Charlie Sheen is out of his mind

Mr. Seven

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't think even the sternest Seinfeld critics could ever accuse it of being 'simple'. I think the only reason someone would say that is if they took the 'show about nothing' association literally. Seinfeld is the most multi-layered prime-time and mainstream sitcom that has ever existed, for me. Gladstone is getting upset.

I keep meaning to check out Modern Family.

The Middle I tried a couple episodes, but I hated the mum and dad (especially that woman from Raymond; I don't think she's ever been funny), and it still felt like a lame Malcolm rip off.

You were on the money about Seinfeld, one of my favourites and holds out to repeat viewing (as any good sit-com should). You should check out Modern Family, I left it a bit late a lot of people claiming it was good, well lets say I didn't highly rate their opinion but it's a great little show, some great writing.

There's an episode of Seinfeld in where they start with the last scene first, and reverse all the way through the plot (years before Memento) and manage to tie the whole thing into the first time the characters ever met! Hardly simple.

• Paid Members

Modern Family is really well written, if you can accept the main premise that the dad/grandad can have an uber-hot,younger, latino wife then you should like it.

I think I warmed to 'The Middle' as it wasn't primarily about good looking/wealthy/hollywood people. It was about an average family struggling to keep afloat. The same reason 'Roseanne' was so popular when that came out.

Another shout for Seinfeld here. The fate of George's engagement and the refusal to put Jerry and Elaine together as a couple typifies how different it is from standard formulaic mainstream fare. Also, Bookman the library cop is probably the greatest peripheral character in sitcom history.

As far as mainstream comedy goes, I do enjoy How I Met Your Mother, but would you classify 30 Rock as mainstream? Because that's pretty superb. Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy is up there with Frank Costanza as great comic performances go.

I personally find Two and A Half Men very watchable. I don't crack up at it, but its one of those shows you can watch and enjoy.

30 Rock is great, but I can't help feeling the constant cameo fest is slightly ruining it.

I like Seinfeld, but I don't see it as the best comedy of all time. Again it makes me laugh, and comedy is subjective, btu I personally don't class it as the best.

Archived