30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The game that was on the Gameboy. Can't remember the title but I was always Mr. Perfect and you had to fight up past Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan.

Superstars. Same here. Making Perfect do the suplex and pretending it was the Perfect Plex, and the wonderfully OTT kneeling piledriver animation. OUCH.

I just need to point something out which I forgot to mention in the OP:

The discussion for the question of the day will begin at around 7:00am each morning, as opposed to as soon as the clock strikes midnight. I have my alarm set for 6:30 every morning so it just means that I can post the question's title ensuring that we have a clear and easily identifiable starting point for each discussion.

Also, all of the posts today have been absolutely amazing. If we can keep this level of discussion up throughout then this thread will be awesome!

Cheers x

• Paid Members

game01g.jpg

I also had this!! I'm impressed to see so many other people had it. It was fucking rubbish, even for the time.

I didn't actually own a wrestling game for a console until WCW/nWo Revenge on the N64. I must have clocked around 500 hours of gameplay on that game until WWF WrestleMania 2000 came out. Then I reckon I must have clocked up over 500 hours of gameplay on that, until No Mercy came out. I had zero social life at that time in my life, I'd just come home from school and beast the 64 all night.

Mine was WWF Attitude for the PS1, it was my cousin's game and I used to love going round his house because we'd play it for hours, even though I didn't watch wrestling at the time (He was actually the guy who got me into wrestling by showing me the TLC Tag at Summerslam). Still one of my favourite wrestling games for pure nostalgia.

Cool idea for a thread. This certainly is a trip down memory lane and I've been wracking my brain trying to think which game it was I actually played first. I also find it interesting that some people got into wrestling through playing the games first because even though I was 'aware of' wrestling for as long as I can remember and did watch it occasionally with my dad and even vividly remember playing in wrestling matches at school before I even got into it properly the first wrestling games I played were a bit of a blur to me. I mean I played rasslin' games but then I also played a bunch of other sports type games and I couldn't see those getting me into tennis or motorbike racing or whatever.

I noticed people mentioning arcade games then if they count the first few I played were non-WWF games on those. The one I played the most is one I played in an arcade one time around 1986 that had what I believe was Pro Wrestling that was also on Nintendo since I vaguely remember a lot of the crazy names/moves from that and I never owned it myself although it didn't mean much to me at the time. Whatever it was a few years later after I had gotten into wrestling I remember staying away one summer somewhere that had that same Pro Wrestling game and really enjoying it that time around pretending that the different wrestlers on their were my favourites from the WWF mostly that one guy with Hogan's skin tone/hairstyle and arguing with this and getting into an argument with this older kid/teenager who was an NWA fan that told me I didn't know anything about wrestling. That may have been the first wrestling game I played although I'm sure there was another totally different one (I know because the other one featured tag teams) around the same time/possibly even earlier than that. I'd actually forgotten about both of those until something triggered my memory a few years ago. Wish I remembered more about them. :(

First one I remember playing on a home computer was part of a general sports type game on my mate's computer (may have been an Atari) which was strange in retrospect because it was definitely pro wrestling (with ropes and a ring) even though it was part of some Olympic type sports game. Think it may have been a tag match, to boot. I just remember all the wrestlers looked the same with plain trunks but we still pretended they were someone more interesting - "You be Jake the Snake and Hulk Hogan, I'll be Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase" type stuff.

Then the one I liked best (and the only one I really remember in detail/remembered at all until someone mentioned those other ones a few years back) was a tag team game called 'The Main Event' which they had at a local sports center near me back in Winter 1988-89. The reason I remember it was because the side of the machine had a picture of a fake Mean Gene with a fake Road Warriors/Powers of Pain-type tag team and Well, that and the fact I was nine years old and a bonafide wrestling maniac by that point. The game itself was tag matches with a white-haired Hulk Hogan, a fake Randy Savage and a fake Koko B. Ware (three of my favourites at the time). Probably others as well and I actually became a bit of a Ricky Steamboat fan through the game since he was gone by the time I became a 'proper' fan but I had seen a match of his, heard a lot about him at school, and my dad said that was one of the guy's on the game. I thought the graphics were great to the extent that for years I thought that was the best game wrestling I'd played and I'd be disappointed whenever WWF brought out the latest one on the C64 and NES (the only two I owned at the time) in the early 90s. Don't remember much about the game play other than how hard it was to pin someone because your opponent's partner would stomp you to break up the pinfall. I remember playing that quite a bit at the weekend and then one day it was gone and that was that. For as big as wrestling got a few years later (when it seemed to be everywhere) I never did see that game anywhere else and still haven't.

First wrestling game I actually owned was around 1990 with either Rock 'N Wrestle for the C64 - which had a pretty cool collection of wrestlers but was very hard to get the hang of which I bought for cheap around 1989-90 (certainly it was a few years after it came out because I remember thinking how dated the graphics looked; or the WrestleMania handheld game around the same time - which was the first official game I owned and probably one of the better handheld type games I played back then until it got stolen from my bag in school (never did find out who). Despite going back to the shop where I bought it I was was never able to find it again and never knew anyone else who had it that I could borrow it from. My mum ended up buying me another LCD game (I believe it was called Wizards and Warriors and I've probably still got it somewhere) one from the same company instead which was alright but it wasn't WrestleMania. :(

Didn't get any after that until the more well known ones came out when WWF got massive over here.

It's weird to think of people's first wrestling games being 'official' ones since half the fun in those old arcade type games was pretending the fake wrestlers on them were your favourites from the telly.

My favourite wrestling DVD of all time has to be the fantastic Rise and Fall of ECW. I remember still being a relatively new fan at the time of the invasion angle and having never really heard of ECW, I was unfamiliar with a lot of the names and what the company was about. I stopped watching wrestling for a few years after the wrestling business began suffering a hangover from the glory of the past few years (late '01), and started watching again in mid/late 2005.

I don't remember at which point I actually bought the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD and what actually gave me the urge to do so, but as I began to watch it I was instantly mesmerised by it all; I'd never seen anything quite like it and I had actually always been against the no-selling/little psychology style of wrestling (this was before I had any idea that those were the terms used). A friend once gave me an ECW tape to watch and I couldn't stand the fact that people were kicking out after taking bumps through tables and after taking mind bending chair shots.

However, I got this and I loved everything about it, and I've watched it over and over again countless times. It was one of the first things I'd seen that broke down a lot of walls in wrestling to me, and opened the door to a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff. Power Slam magazine was initially what introduced me to the inner workings of pro wrestling, but I'd only bought a couple of issues before I saw this disc so it was a real eye-opener.

The DVD played a very large part in me getting into the 'inside' stuff in the first place, and led me onto finding the whole 'internet wrestling community'. I'm sure that it's safe to assume that the vast majority of us wouldn't still be wrestling fans if it wasn't for the whole internet shit and places like the UKFF.

I'm sure I don't need to delve into great lengths about what actually makes the DVD so special, so I'll just summarise with this: The Rise and Fall of ECW is a perfectly orchestrated and put together piece which played a pivotal role in me still being a wrestling fan today, and for that I will have to choose this as my favourite pro wrestling DVD ever.

dvd.jpg

^ I've always wanted to watch that DVD Baz, but it's never in the local HMV and I never remember to order it when I'm online. I might order it tonight.

Power Slam ranked the Ultimate Ric Flair Collection as the greatest grap disc ever, but the Naitch mark inside me is ashamed to admit that I've never seen that either. That's another I need to order whilst I'm at it.

WWE1094-front.jpg

The Rise And Fall Of ECW would be my favourite wrestling DVD (Non PPV/Event at least) as it is such an interesting story that I can get stuck into anytime. I must admit though, I did find it hard to choose between this DVD, The ECW's Most Extreme Matches DVD, and The Best Of Raw 15th Anniversary DVD. I love all three of them, but I think the one I chose is the best out of the bunch.

• Paid Members

The Rise and Fall of ECW for me too, my favourite ever documentary, wrestling or otherwise. By far the most honest DVD WWE has ever produced, no attempting to re-write history here. It's uplifting and heartbreaking all at the same time. You don't have to be an ECW fan to appreciate how great this is.

Archived