Charlie Sheen is out of his mind

Mr. Seven

• Moderators

BBT is turd.

I really can't think of a proper good mainstream family sitcom that is decent. But I don't really care, because there's still plenty of good comedy being made that I enjoy so I don't really give a shit who it's aimed at as long as they can get enough viewers to keep making them.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are a tough crowd. Big Bang Theory is very funny.

Horses for courses and all that, but I think anyone who has ever enjoyed it should be shot.

Community is pretty good, but can suffer from too much MONKEY CHEESE humour.

I'm quite partial to Parks and Recreation.

I loved the first couple of years of Parks, but I've not been too impressed by this season so far. I do love Community and The Office, but I don't associate them as "mainstream" comedy for whatever reason (elitism, probably). How I Met Your Mother feels to me like the true descendant of Friends. I enjoy that, too.

• Paid Members

Gonna be controversial and say that I think, for the most part, Friends is absolute fucking keech and incredibly annoying. I don't hate Seinfeld, but I don't get the hype - it's amusing, but I really don't understand why people give it such praise, it's pretty basic. Frasier is excellent, though. 8 Simple Rules is OK, but only because John Ritter was great and the daughters were pure fitness. Same with Married With Children, except Al Bundy wasn't all that great and Katey Sagall is utter filth, forget Applegate.

But look at the catalogue of gash they've got:

King Of Queens

Everyone Loves Raymond

Dharma & Greg

Will & Grace

Big Bang Theory

Hope & Faith

Two And A Half Men

And looking back at stuff like Saved By The Bell makes me hate my childhood self for ever finding it funny.

But how is it they've got such an awful record for modern sitcoms when they had so many classics before, and even still such a great selection of animated humour? The Simpsons has gone shit, but at its height it was pretty great, and it wasn't even the edgiest stuff going. South Park goes a little too overboard at times, yet it's still good stuff, and Family Guy and American Dad were top-notch at their peaks (though hideously repetitive at their worst).

• Paid Members

The Big Bang Theory is terrible. I must admit to not having seen How I Met Your Mother though. I only just found out that they were STILL making Scrubs until a year ago? Christ almighty.

That's not to say that the British sitcom scene isn't awful too. Aside from Peep Show, what do we have? Rev showed a bit of promise but probably won't get a second series. What else is there?

I'm amazed the BBC hasn't offered a big pile of cash to Chris Lilley to come over and do something, Summer Heights High was just brilliant. Can't wait for Angry Boys.

You guys are a tough crowd. Big Bang Theory is very funny.

Horses for courses and all that, but I think anyone who has ever enjoyed it should be shot.

See, you say things like that...

How I Met Your Mother feels to me like the true descendant of Friends. I enjoy that, too.

...and contradict your point by saying that.

• Paid Members
The problem I have with How I Met Your Mother is that I find every character in it incredibly annoying.

I can see where you're coming from with that. i like the show's format and I do find it funny but every character has their own annoying quality to them

On another note, Big Bang Theory is excellent, and cracks me up every episode. Sheldon is my idol.

• Paid Members
The Big Bang Theory is terrible. I must admit to not having seen How I Met Your Mother though. I only just found out that they were STILL making Scrubs until a year ago? Christ almighty.

That's not to say that the British sitcom scene isn't awful too. Aside from Peep Show, what do we have? Rev showed a bit of promise but probably won't get a second series. What else is there?

I'm amazed the BBC hasn't offered a big pile of cash to Chris Lilley to come over and do something, Summer Heights High was just brilliant. Can't wait for Angry Boys.

Summer Heights High was excellent, it has to be said.

Would "My Name Is Earl" count in this discussion? Because that's great.

Overall, though, I think the vast majority of high quality American programming is in drama. There's just so much great stuff out there, and they're still churning out more. I'm enjoying the fuck out of Breaking Bad right now.

• Moderators
I don't hate Seinfeld, but I don't get the hype - it's amusing, but I really don't understand why people give it such praise, it's pretty basic.

How recently did you watch Seinfeld? It could be difficult to appreciate the context in which that show started if you've only watched it very recently; saying it's 'pretty basic' indicates to me that that is probably the case. This show completely changed the game as far as sitcoms go. Absolutely any tv comedy show you can name that came after this has been influenced massively by it.

They changed the format entirely. They used over double the number of scenes per episode of any standard sitcom to really facilitate some much more in-depth, complex and self-referential plots, which is most easily recognised in the way that they would have several strands going on at a time and it all "comes together" right at the end for the final punchline.

Also the content was hugely refreshing in its cynicism as compared to your standard family sitcom fare at the time.

8 Simple Rules is OK, but only because John Ritter was great and the daughters were pure fitness.

What, the redhead as well? Ewww. And if fitness was an acceptable reason for watching a show I would own boxsets of The Ghost Whisperer.

But look at the catalogue of gash they've got:

King Of Queens

Everyone Loves Raymond

Dharma & Greg

Will & Grace

Big Bang Theory

Hope & Faith

Two And A Half Men

That's an odd selection you've decided to pick out. What's the criteria for this? It's just like a random selection of some sitcoms that have come out of the States in the last 10 or so years only, like, one or two of which are still running..? I don't really get the relevance.

And looking back at stuff like Saved By The Bell makes me hate my childhood self for ever finding it funny.

Those type of shows aren't sitcoms; you can't put those in the same category. Still though, California Dreams eh? Quality.

But how is it they've got such an awful record for modern sitcoms when they had so many classics before, and even still such a great selection of animated humour? The Simpsons has gone shit, but at its height it was pretty great, and it wasn't even the edgiest stuff going. South Park goes a little too overboard at times, yet it's still good stuff, and Family Guy and American Dad were top-notch at their peaks (though hideously repetitive at their worst).

Check out Archer; it's the best animated comedy going at the minute.

On an unrelated note to the above, yeah, Community and How I met Your Mother are pretty good examples of mainstream but decent shows. Good shout.

Archived