30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

YOUR FAVOURITE WRESTLER EVER

I honestly can't choose between Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker for this award, I guess they will have to be co winners for me. I love nearly everything both men have done in their WWE careers, they always entertain me and are both alot of fun to watch.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favourite Wrestler Ever..

This has been the same for me since i was a little kid and i dont think anyone will ever match up.. Shawn Michaels. Be it as one of The Rockers, his heel singles run 92-95 where he to me demanded attention and made the IC title important, his 2 year face run and world title story playing out, his amazing heel turn and the formation of DX, his retirement years as a non wrestling personality or his years in ring after his return... he has always captured my imagination and been a joy to watch, he could make you hate him or cheer him at thr drop of a hat and could make anybody look good in the ring.. As great as he was before retirement i think its amazing that he was beven better coming back.. He came back with his reputation in tatters and not only rebuilt his name, but left a legacy i doubt will ever be matched.. Michaels only held one singles title his entire return (and that was only for a few weeks), yet he was never any lessimportant and i think that is a testiment to just how good he was..

Fave wrestler ever.

I think I'm gonna go with the guy who first made me stand up and go 'wow, this is cool' and has always held my attention and has made me love him and hate him in equal measure throughout my years of fandom. That man is the Undertaker.

Close runner ups: Mark Rollerball Rocco (I fell in love with him watching the Dynamite Kid special on TWC and have gone out my way to find more footage of the guy), Bret Hart (I've always liked the way he carried himself and the way he wrestled) and Kurt Angle (whom I think seems to just get better and better.)

• Paid Members

It's not even close for me either, it's Bret.

When I first started watching wrestling and I saw the Hart Foundation, I thought "that guy looks cool as anything" of the "Hitman" and his wrap-around shades. His matches quickly became the highlight of the show for me, and I conveniently realized he was my favourite wrestler just before he won the WWF title for the first time. As a pre-pubescent lad who had grown up supporting Spurs, I wasn't used to seeing my favourites win big, so seeing Hart with the WWF title around his waist would have made me spunk in my pants, had I been capable at the time. Thankfully I was able to see him defend the WWF title second time around, the week after WrestleMania X.

Through the next six years, I followed Bret's journey to "legendary" status as the company termed it, through heartbreaking family feuds and setbacks, always believing he would comeback and return to the summit, which he did, time after time. I stuck by him in 1997, convinced that actually, he had a point, and really was still a hero to us all. I was lucky enough to see him defend the title again during that wonderful run, at One Night Only. I still loved him when he defected to WcW, which actually tied in quite well because I had preferred Nitro to Raw to a good few months anyway.

It was only in 1999 when Bret was going through a rather apathetic heel run that he was overtaken in my heart by the intensity of Benoit - my interest in watching Bret seemed to fade, as his interest in his own career and performances seemed on the wane. I still marked out when he won WcWs World title, but it was more in a nostalgic way than jumping for joy like I did when he was winning the WWF title - sort of "ahh, that's nice" rather than "fucking YES!"

Then he was concussed, and then he was gone. But to me, he is the best there ever will be.

Because I'm not allowed to say Benoit, am I?

28. Your favourite TV episode.

The RAW before the InVasion PPV, with Austin drowning his sorrows in Tim White's bar? then coming back to kick some ass!! I remember there being an episode of Smackdown! called Smackdown! Extreme, I can't find it anywhere, but all I remember from that show is Bubba Dudley powerbombing Matt Hardy off of the stage and through a table. Plus I'm sure it was when Rikishi went all psycho on Val Venis.

29. Your favourite show ever.

Wrestlemania X-Seven - It's the greatest PPV ever for me, the card is stacked from top to bottom, it's just an amazingly well built PPV that leads into the anticipated match in Wrestling history, supported by the greatest promo video of all time.

30. Your favourite wrestler ever.

My top 3 is -

1) The Undertaker

2) Bret ''The Hitman'' Hart

3) Stone Cold Steve Austin

A couple of pages back I said there were one or two posts I wanted to answer/argue with/comment on whenever I got the free time. I'm not doing anything else tonight and I finally do.

First of all: I'm amazed at how many people got into wrestling just through the games. I wonder if that is a generational thing? Since they all seem to be from the early to mid 2000s and not the guys who got into wrestling in the 70s/80s/90s/late 2000s.

Secondly, something I hadn't really thought about before but Chyna must have gotten pretty sweet royalty cheques off being on the cover of both the first two SDs back-to-back. Only The Rock managed that and, well, he's The Rock. No other midcarder would have gotten that kind of treatment back then (even someone super over like The Outlaws). That's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

First Wrestling game i ever owned was WCW/NWO revenge for the N64 (not the gamecube like somebody mentioned earlier before).

And awesome game, that was followed by Wrestlemania 2000, which no matter what anybody says was better than the ultimate over hype of No Mercy. The same gameplay, except No mercy has some crazy graphics update that looked crap, and the fact No mercy has some form of memory issue on every single cartridge when released.

I always feel like I missed out a bit when that subject comes up about best rasslin games "back in the day" since I never had the N64 or knew anyone who had it/had it and liked the rasslin entertainment. :(

WrestleMania Challenge for the NES. I loved it, but why the fuck did Andre fall out of the ring so often when he couldn't get back in it?

WWF_Wrestlemania_Challenge_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

WWF_Wrestlemania_Challenge_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

This here. Got it for Christmas of 1991 with a NES, Duck Hunt/Super Mario combo, the Turtles and Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers. Played it for months on end. The Survivor Series mode is the best, especially if your mate had Andre, because to eliminate him you could just chuck him out the ring, and nobody knew how to get him back in. Andre's music was class as well. I also got a Hulk Hogan watch with a little game on it, where some bloke in a karate outfit and hair would beat up a fat bloke in a car park.

That's how I got it as well with those three games. That Survivors mode was pretty impressive for the time. Definitely was a fun two player game. I used to know someone who had that watch.

My first played was WrestleMania in the arcades (the one with the tag team series), but the first one I owned was WrestleMania on the Amstrad CPC464. I don't remember too much about it other than you could chose to be Hogan, Warrior or somebody else (Bossman) and you fought through a series of one-on-one bouts to win the title. Even at the time (I would have been 10 or 11) I remember thinking it wasn't very good.

Four weeks later and noone answered you but it was The British Bulldog. The one you fought through were Mr. Perfect, The Warlord, Ted DiBiase, The Mountie and Sgt. Slaughter.

I think the biggest problem with it (or at least the version on the Commodore) was it was based almost entirely around locking up in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and then shaking the joystick from side to side before you could execute a move which wouldn't have been as bad but no matter what you tried to do you seemed to end up in that position every five seconds. It was really hard to do unless you had superpowered wrist movement :cry: or something

WCW vs. NWO (Sony Playstation) - absolutely loved this at the time, since it was the first wrestling game I'd ever had that was in 3D with just about every member of the WCW roster in it. Something like 60 characters which, when all games I'd previously owned had about 12 in at most, was a big deal. The weapons at rignside were good, I loved the little entrance videos with the official themes and I liked the fact you fought in the proper PPV arenas, which actually LOOKED like the prope PPV arenas. I even bought the Official Strategy Guide for it. After a while, I realised you could beat just about anyone by picking up the pipe from the floor and whacking them with it over and over again.

Which game was this? I don't think there was a WCW vs NWO game on the PlayStation. There was a WCW vs The World, but that only seemed to have about five WCW wrestlers in it, it definitely had nowhere near a full roster. Are you thinking of the much-maligned WCW Nitro?

The coolest thing about WCW vs. The World was that it came out around the time of the (UK) tape trading boom or shortly afterwards. It was also around the time the actual WCW was dealing a lot with NJPW, AAA and later Promo Azteca. Plus you had things like New Japan on Eurosport and UWFi on Sky Sports. Pure coincidence but it really was the ideal time for having such an internationally flavoured game.

I went a needlessly long time without a wrestling game, always relying on friends houses to experience the latest. Though, I grew up in Filey where we had Wrestlefest AND Superstars in arcades ten minutes away from my house, so those were regular when I was young.

You know I think I only played that once. Heard a lot about it though because when I was younger arts and crafts at the weekend and one of the local artists/art student type guys (for some reason I actually knew far more adults who were wrestling fans from about 1983 up until around 1990) who ran one of the courses was always going on about that game whenever he'd talk about wrestling. That may have had the best roster of any game in that era really Hogan, Savage, Andre, DiBiase, Warrior, Honky, Bossman were all legit stars/main eventers in terms of headlining house shows, being over, etc. at that point that their characters in the game were based on (1988). Even Duggan was at his most over back then (Andre feud).

Archived