top Edge memories:

- Edge's birthday in 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1V1iWyusrA

- Looking at old pictures with Kurt Angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgvhWDxx4w

- The first Money in the Bank cash-in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThiSco0PHE

- The WrestleMania match with Undertaker, which for me was one of the best matches of all time:

Hopefully Smackdown will have a great video package of his career. I was teary-eyed during the speech, I reckon a good Edge montage will get my facecheeks a bit wet.

Watching those videos is brilliant - especially the old school Edge and Christian ones. I used to love their interaction with Mick Foley as commissioner, some of which is on here:

• Paid Members

I read the thread title in the morning before I watched RAW and was certain it was The Undertaker retiring for 10 months. So I was in double shock when the graphic popped up on RAW with 'Edge retiring?".

Edge always came across as a top bloke and seemed to be enthusiastic about anything he did with WWE. So this will no doubt be a kick in the teeth to the guy. I guess this also explains why he has been so shit since he returned at the Rumble last year - the guy is physically a mess.

First thing I thought of when it was over is who WWE are giving the Spear to in a couple of months. My vote is for Mason Ryan.

• Paid Members
Edge always came across as a top bloke and seemed to be enthusiastic about anything he did with WWE. .

Erm, that whole Matt Hardy-Lita thing? Did he really come across as a top bloke during all that? Because I'm fairly sure everyone thought he was a bit of a dick during that whole incident.

Don;t get me wrong, I'm sad he's retiring, I was always a fan, but lets keep some perspective before we start cannonizing the guy.

• Paid Members

Pretty shocking, out of the blue stuff. Really good that they found this out before his ladder match at Extreme Rules, though.

Hopefully they'll make this coming episode of Smackdown a tribute to Edge, the guy's pretty much defined the show over the last five years so it's no less than he deserves.

Archived