30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

It's gotta be 'Beyond the Mat' for me. It came out when I was first really getting into wrestling around '99. To see a documentary that looked at the people underneath their wrestling personalities and went behind the scenes was so awesome at the time. Not only that, but the fact that its a really well put together film in its own right.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

797547.jpg

This DVD was made for me. A long playing DVD cut into bytesize clips, covering all the eras of my favourite promotions favourite shows. It's mint. Sure YouTube's rendered it a bit useless but YouTube is too easy. I love my DVD's.

Yeah I really want to get that one. I recently got the '93'-94 Raw four disc DVD but as I wasn't really watching wrestling back then some of its a bit lost on me. The Smackdown 10th anniversary DVD looks pretty tasty too.

The WrestleMania XX DVD. Not only was the event superb, but the DVD had some great extras; Hall of Fame highlights, the terrific Mania of Wrestlemania documentary and a countdown of the top 10 matches in Wrestlemania history presented by Ric Flair, which the production team did a brilliant job of. They made every match look important and dramatic. Even my dad was interested in that countdown.

The Monday Night Wars and ECW DVDs are up there for me too, I've watched them countless times and always find them absorbing for completely different reasons. I also think in terms of percentage of time/quality ratio, Word Life, the first John Cena DVD, is staggeringly good. Beyond the Mat and Wrestling with Shadows are both fantastic, but I don't consider them wrestling DVDs in the traditional sense, especially seeing as I saw one on VHS and one on telly before DVDs were even commonplace. However, for having such a fucking massive library of brilliant match after brilliant match and a documentary , I'd have to go with:

wwe-shawn-michaels-story-heartbreak-and-triumph-dvd-14106973.jpeg

The Bret DVD, the Flair sets and Hulk Still Rules would also be judged under this criteria, I just prefer Shawn to these guys, so this gets the nod.

coop_cheappops.jpg

One of the first DVDs I ever bought, and still one of my favourites. Covers the last few months of Mick's in-ring career and the glorious run as Commissioner, some of my favourite stuff in the twenty years I've been a fan. Even has a DVD extra of Foley commentating on the Al Snow vs Bossman Kennel From Hell match.

Others that haven't been mentioned yet:

the-self-destruction-of-the-ultimate-warrior-dvd-cover.jpg

Fantastic, incredibly entertaining documentary.

51A5QM1KHSL.jpg

I remember buying this on VHS from HMV the day after my first night out when I was sixteen, it has a lot of nostalgic value for me. They later rereleased it on DVD. Covers the rise of The Rock, up to when he left the Corporation. The next two Rock DVDs, The People's Champ and Just Bring It, were okay... But I much prefer Rock as a baddie.

zkm9_shadows.jpg

Much like Beyond The Mat, offered a rare look behind the curtain, and captured some fascinating times.

• Paid Members

Hulk Still Rules.

It was the original 2-disc profile that WWE released, and it still holds up as far as content. Its literally a mish mash or moments and doesnt follow the usually "in order" pattern. You have the brilliant Survivor Series 88 main event (which is a mystery as to why they even put that on here, because its not really famous or mentioned on the documentary part) alongside Hogan training Gene Okerlund to be a wrestler next to Hogan playing bass on Tuesday Night Titans next to Hulk vs Andre from WrestleMania III next to Hogan promoting his vitamin drink with Lord Alfred Hayes next to the fantastic Orndorff Skydome Battle. The documentary part is class as well. It was a true original at the time, because WWF werent releasing DVD's filled with footage from the 1980s at the time like they do now. Class DVD.

HoganBobbleEX.jpg

Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior:

Excellent DVD, which keeps you entertained even on the extras, because the matches are all cracking as well. The documentary highlights how mental the Warrior was and at the same time how bitter and jealous a group of wrestlers who are forced to work as road agents to make a few quid can be. Ted DiBiase is a typical born again wanker. McMahon is funny as fuck. Bobby Heenan is spitting vile throughout. Hogan and Bischoff has a few digs, but you can tell they seemed fond of him. McMahon even comes across like he has good memories of him as well. And "all trademarks are owned by Ultimate Warrior inc." at the end shows the real reason why they were such dicks on the DVD. Wonder what the Pro Warrior DVD will be like when they release that, now he's pals with them again?

WWEultimate.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Austin: Uncensored:

This DVD was cracking at the time, and I only just watched it recently and the goosebumps are still their when Austin gets the hot tag in the No Way Out 8 man tag team match. The guitar riff as he's handing out stunners was awesome then and it still is now.

wwf-austin-3-16-uncensored-steve-vhs-cover-art.jpg

Mine is quite possibly this -

00039zm.jpg

The match selection is outstanding; The bloody Lawler/Von Erich unification match from SuperClash. A ultra heated Slaughter/Sheik match from the Garden. Steamboat and Flair from Chi-Town Rumble (probably my favourite of their matches). Piper and Valentine's chain match from the first Starrcade. The Sheik/Backlund title change, with the towel angle. Hogan vs Piper at the absolute peak of their rivalry...

The extras are tremendous; The Piper/Haiti Kid haircut angle. Classic Horsemen and Dusty interviews. A full Bobby Heenan show. Jake and Savage on musical duties at the Slammys. Sheiky swinging the Persian clubs. A wildly entertaining and cheesy posedown between Mr. Wonderful and Tony Atlas, hosted by Vince McMahon in a seedy nightclub! Jimmy Snuka going apeshit and wrecking a bunch of chairs, stemming from the coconut angle (which also features)...

The profile sections are generally excellent also; particularly the chapters on Heenan, Piper and Rhodes. Each proVides either a fine introduction or a wealth of nostalgia.

I think I am going to be boring and agree with the Monday Night Wars DVD. As has already been mentioned, it does tell a pretty pro WWF/E version of events, but it also takes you on a nice little trip down memory lane, has some decent extras and tells a pretty interesting tale, I particularly like the interviews with those that had been on both sides of the fence, though as expected they had little good to say about WCW and nothing bad to say about WWF/E.

• Paid Members

Christ, this took some deliberation.

Actually, it shouldnt have. I was thinking of loads of candidates in terms of matches and length / quality of documentary / interview, but realized I had forgotten completely about my clear winner.

Four%20Horsemen%20DVD%20Cover%201-medium.jpg

Mine is either the 10th Anniversary Smackdown one or The Best of Saturday Night's Main Event. The Smackdown one featured so many of my favourite moments and some that i'd totally forgotten about, as well as great matches and I really liked the countdown from 100 format they used, was a bit different. I love the SNME one because it features quite a few big moments from the past, especially the rise and fall of the Mega Powers which is shown nicely on here, this too has it's fair share of great matches (usually with great crowds). It was generally a really good look back at a great period for wrestling with the focus on a show that I hadn't seen much of, really well put together with balance of matches/segments that gave me a great feel of how storylines panned out back then.

Archived