30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

D'Lo Brown. He was more over in 1999 than 90% of the business in any promotion. He had the look, the theme music, he could talk, his moves were over and he strutted to the ring like he owned the place. And he never had many bad matches when he was in his prime run. He was as consistant as you can get. Shame he wasnt used to the standard which they were using him at SummerSlam 99, because the roof was lifted when he arrived for his match with Jeff Jarrett. He doesnt get spoke of today though, so I put him in the underrated camp. People forget how popular he was.

D-Lo-Brown-WWE-Superstar-12.jpg

First ever Euro-Continental Champion and personal hero of mine. What a guy. Definately underrated these days, barely mentioned anywhere unless he appears breaking up a fight in TNA. (which I always get excited about). Could really have gone much longer in the IC Title scene.

Also the Chest Protector storyline stuff was fantastic :thumbsup:

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a toss up between Zach Ryder who seems to be gaining popularity and Trent Baretta who had some great matches on superstars then he looked like he was getting a push when he beat Mcintyre but he has disappered since then

• Paid Members

Some good shouts here. I love me a bit of Mike Knox, Hardcore Holly and i was also one who absolutely adored D-Lo. I was so excited and happy when he was getting his big push in the Summer of '99 and so heartbroken with how it all ended up.

Who immediately sprung to mind for me though and often does in those topics is another already mentioned in Al Snow. Good in the ring but his greatest asset was he had a tremendously personality. Fans loved him, you could relate to him and he was just generally entertaining as hell. He made Steve Blackman a riot, what an accomplishment. I really feel more could have been done with him, it was a shame he was treated as such a jobber when he was mingling with The Rock 'n' Sock Connection. There were times when i felt they could have done a Mick Foley with him, he wasn't your conventional sort of WWF wrestler but he was unique, hugely likeable and just had bags of personality.

He totally established the Hardcore title too and he is massively responsible for the success of and why Tough Enough was such an entertaining show. He was an asset in my opinion. He could totally carry the workload in a match as well, he had a cracker against himself on Raw once.

I'd also say John Morrison is very under-rated and gets much unjust criticism.

I just noticed that it's first not favorite...

Mine was WWF Challenge or Wrestlefest (I think it was called) from the arcades back in the 80/90's. Anyway here's the screenshot if anyone has a better memory than I.

I was unbeatable with The Ultimate Warrior & Jake 'The Snake' Roberts combo.

wrestlefest.jpg

I LOVE this game and my team was Mr Perfect and Million Dollar Man!!!

Still look in EVERY arcade when I'm on holiday to see if thee's still one about tucked in a corner.

Wasn't there an older machine too based around tag teams where the last team was Ted and Andre?

Oh shit, er posted out of sync.

Wrestler who's underrated, erm, Big Show!!

Seriously, his place in WWE where he gets built up every 6 months or so to put someone receiving a push over is a little tiresome and his TV work is bound by WWE conventions, but whenever I've seen him live he's been one of the best guys on the show. All that and his travel schedule squeezing into tiny airplane seats must be worst experience of any US wrestler.

Wasn't there an older machine too based around tag teams where the last team was Ted and Andre?

Yep, WWF Superstars. I remember as a kid, I'd always make a beeline for an arcade to look for WrestleFest. Sometimes I'd find Superstars instead, and I didn't like that as much. Who else was on it? I remember Honky Tonk Man being on there, as well as Hogan, Macho and Warrior.

Double J Jeff Jarrett. Sure, he's done well with every company he's been in, but alot of fans still see him as somebody who is lucky to even be in his position. Complete bullshit. He's the best heel in the business today, he played an outstanding face during his feud with Kurt a few years back, and him and Angle had one of the most underappreciated matches of recent history at Genesis 09. I'd love to see him have another run with the belt.

I'm having this one too. The Double J Double M-A gimmick was one of my favourite storylines and one of the best heel performances in all of wrestling in the last 2-3 years. I was also a big fan of the 'Chosen One' character in WCW, though I won't say too much about that now as I've a feeling I'll want to talk about it later in the thread. I'd also like to see him at least pushed back into the world title picture, with Jeff Hardy's problems I think it would be a great time to make Jarrett the lead heel in Immortal/TNA. No, it's not exactly planning for the future, but you can't argue with crowd reactions and nobody is more over than him in TNA at the moment.

I also liked the Perry Saturn shout. I always felt bad for him that he came into the WWF as a bit of an afterthought in the Radicals, and at a time when it had about the best talent pool it was ever going to have. At the same time, I felt they could have done more with him as someone who looked like a legitimately hard bastard and could put on consistently entertaining matches. I think it's unfortunate for him that Benoit and Malenko were generally tied up in the IC or cruiserweight title pictures at the time, because I think a consistent pairing of Saturn with either of them could have made a fantastic addition to the red hot tag team scene in 2000/2001.

I suppose it depends on how you describe underrating someone. But someone who could work, had good matches and was part of several good angles in his life would be:

R.I.P+Davey+Boy+Smith.jpg

I often think it's a shame that Bulldog gets lumped in with people like Dynamite Kid or Bret Hart when reflected upon these days. Davey Boy more than carried his share of the Bulldogs tag team, probably more when Dynamite did his back in, had exciting matches with Warlord, obviously had a cracking main event in Summerslam, worked very well with Vader, looked good against Bret, Sid, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and others. Bulldog was brilliant but I don't think people give him enough credit today for his solo performances, more remembered as an also ran.

• Paid Members
Who else was on it? I remember Honky Tonk Man being on there, as well as Hogan, Macho and Warrior.

Duggan & Bossman, that's your lot.

• Paid Members

Eight years old this one, but cast your mind back to the 2003 Super 8 tournament. It's your usual indy attempt to simulate the Super J Cup, with everyone trying to have the match with the best star rating, and even gathering together at the beginning for a team photo in the yellow tournament shirt, looking like a school trip.

And then out comes Chance Beckett, an unknown guy from a Canadian indy promotion. He walks to the ring, says nothing, and by the time he steps through the ropes, you know he's a heel just from the way he carries himself. He works three matches all the way to the final, utterly steals the show by working matches where the crowd is led to care about who wins rather than who does the best spots, then goes back to Canada and is, to all purposes, never heard from again.

Archived