30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

• Paid Members
Showing my age, but my first Wrestling game was probably Pro Wrestling on the Sega Master System.

Sms_pro_wrestling_box-150x150.jpg

1292689-pro_wrestling_11_screen_large.jpg

And that was pretty cutting edge at the time...

EDIT: Just realised... why does the wrestler on the box not have a head?

That made me smile so much.

I never owned the game, but a lad down the street who was a few years older than me had it and we used to play it all the time about 20 odd years ago!

The box art and screen cap provided a wash of nostalgic info that I just drowned in. So thanks very much for that!

:thumbsup: I'm gonna love this thread.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh shit, I've only just realised.

Smackdown 2 wasn't the first wrestling game I had! I completely forgot that what actually got the ball rolling for me was a WCW game I had on demo before that. I'll still take SD2 for an answer though, because I only had this WCW demo a week or so before I got my hands on SD2! Christ, for years I've always had it in my head that Smackdown 2 was the first one I played on.

Any idea which WCW game this was? It would have been around the late 2000/ early '01 period I think for the PS1?

It would've been Backstage Assault, one of the most hated wrestling games ever.

• Paid Members

First Wrestling game i ever owned was WCW/NWO revenge for the N64 (not the gamecube like somebody mentioned earlier before).

And awesome game, that was followed by Wrestlemania 2000, which no matter what anybody says was better than the ultimate over hype of No Mercy. The same gameplay, except No mercy has some crazy graphics update that looked crap, and the fact No mercy has some form of memory issue on every single cartridge when released.

Mania 2000 was pure gold as you could create your own titles, edit the wrestlers appearances and the create a wrestler was basic, but matched the appearence of the ingame wrestlers, making it awesome to create people. I got very good at making CAW on Mania 2000, and even had a mini WCW/ECW invasion thing going on. Awesome game.

• Paid Members
WrestleMania Challenge for the NES. I loved it, but why the fuck did Andre fall out of the ring so often when he couldn't get back in it?

WWF_Wrestlemania_Challenge_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

WWF_Wrestlemania_Challenge_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

This here. Got it for Christmas of 1991 with a NES, Duck Hunt/Super Mario combo, the Turtles and Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers. Played it for months on end. The Survivor Series mode is the best, especially if your mate had Andre, because to eliminate him you could just chuck him out the ring, and nobody knew how to get him back in. Andre's music was class as well. I also got a Hulk Hogan watch with a little game on it, where some bloke in a karate outfit and hair would beat up a fat bloke in a car park.

Smackdown 2 wasn't the first wrestling game I had! I completely forgot that what actually got the ball rolling for me was a WCW game I had on demo before that. I'll still take SD2 for an answer though, because I only had this WCW demo a week or so before I got my hands on SD2! Christ, for years I've always had it in my head that Smackdown 2 was the first one I played on.

Any idea which WCW game this was? It would have been around the late 2000/ early '01 period I think for the PS1?

Cheers King Pitcos, but I've just Googled it and Wiki says that there was no ring in that game which means it couldn't have been seeing as though you wrestled in the ring on the game.

* I've just had a quick search around on Google and it seems it was actually WCW Mayhem. I must have just found the game on one of the demo's I had. (A friend of my mum's gave me a stack of them.)

Cheers anyway :thumbsup:

• Awards Moderator

Mine was the first SmackDown. I was kind-of-interested-in-but-not-really-into wrestling at the time, but one month with my Playstation magazine was a demo for the game; you could be Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker or Triple H. I had a go, thought it was brilliant, bought the full game, and played it a lot.

Like one of the posters on the first page, it was the game that got me hooked back into the TV shows, rather than the other way round. Playing SmackDown familiarised me with a lot of the people in the WWF at the time, I started watching properly again after a few years of catching it occasionally but not being that bothered, and I was hooked like I hadn't been since the early 90s. Thanks SmackDown game! :thumbsup:

(Oh, and the Create A PPV on the first SmackDown game is still the best Create A PPV feature of any wrestling game. Nice and easy to use, lots of fun, and a good challenge to try and top your own best ratings/buyrates.)

Wrestle War on the Megadrive.

Liked it at the time, but it wasn't that good. The camera flipping when you threw your opponent into the ropes was especially crap.

Not long afterwards was the first one i was excited about - Super Wrestlemania on the SNES, which turned out a big disappointment when i realised it didn't have finishers and everyone was just the same.

Cheers King Pitcos, but I've just Googled it and Wiki says that there was no ring in that game which means it couldn't have been seeing as though you wrestled in the ring on the game.

* I've just had a quick search around on Google and it seems it was actually WCW Mayhem. I must have just found the game on one of the demo's I had. (A friend of my mum's gave me a stack of them.)

Cheers anyway :thumbsup:

Never played it, but from the few clips i did see, i always thought that WCW mayhems graphics looked great.

Remember those Nitro and Thunder monstrosities on the Playstation? looked like the best thing ever from magazine screenshots. Then you saw it playing.......

Archived