30 Days of WRESTLING

Super Cena

• Paid Members
I remember Chance Beckett or at least I remember the name getting some praise. Didn't know he just disappeared though that's pretty cool

To be fair, by "disappeared" I mean "returned to Canadian indys that don't get much coverage or have widely traded tapes."

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
So underrated it doesn't even make a Youtube appearance...In 2004 JBL had a fantastic WWE title match with Hardcore Holly on Smackdown, don't know if anyone remembers it but it really was very good.

Was that the Hardcore rules match they had on one of the UK SmackDowns? I remember really liking that at the time, one of the best matches of his title reign, and one of the very few times he retained cleanly, if I remember correctly.

My pick for this category is the Triple H vs. Chris Jericho Hell in a Cell match from Judgment Day 2002. It's a fantastic match, loads of drama and spectacle without it being a stunt show. Other than Taker-Michaels, it's probably my favourite Cell match, and I ended up buying the PPV on DVD to see it again (which I hardly ever do).

HHH hitting Jericho with a barbed wire bat on top of the Cell and it getting stuck in Jericho's hair (though it looked like it was stuck in his head) is one of the most memorable spots I've ever seen.

The Big Bossman vs. The Barbarian, WWE Royal Rumble 1991

I'm surprised this doesn't get more praise, because this isn't a match which on paper gets the excitement rushing, but the match was a terrific and exciting power match and they'd have stolen the show had it not been for the ridiculously good tag opener.

On a similar note, an honorable mention...

Kane vs. Test, WWE No Mercy - Part One

Part Two

Triple H has gone from being amazing (00), to rotten(02/03), to great again (04/05) to just a bit dull these days, so there's not much worth shouting about in his collection of late. However, if not for the drama of Michaels/Taker, I thought his match with Sheamus at Wrestlemania last year was brilliant. Far and away the best match Sheamus has ever had, and a fine job making him look good in defeat from HHH. Aside from that, he performed a minor miracle that totally fell under the radar with The Great Khali at Summerslam 08. I love Khali but I know he's turd, and Triple H really bumped around and sold for the big feller.

Both terrific and both ignored.

Hotshot booking aside, the 1999 WCW World Championship match between champion Diamond Dallas Page and challenger Sting is a sensational, heated bout. It's on the upcoming Best of Nitro set so will perhaps get a lot more love when the set comes out.

John Cena's first(?) WWE championship run saw him battle JBL for what seemed like forever. Cena was REALLY not good in the ring at this point, and JBL wasn't the sort of wrestler who could magic a good match out of anyone, so the whole feud pretty much sucked.

EXCEPT for their brutal I Quit match at Judgement Day 2005, which for no apparent reason was really, really good. To this day Mrs Loki cites it as the "one good JBL match" she's ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta20NWy8jdc

Bonus points for Cena's entrance with live MCing and scratching. His rapper gimmick was so much cooler.

• Paid Members

Kevin Nash vs Samoa Joe- TNA November or December ppv 2008. Nash's last great in-ring performance. He bumps hard, sells well, and keeps at a good pace throughout. He managed to make Joe look like an unstoppable monster, before stopping him, obviously. Joe looked like a star in defeat though, and got to kick out a Jacknife (maybe two?), and only lost due to Nash's wily cheating skills, Joe shouldn't have lost any momentum after the loss....

A month later Joe was wearing Jimmy Snuka jammies, carrying a Knife, and had a cock drawing coming out of his eye.

Edit. Found it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7e527_tn...oa-joe-vs_sport

On the subject of Triple H, and in addition to the above post regarding good matches usually being on Youtube, I remember at the time enjoying his match vs Benoit at No Mercy 2000 but it's hard to come by on youtube, and i can't recall ever reading much about it on forums.

If it turns out my memory's playing tricks on me and that match actually wasn't up to much, or i've missed all the praise it gets, then i'll mention some of the most recent stuff i've watched that i think falls into the 'underrated' category. First off, a fun face v face tag from GAB 92 featuring Pillman/Lyger vs Steamboat/Koloff.

There's also about half a dozen Hollywood Blondes matches from 93 (yeah i've been watching a Pillman comp.). In addition, any one of Ricky Steamboats matches with Vader around 93, although they're maybe not so much underrated as they are unknown, due to them all being hidden away on weekly TV shows. I only stumbled across them a few months ago. They include a fun lumberjack match and one from that Computer Challenge tournament they did.

I thought Vaders singles matches with the British Bulldog were also really enjoyable, although i am a bit of a sucker for small face v fat heel matches, especially if the small guy's also powerful. They were at Slamboree '93 and the following COTC.

And from the WWF, i think the Headshrinkers/Quebecers title change on RAW just after WMX is a fair shout. The Quebecers were always great, but the Headshrinkers were pretty good too - definitely one of the more underrated tag teams back in the day. They had only recently turned face, but they were certainly over with the crowd (probably helped by Albano), whilst for a comedy act, few teams were better at generating heat like the Quebecers and Johnny Polo. Add it all up and you had a pretty great RAW segment. The breaks during RAW were a bit annoying though.

Finally, a match that i think i'm the only person in the world to have enjoyed - Rockers/Bushwhackers/Nasties/Beverlies at SSeries91. I haven't came across anyone with anything positive to say about it, every review is along the lines of "a 20 minute cure for insomnia", yet i loved it. The Bushwhackers done their thing for 5 minutes then got out, the Rockers were their usual selves, it was the first real showcase for the Beverlies and the Nasties weren't offensive. I just never got the hate for it, albeit there's wasn't much involving the Rockers i didn't like.

A couple of years ago, Jannetty/Doink 2/3 falls would probably have been the first to spring to mind, but it's nice that due to the likes of youtube and dailymotion, matches like that are belatedly starting to get the credit they're due.

There's also about half a dozen Hollywood Blondes matches from 93 (yeah i've been watching a Pillman comp.). In addition, any one of Ricky Steamboats matches with Vader around 93, although they're maybe not so much underrated as they are unknown, due to them all being hidden away on weekly TV shows. I only stumbled across them a few months ago. They include a fun lumberjack match and one from that Computer Challenge tournament they did.

The Blondes stuff with Steamboat and Douglas, before Douglas turned into a Luchador Tom Zenk, was just fabulous. Unfortunately, the one Blondes match that keeps cropping up on DVDs is that aforementioned Luchador cage match, which isn't great. But yeah, the Blondes were brilliant. Their stuff vs Bagwell and Scorpio I recall being really good also.

As for Steamboat and Vader, it's much the same for me, in that the one they lumped on a compilation disc (the 'Human Cage' lumberjack match) is totally hampered by the stips, whereas their prior TV stuff was excellent. Their match that ends in a countout is tremendous; monster heel vs athletic sympathetic face at its best.

Said it once, I'll say it a thousand times:

Samoa Joe vs. Chris Sabin, No Surrender 2005

One of the greatest cat and mouse style matches in recent memory, Joe was on top form and hugely popular, while Sabin put on a truly exceptional performance. Both men had an astounding match.

Watch

Archived