30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

• Paid Members

Three matches for me, and the last one my actual definite choice.

Bret Hart vs The Patriot (Ground Zero)

At a time when the WWF was moving right towards brawling, this was one of the best technical matches they had on the show until Benoit/Angle. I've not seen it for years, but I remember it being really good, albeit overshadowed by Taker/Michaels.

Rowdy Roddy Piper vs Rick Rude Cage Match

Really cracking cage match. Rude has the funniest 'arse out' moment I've seen in a match as well. They beat the shit out of each other.

Here's the match.

And finally....

The Rock vs Mankind vs Ken Shamrock cage match

A triple threat cage match was such a good idea. And it rocked as a match, but is hardly ever discussed. Which is a shame.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never saw the 3 way, and wasn't all that high on Hitman/Patriot, but that steel cage match is definitely a good shout.

You could argue that whole Supertape video is full of underrated stuff actually. The above match, Jake/Dibiase, Rockers/Powers of Pain, Bret/Martel....... even Savage/Hacksaw was far better than a match with Jim Duggan had any right to be. Rockers/New Dream team and Hogan/Perfect held their own too. That tape might be one of my favourite ever VHS releases now that i think about it......

I figured I'd relate this to the post I made yesterday regarding Jeff Jarrett, so I'm gonna choose Genesis 2009: Jeff Jarrett vs Kurt Angle. Hardly ever mentioned when it comes to the discussion of great Angle matches, but I think its an outstanding match which told a great story. Really intense and hate-filled, it's a great brawl where even the botches added to the match. You had Jarrett's botched dive to the outside, getting busted open with the ringbell, then being Angle Slammed off the ramp through a table, before crawling back to the ring on all fours. Then Angle punishes him some more, locking in the Ankle lock, and the determination on both their faces sold the match for me. Actually, there are great facials all throughout this match, and the finish is perfect - after all the brawling and near-falls, Angle takes advantage of a physically spent and broken Jarrett with a cheeky roll-up, which made him seem like a huge cunt, a lucky bastard and a really clever, oppurtunistic wrestler all at the same time.

Even Don West was at his overbearing best: 'Their bodies are doing things they are not supposed to do!'

Part 1

Part 2

I'm going to go with the Elimination Chamber match as my choice here.

It was hard for me to choose the Elimination Chamber over Hell in the Cell, as I feel that historically the HITC has always been WWE's ultimate match-type and always delivered that big fight atmosphere; had today's question been "Greatest gimmick match ever" then I'd no doubt have chosen the Cell, but alas it is favourite and therefore I shall go with the EC.

For me it's the best looking gimmick match in wrestling. Aesthetically, the cage setup looks superior to HITC, War Games, Ultimate/Elevation X, a steel cage or any other structure used in wrestling that I can think of. The rules and stipulations of the match are just spot on for me, and each time you see an EC match unfold it has that 'ultimate endurance'-type feel to it.

I just love everything about the match, and I can't think of a single Chamber battle I've not enjoyed.

I will say that I've always been a big fan of ladder-based matches, especially the E&C/Hardyz/Dudleys series around 2000/1 and the MITB matches, but it's always been cage-type matches which have piqued my interest more than anything.

eliminationchamber.jpg

• Paid Members

The cage match. Back when I started to watch wrestling, me and a few of my mates swapped 3 tapes around as none of us had sky. Hulk Hogan:real American, the ultimate warrior, summerslam 88 and later on the best of hulkamania.

We all loved the cage matches, hogan vs Andre, warrior vs Andre and hogan vs boss man, when we got access to other promotions we'd always talk about the cage matches and compare the cages we'd see in PWI withthe cages the wwf used, they've been my favourite gimmick match all along.

The Rumble for several reasons. Firstly, it only happens once a year, never becoming diluted, retaining that "aura". Second, with it taking up at least a third of a PPV, the WWE always put the effort in, indeed I feel this match possibly defines the year, moreso than Mania. It plants seeds, produces multiple feuds and can be used to elevate several stars in just one match. No other match type does all those things.

In terms of gimmick matches that aren't PPV exclusive, nothing is better than a decent cage or HiaC match. Done right, can look amazing, only issue is, some have been total predictable borefests.

Stick me down for another rumble fan. Only once a year and while the end may not normally be in doubt you dont know who will appear in it.

I liked the concept of the "Spin the wheel, make the deal" match but needs to be all good gimmicks i.e no coal miners glove.

Archived