30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

Superstars for the Gameboy, christmas 1990 or 1991.

1706735-374215_wwf_superstars_2_game_boy_screenshot_headbutt_screen_large.png

I could listen to the theme music forever! I was a little bit disappointed when completed it however, that it wasn't more spectacular. Also some guy from school started making up that he'd found loads of move in it like atomic drops & powerbombs

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be an awesome read.

wwfa9jj.jpg

This was my first wrestling game and still one of my favourites. It's just so weird. A lot of what I mention will be true of Warzone too given how this was more or less a direct sequel. First off you have the gameplay which actually revolves - much like a real match - around keeping the crowd happy. Keep belting out the same moves and the crowd will boo you in a tremendous feat of sound design that sounds a bit like the same collective groan multiplied as many times as necessary with a few shouts of 'screw you!' and the like thrown in for good measure.

Then you have the strange animations which content wise were pretty comprehensive. You get your full entrances along with a beat em' up style tauntathon before the match proper. The thing is all the 'rasslers showed up drunk. Val Venis will belt out his best catchphrases just sort of swaying back and forth on the spot. It all added to the games charm.

Another thing that adds to that charm is that it's one of the few if not the only fleshed out early Attitude Era game. Forget SmackDown, that had the likes of Jeff and Matt [they just get motion capture credits on this one - which goes to explain some of the whacked out animations] and was circa late 99 in it's timeline. WWF Attitude was the real deal of that glorious time where Too Much, Droz and Dr. Death dominated the Sunday Night Heat landscape.

The create a wrestler was a thing of beauty too. The games generic selectable music for the wrestlers was absoloutely cracking stuff and it's still one of the fastest, most fluid, costumey CAW packages in history as opposed to the more recent trend of just providing you with shapes and patterns.

Attitude, I salute you.

For me it has to be the very first Smackdown game. Once i owned it i didn't come off it. All the kids at school played it. I remember hours wasted around friends houses playing the game. The great thing was that the career mode never ended and there would be stupid rumours going around school such as "If you play 100 years on career mode you unlock the British Bulldog!" So we all played 100 years on career mode!

• Paid Members

My first played was WrestleMania in the arcades (the one with the tag team series), but the first one I owned was WrestleMania on the Amstrad CPC464. I don't remember too much about it other than you could chose to be Hogan, Warrior or somebody else (Bossman) and you fought through a series of one-on-one bouts to win the title. Even at the time (I would have been 10 or 11) I remember thinking it wasn't very good.

Since then, I've owned (probably forgetting some):

Royal Rumble (Sega Megadrive) - first wrestling game I really loved and played excessively for hours on end. Loved the midi renditions of the walk-out themes too. Found endless enjoyment in the fact that you could knock-out the referee too and pick up a steel chair to smash people with.

Raw (Sega Megadrive) - I seem to remember this was the first video game I ever paid

WWF Royal Rumble for the Sega Megadrive.

WWF-Royal-Rumble-Megadrive-EUR.jpg

I got it from Toys R us with my birthday money. I dread to think how many hours of our lives me and my brothers spent playing it, though we never could work out how to do Jim Duggan

• Paid Members
Mine will have been WWF Smackdown 2 for the Playstation 1, and that's what got me into wrestling in the first place. Well, that and a mixture of all the other lads at school bringing in their figures to play with during 'golden time' on a Friday afternoon.

I remember being so excited and playing it each and every evening straight from school for a scary length of time. I've never played on a video game any near as many times as I played on SD2 since.

What a great roster that game had and I loved everything about it. A lad that used to live down the road from me used to stay over on a Friday night and we'd have an absolute Smackdown 2 fest before Raw is War came on.

Snap! Well, as long as that was the game that came out just before Baclash 2000 (the first event I saw on TV). Just replace 'School' for 'Uni' :cry: and no palying with figures (that came 2 years later).

WCW vs. NWO (Sony Playstation) - absolutely loved this at the time, since it was the first wrestling game I'd ever had that was in 3D with just about every member of the WCW roster in it. Something like 60 characters which, when all games I'd previously owned had about 12 in at most, was a big deal. The weapons at rignside were good, I loved the little entrance videos with the official themes and I liked the fact you fought in the proper PPV arenas, which actually LOOKED like the prope PPV arenas. I even bought the Official Strategy Guide for it. After a while, I realised you could beat just about anyone by picking up the pipe from the floor and whacking them with it over and over again.

Which game was this? I don't think there was a WCW vs NWO game on the PlayStation. There was a WCW vs The World, but that only seemed to have about five WCW wrestlers in it, it definitely had nowhere near a full roster. Are you thinking of the much-maligned WCW Nitro?

Superwm.jpg

I remember picking this up from a car boot sale when I was really young. Next game after that was either WWF Attitude or Smackdown 2 on PS1.

This! I actually didn't like it since I got Royal Rumble not long after and that was better, but yeah, Super Wrestlemania.

Those arcade ones were immense!

Superwm.jpg

I remember picking this up from a car boot sale when I was really young. Next game after that was either WWF Attitude or Smackdown 2 on PS1.

This! I actually didn't like it since I got Royal Rumble not long after and that was better, but yeah, Super Wrestlemania.

Those arcade ones were immense!

I'm kinda the opposite, i loved Megadrive Wrestlemania because i played it after the SNES one, but before Royal rumble, so it was the first time finishers were in. Granted the roster was weaker, i think the LOD, Jake and Natural Disasters were out and Warrior, IRS and Papa Shango were in, but it didn't really matter because every character was identical in the SNES one, even the Natural Disasters weren't any bigger than anyone else.

WCW/NWO World tour is probably my fave wrestling game ever when I weight it all up. It was unbelievable at the time compared to what had gone before it (as someone who hadn't played WCW vs the World).

What i find quite unbelievable about those THQ/AKi games is that the detail and animation involved in diving out the ring (which was always one of the most fun parts of it) is still more impressive than pretty much anything i've ever saw since, as the vast majority pretty much neglect that side of things.

WCW Mayhem. Average gameplay, but the best part about it was the amazing roster and the variety of arenas. I'm actually quite tempted to find a copy on eBay just to see how it holds up today - I suspect I'll be disappointed but any game that has a roster ranging from Sonny Onoo to Disco Inferno to Sgt. Parker sounds fun to me.

• Paid Members

I know this is a bit obscure, but my first wrestling game was called "Tag-Team Wrestling" by Zeppelin Games for the Speccy. It was actually pretty decent and had decent graphics, for the Spectrum..

americanwrestling_0.gif

I went a needlessly long time without a wrestling game, always relying on friends houses to experience the latest. Though, I grew up in Filey where we had Wrestlefest AND Superstars in arcades ten minutes away from my house, so those were regular when I was young. However, my first one all to myself was was this little beaut for the Game Boy...

Kingofthering.jpg

I don't remember much that remarkable about it to be honest, other than an actual King of the Ring mode and the KOTR logo coming up all nice and green at the start. I played it to death though, I know that much.

• Paid Members
WWF Royal Rumble for the SNES.

That was my first game too. And watching that finishers video, I've just remembered that me and my brother learnt how to put the Figure Four Leglock on each other by watching that 2D Ric Flair sprite on the game!

Which game was it where your whole body could end up covered in blood? Attitude?

Archived