Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

• Paid Members
He doesn't seem too keen on lying down for the WCW superstars alumni club though!

Stings a different case. He isn't DDP or Booker T. He's a legit legend, who everyone in the business was either a fan of or respects. Sting was the main man in WCW and the golden boy of the promotion when Austin, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash and Triple H were nobodies or midcarders in WCW, and he was apparently cool as fuck to all of them and was the type of bloke who'd pay for the bill at the end of the night without telling anyone. I've never heard many bad words against the Stinger. Even Vince McMahon really likes him on a personal level, and thats says a lot considering he was the WCW figure head for years.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
He doesn't seem too keen on lying down for the WCW superstars alumni club though!

Stings a different case. He isn't DDP or Booker T. He's a legit legend, who everyone in the business was either a fan of or respects. Sting was the main man in WCW and the golden boy of the promotion when Austin, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash and Triple H were nobodies or midcarders in WCW, and he was apparently cool as fuck to all of them and was the type of bloke who'd pay for the bill at the end of the night without telling anyone. I've never heard many bad words against the Stinger. Even Vince McMahon really likes him on a personal level, and thats says a lot considering he was the WCW figure head for years.

Alex wright has mentioned that whilst he was first signed with WCW, in the first few months......he didnt recieve any money, (he did end up getting his money, bit of a gaff on wcws part), but sting let Alex stay in his hotel rooms the whole time he was out of money. So thats awesome for a new guy to be treated so well by WCW's (or one of) top guys. I doubt that would happen anywher else.

Nothing of importance, but a little "Sting is cool" sort of thing :thumbsup:

Absolutely. He moves like a guy a decade younger than he is, and at various points in TNA has been in pretty good shape. He also got into the swing of the high-flying stuff as well with a few highspots, and was fit enough to keep up with guys like Angle or AJ Styles.

With the motivation that will come from being in WWE, I think he'll blow people away.

• Paid Members
What's Sting like in the ring these days anyway? Would he give a decent match?

When motivated, he can still have a great match. He match with Kurt Angle at Bound For Glory is one of my favourites of his, even thought he was approaching 50. He had some duff matches towards the end of his TNA run, but I reckon if Sting were to debut in WWE, be put in a good light, and find his motivation again then there is definitely one good match against a new, fresh opponent left in Sting.

If Sting were to sign, he should really wrestle Taker at next years WrestleMania. As it is, practically any match of his is going to be interesting, so a match against Dolph Ziggler would be fun. Cena and Orton matches could have great build behind them, but they seem to have potential Mania matches already sewn up.

Theres not really enough time to build a meaningful Sting Vs Triple H match though is there? Hunter probably won't be back until around the same time as Sting is supposed to appear on Raw, and he needs his revenge feud with Sheamus. Same with Undertaker, he needs to do one more match with Kane to settle the score, and then turn his attention to Wade Barrett and his gang. Theres just no time, which is very worrying.

Edited by ThePhenom

WWE will do whatever draws at Wrestlemania. I believe they will go with Sting vs Undertaker over another match with Kane, no matter how they have to book it. Wrestlemania might be lacking a big, iconic match at this rate. If Sting is available what would you rather go with at Wrestlemania? Nobody gives a fuck about another Kane/Undertaker match.

• Paid Members

Also worth noting that Sting has developed into one of the best promos in wrestling in his last couple of years. Some of his Main Event Mafia ones were up there with the best.

Stings last TNA run didn't feature any good matches (nothing shit either) but it's worth noting he was wrestling with a fucked up arm for most of it.

It has to be Sting - 10 years since WCW went under, WM's in Atlanta and not only was Sting one of WCW's greatest success stories, he's also the last true legend never to have worked for the WWE. From what I've read over the years, there's never been any friction between the two parties and with both Sting and Vince knowing just how much potential there is to be had from "The Icon" going to the Dub (WM, Merch, DVD, Book etc), then I can't see why people seem to think that there's no chance it could happen.

The only two feasible (though highly unlikely) alternatives are that it's a) 'Taker, or b) a new 'dark', Undertaker-esque character coming to face 'The Deadman' at 'Mania.

I very much doubt that it's Taker because, as has already been pointed out earlier in this thread, they wouldn't bring him back with a vignette which bares such resemblance to Sting's Starrcade one, with it being so close to the Atlanta 'Mania.

I doubt that it's b) either; to debut a complete newcomer who could realistically pose a serious threat to Undertaker's WM streak would be nigh-on impossible.

Only a couple of years ago Hade Vansen was apparently slated for the Taker Mania match, and he hadn't even appeared on WWE TV (and ultimately only appeared in 1 vignette before the plan and his WWE career was aborted).

I've not heard of that before. Do you remember when was this planned to take place? For example, six months before 'Mania could be seen as sufficient time to build up a character. We're only a couple of months off Mania now, and having gone over Michaels the past two years on the bounce, it's going to take someone with a serious amount of credential to pose any sort of threat to Taker's streak.

The Vansen video happened around Christmas 2008, so it would've been for WrestleMania 25 I guess. Glad the idea got dropped.

Right I was a massive Sting fan back in WCW. And seeing as he's the only WCW main eventer never to have worked for the WWE at one point, it would be great to see him wrestle in a WWE ring, even if it was just a short term thing. The guy's not getting any younger and he's said in the past that he and Vince McMahon get on relatively well and money's never been a stumbling block, so with WWE now having a PG rating, and the promotion lacking a bit of star power, perhaps this is the closest he will ever be to signing.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be just an Undertaker return though. Massive let-down that would be.

Edited by paultravellfan