Charlie Sheen is out of his mind

Mr. Seven

• Paid Members
It's not bollocks. And I have a brain in my head, and don't like stuff you do

Right, so rather than "American comedy has a record of shit modern sitcoms" you just meant that there's a lot of American comedy nowadays that you don't like. Compared to, say, American comedy of the seventies, or current British comedy.

But yes, Carbomb, if we're taking your small sample list as evidence of something, then I can put forth some rather damning evidence:

Dinnerladies

My Family

Grownups

Coming of Age

Seinfeld

30 Rock

Community

Bored To Death

Conclusion: American comedy is brilliant, British comedy is total arsepaste.

Do you see how making silly lists like that and then presenting them as proof of some pseudo-factual "record" is a bit reductive?

So what you're basically whining about is that I didn't put a big "IMO" after my post, yes? And that I didn't take more time to produce an exhaustive and fully researched list of sitcoms I consider awful to strengthen my point?

I'm pretty certain I put several caveats in place in my original posts. Not to mention that the fact this is a discussion forum is one massive "IMO".

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I might be a lone voice on this, but Angel was a really underrated show. It had a lot more depth and character progression than the show that spawned it.

At times it did. While Season 5 was my favourite, the changeover felt clunky. Meanwhile, Spike's character progression in Buffy was, in my opinion, unsurpassed.

I'm not saying that I think Angel is particularly worse or anything - more that I think they're on a pretty level footing.

So what you're basically whining about is that I didn't put a big "IMO" after my post, yes? And that I didn't take more time to produce an exhaustive and fully researched list of sitcoms I consider awful to strengthen my point?

I'm pretty certain I put several caveats in place in my original posts. Not to mention that the fact this is a discussion forum is one massive "IMO".

I've considered the caveats, but they don't number anywhere enough against the shitty pompous bits for your record to be considered anything other than "presents ridiculous opinion as fact."

IMO.

I might be a lone voice on this, but Angel was a really underrated show. It had a lot more depth and character progression than the show that spawned it.

At times it did. While Season 5 was my favourite, the changeover felt clunky. Meanwhile, Spike's character progression in Buffy was, in my opinion, unsurpassed.

I'm not saying that I think Angel is particularly worse or anything - more that I think they're on a pretty level footing.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. I loved both shows and can see the argument for either one - Angel was obviously darker and not so much hamstrung by 'having to make a feminist point' at all times, so it had scope to explore areas Buffy didn't necessarily. Don't think I ever hated any character in either show as much as Connor, though - Vincent Kartheiser's acting nearly fucked the whole thing (Mad Men fans will have to let me know if he's developed into a less punchable actor as time's gone on).

• Paid Members

I've considered the caveats, but they don't number anywhere enough against the shitty pompous bits for your record to be considered anything other than "presents ridiculous opinion as fact."

IMO.

That's fair enough. Having read your posts on this thread, the shitty snide bits (including your INVINCIBLE thing of repeating something somebody else posted in a mocking tone) way outnumber any valid points you've made (and by the way, seeing as I provided a reason why I think Ab Fab is good, why don't you go ahead and provide counters?), and therefore your record reads "More interested in being a ridiculous smart-arse than engaging in any real discussion".

IMO.

YSWIDT? LOL

and by the way, seeing as I provided a reason why I think Ab Fab is good, why don't you go ahead and provide counters?

Sure thing. I'll get right on it after you've given your reasons for why you think The Office (US), Community, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Bored To Death, How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family are shit. Rather than just listing seven random sitcoms (several of which are about a decade old) that you didn't like and pretending they constitute the current US sitcom landscape being awful, because doing that makes it look like you haven't got a clue what you're on about.

I'm sure you realise that I can provide several reasons for why I'd consider Absolutely Fabulous terrible, because I have actually watched it. How many of the above can you honestly say that about? This is a question you should've asked yourself before deciding that that episode of Dharma & Greg you watched in 2000 makes you an authority on the overall quality level of the sitcom genre today.

• Paid Members
and by the way, seeing as I provided a reason why I think Ab Fab is good, why don't you go ahead and provide counters?

Sure thing. I'll get right on it after you've given your reasons for why you think The Office (US), Community, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Bored To Death, How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family are shit. Rather than just listing seven random sitcoms (several of which are about a decade old) that you didn't like and pretending they constitute the current US sitcom landscape being awful, because doing that makes it look like you haven't got a clue what you're on about.

I'm sure you realise that I can provide several reasons for why I'd consider Absolutely Fabulous terrible, because I have actually watched it. How many of the above can you honestly say that about? This is a question you should've asked yourself before deciding that that episode of Dharma & Greg you watched in 2000 makes you an authority on the overall quality level of the sitcom genre today.

article-0-02BD1523000005DC-953_306x248.jpg

Ab Fab, like Men Behaving Badly, is one of those sitcoms that, if you catch an old episode on Dave, you wonder "how did anyone ever find this funny?". It's awful, it's dated so badly.

• Paid Members

Can one of the mods please change his name to "Carbomb IMO"?

• Paid Members
Ab Fab, like Men Behaving Badly, is one of those sitcoms that, if you catch an old episode on Dave, you wonder "how did anyone ever find this funny?". It's awful, it's dated so badly.

Actually, I still like Men Behaving Badly, although I never liked Absolutely Fabulous (despite adoring Julia Swalhala). Martin Clunes' delivery and timing are fantastic - you can continue to see that any time he hosts HIGNFY. He's actually very, very good at what he does, as is Caroline Quentin.

There are times I'd rather the sitcom was just the two of them, but it's enough to keep it watchable for me.

• Paid Members

Wow, and I'm the pompous one? I'm sorry, I forgot I'm the only person on here who has to justify his opinion to you to legitimise his legal status as "UKFF authority on comedy".

Quick point, I think The Office (US) is good. Quite like 30 Rock, did like HIMYM and haven't seen the others. And like I said, I'm open to persuasion - most other people provide examples and recommendations, but you're Pityinthecityofsin, aren't you? Far too ordinary for you - why be constructive when hijacking a thread will do?

And yes, I'm sure you can provide several reasons why you think Ab Fab is terrible, but you haven't done it. The assumptions you make are pretty weak, not to mention your point piss-poor: you've watched all these programmes and thus can have a considered opinion, yet I can't, because in the wonderful world of Pitcos, only you are reasonable enough to have formed one through experience. Of course I've seen the ones I don't like, otherwise I wouldn't have decided I didn't like them.

So no: until you provide those counters, I won't provide those reasons, that's just too one-way for my liking. I was having a discussion with various people on here, posting reasons and opinions, and reading others' with interest, then you came steaming in with your usual. Tits or GTFO.

You're joking, right? Men Behaving Badly is two incredibly sad and pathetic men living in a dingy flat, wasting their lives in pointless drizzling shittery. It's like an advert for suicide.

• Moderators

I was just saying the exact same thing to someone yesterday. I'd love to beat the fuck out of Neil Morrissey in it.

Archived