30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

• Paid Members
he could beat anyone up for real (The Blue Meanie's black eye of June 2005 is an example of this).

No, that's just an example of him being a TWAT.

Whenever Ring of Honor is brought up in conversation, many of us will instantly think of a psychology-free, spot-heavy, characterless haven for fat, greasy American fans who've never been laid and rarely venture far from their parents' houses.

when the Briscoes weren't performing in bouts which amounted to little more than wanking material for the hardcore ROH perverts,

(granted, there was only so much he could do in front of 42 fans in some of the venues).

Rave was one of the few guys in ROH who got over by merit of his character, not how many rotations he could turn coming from the top rope or how hard he could kick his opponent whilst wearing kick pads.

This post mates you come across as an absolute bell end working as hard as you can to reinforce the stereotype and ingratiate yourself to the rest of the anti-ROH brigade, which at times provides almost as much back-slapping and self-congratulation as the twerps over on their board. * If liked, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a room, an "ROH is for teh virgins" t-shirt each and a biscuit so you can get over with. Let me know who gets to eat the biscuit.

Rave IS under rated though, his spell in the Embassy and Danielson match not withstanding (which I'm surprised the rest of the Biscuit Alley Club let you watch), his heel hook/House of the Rising Sun/"serious" spell was really good. He wore that sneer as a proud badge of honour (no pun intended) and like most great characters I feel it was born out of real life with the volume turned up to 11. He probably did loathe most of those fans and think he was above them after the way they dumped on him before. They engineered an excellent little run where we were dying to see Nigel knock his block off, and then delivered on it.

My choice? Tricky.

In terms of under rated by fans, I'd go with Dean Malenko. In terms of Japan, EcW and WcW he contested as many thrilling matches as the rest of the "New Japan Four" yet never achieved anywhere near the level of success and is never lauded as having as much talent as them. I suppose perception is reality, and Don was never booked on top. The rap against him also is that he didnt have much charisma, but there were plenty of times he got great reactions of the WcW faithful, I dont think he was any worse a talker than Ted Bundy and his "eyes of ice" where as powerful to me as Bundy's throat slitting in the middle of an intense match.

In terms of under rated by promotions, Double A. Treated as disposable by Crockett when he and Tully left, perennially in another man's shadow. Admittedly The Enforcer was a great lieutenant, and you can be forgiven for being in another man's shadow when he's Ric fucking Flair, and it was a different era, but any man with skills of Arn who just "gets it" in terms of how to make a match work would be rewarded with main events these days. A consummate pro who should never have been asked to put over shite like The Renegade and Booty Man, but the very reason he would have been asked was because as an absolute professional, he would have done so without saying a word.

* Almost.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Great minds, Gladstone.

That's why we're the best.

I liked Jimmy Rave in the Rock 'n Rave Infection, plus Christy Hemme dressed all slutty and rock chick which was nice. They should have done more with them, they were great.

I agree with the Zack Ryder choices really hope he gets a well deserved push soon.

559934.jpg

For my pick I am going to go with Al Snow - Fantastic Psychology, Solid wrestler, Great entertainer and terrific promo ability. Far more than 'the guy with the manikin head'. Hall of Fame material in my book.

Day 2 - Favourite DVD - The Rise and Fall of ECW. A great documentary with some great extra's too.

Day 3 - Underrated Wrestler. The modern most underrated at the moment must be Zack Ryder but there's been so many talents in the last 6 years that WWE have dropped the ball with.

But right now Zack is underused and i hope his youtube show gets the attention of the bosses and they give him a run for a month with someone higher up the card such as Cena or Orton just to see how he handles it.

My choice - Mike Knox.

I didn't see this guy that often as I only rarely watch Smackdown, but he looked like a serious motherfucker to me. He's huge, a bull of a man who moves fast and looks devastating.

How they managed to not do more with him, I don't know. In the old days he's have been built up as a monster and fed to the face champ at a PPV, at the very least!

He's only 32 as well.

I'm going to go with Jerry Lynn - excellent wrestler, some awesome matches over his career but for various reasons never got a decent run in one of the big companies. Plus, I interviewed him last week and he's a sound dude!

• Paid Members
My choice - Mike Knox.

I didn't see this guy that often as I only rarely watch Smackdown, but he looked like a serious motherfucker to me. He's huge, a bull of a man who moves fast and looks devastating.

How they managed to not do more with him, I don't know. In the old days he's have been built up as a monster and fed to the face champ at a PPV, at the very least!

He's only 32 as well.

I was going to say Knox, but although he's not really got the push within WWE that he maybe should have he still seemed to get praise from fans and from his peers in interviews.

I thought his move to Smackdown would have done wonders for the guy, but unfortunately he was seriously wasted. It seems he'd have been better off had he stayed on RAW, where they actually did some great things with him.

I'm going to suggest another...

Kozlov.jpg

Kozlov

OK, his match with Triple H at Survivor Series was terrible, but he's nowhere near as bad in the ring as some people make out, in fact, he had some pretty enjoyable matches during his Smackdown run. On his day he looks a total badass monster in the ring, and as a heel he looks absolutely emotionless - in a good way. A calm, unfeeling psychopath. I'd like to see him move to Smackdown at the draft and become a monster heel once again, WWE is seriously needing one right now.

• Paid Members

I love Kozlov and enjoyed his match with HHH. He's the one big guy I've seen who's holds and moves I beleive. Stuff like Mark Henry doing a bear hug just seemed like he was doing it because he was fat and couldn't do much else, whereas Koslov looked like he was picking his opponents apart limb by limb. He does some class suplexes too.

• Paid Members

D'Lo Brown. He was more over in 1999 than 90% of the business in any promotion. He had the look, the theme music, he could talk, his moves were over and he strutted to the ring like he owned the place. And he never had many bad matches when he was in his prime run. He was as consistant as you can get. Shame he wasnt used to the standard which they were using him at SummerSlam 99, because the roof was lifted when he arrived for his match with Jeff Jarrett. He doesnt get spoke of today though, so I put him in the underrated camp. People forget how popular he was.

D-Lo-Brown-WWE-Superstar-12.jpg

Double J Jeff Jarrett. Sure, he's done well with every company he's been in, but alot of fans still see him as somebody who is lucky to even be in his position. Complete bullshit. He's the best heel in the business today, he played an outstanding face during his feud with Kurt a few years back, and him and Angle had one of the most underappreciated matches of recent history at Genesis 09. I'd love to see him have another run with the belt.

Good shouts for Drew McIntyre, Zack Ryder and Mike Knox. Heath Slater is pretty good too and seems to be universally hated.

The fall of D-Lo was another sad one as well. He was one of my favourite wrestlers in 1999. I went off him when he became Godfather's sidekick and started hanging around with Chaz and Tiger Ali Singh, although I did quite like that time Lo Down turned up in a big tag match on a pay-per-view once. I remember being chuffed when I heard he came back to Raw and had a blindfold match with Triple H as well.

To anyone who might remember -- was the Lo Down trackie bottoms an alternative attire choice for D-Lo on the No Mercy game?

• Paid Members

D'Lo started going downhill after the Droz incident and they took the European title off him, which was a sin because with him it really meant something. True, Angle made it seem important too for all of a month, but neither D'Lo nor the title seemed as important without the other in the years that followed. D'Lo easily could have moved up to a perennial Intercontinental Champion / contender if Jericho/Benoit/Eddy hadn't arrived at roughly the same time as D'Lo faltering. Plus it seemed that as his push diminished his waistline expanded.

To anyone who might remember -- was the Lo Down trackie bottoms an alternative attire choice for D-Lo on the No Mercy game?

Nah, but there was a pair of trackies you could buy that were easily recoloured to the Lo-Down look for he and Mosh/Chaz.

I'm gonna go with Billy Gunn. This guy is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. I've watched him single handedly make matches more entertaining by getting his ass handed to him. This often happened in N.A.O. matches. He was actually a pretty good tag team wrestler. The Smoking Gunns were pretty good as well. He gets a lot of shit, and I don't think he's worth much of it.

Archived