Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

On the subject of Orton - he really is dull at the moment.

Seconded. It took me a while to jump on the Orton fan wagon but when i was on it, i was on it all the way. But his Rumble performance and title match weren't the best. Seemed to do a hell of a lot of clotheslines and not a lot else apart from a decent facial and cutter.

The winner was always going to be a "new face". I'm fully behind the Rio win. Loved it and really loved the Santino spot. I actually thought that might happen when i saw him go under the ropes, but then thought, "nah, they wont end on comedy" and then totally forgot about him. They got it spot on.

Nexus stuff was particulary great. That was the best thing about the rumble for me. Great to see Booker and Diesel. Booker has still got it, not sure about Big Daddy Cool though, looked very unsteady!

Mania is too hard to call for me at the moment. I'll watch the coming weeks with interest. People have been touting a Barett / Taker match, but what about Taker / HHH?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i re-watched the rumble last night and appreciated it a lot more the second time. it did cater for every type of fan so it did indeed succeed as a very good rumble.

I gotta say im not a fan of Orton, i feel he is being pushed down our throats as the new stone cold, first we had the stone cold as a tweener that everybody loved cause he just does what he wants when he wants. now orton does that. then stone cold was called the rattlesnake, orton is the viper. stone cold did the louis thez press (spell check) and now orton does. come to think about it, both of their finishing moves are modified neck breakers. AARRGGGHH.

Id rather just see Stone Cold back rather than a Orton imitating him. It might just be me that thinks this but i liked Orton better when he was the Legend Killer (even though there's only so long you can do that for).

• Moderators

Really good show.

Title matches were surprisingly decent, both with good finishes. Ziggler sold like a champ for Edge.

Rumble match itself was thoroughly entertaining. I've never been as entertained by Chavo Guerrero as I was during that show, and the Hornswoggle stuff was suprisingly fun as well. All the early going with Bryan/Regal/Punk etc. was hot shit.

Hell, I even enjoyed Booker T because his appearance was kept nice and short.

I had never seen Husky Harris before - dude is a beast. I'd like to see more of him.

I thought it was a fantastic Rumble match too. It told countless stories, was booked at a nice pace, gave them an outstanding new heel, continued the Cena/Nexus and Cena/Miz feuds which gives them two great possibilities for WM. Smackdown was a little short changed in terms of feud progression but Barrett and Del Rio are now more credible heels. The crowd reactions were superb. The pop for Booker was great.

Only a couple of complaints from me. John Morrison's spot was phenomonal but he went out way too early for a babyface of his promise. He should have been in for an hour. Only other thing was the eliminations during entrances. Surely they could pace it so that doesn't happen because it takes the focus off people. Oh, and Barrett spoiling Diesel's snake eyes by throwing silly little punches at him was shit.

Great rumble match though, I loved it.

Haha, funny you should mention that. I watched the show live and rewatched it with my older brother the next day who is a huge Diesel mark from his childhood. When that happened he moaned "fuck sake, what the hell is Barrett doing, what does he actually expect to achieve here?" It's funny that even though he is a casual viewer these days, he still sees things through the eyes of a 'smark'.

The Rumble match stood up on a second viewing. The more I think about it, the reaction Booker T got was insane. I think this is one of my favourite Rumbles ever.

I gotta say im not a fan of Orton, i feel he is being pushed down our throats as the new stone cold, first we had the stone cold as a tweener that everybody loved cause he just does what he wants when he wants. now orton does that. then stone cold was called the rattlesnake, orton is the viper. stone cold did the louis thez press (spell check) and now orton does. come to think about it, both of their finishing moves are modified neck breakers. AARRGGGHH.

Id rather just see Stone Cold back rather than a Orton imitating him. It might just be me that thinks this but i liked Orton better when he was the Legend Killer (even though there's only so long you can do that for).

You missed off that he even did the SCSA taunt when he entered for the WWE Title match. Second rop turnbuckle pose with middle fingers up. I noticed that straight away, thought it must have been a tongue in cheek gesture.

I enjoyed this years Rumble greatly, the booking of it was brilliant, a few of my musings

- Edge and Ziggler was a very good match, im glad Edge won because I want Del Rio to beat him at Mania but it was a great performance by both. The crowd were hot as well

- Relieved The Miz retained, a friend I watched it with was convinced he would retain but I wasnt so sure, Miz has grown so much and his upcoming feud with Cena should be gold

- Loved the Rumble, Punk was very entertaining like he almost always is, great performance from him for the first half.

- Loved Miz on commentary and him elimating Cena to lay the table for them at Mania,

- Both Nash and Booker got massive pops, that Diesal chant was deafeaning, get that man in the Hall Of Fame this year. However I would prefer if Nash is to work at Mania he face maybe Swagger or Ziggler as a match with The Big Show would be a bit too slow paced given there advanced age and injuries

- Orton is falling fast, that stare down with Cena you could hear a rat piss on cotton. He is just not entertaining enough

- Ted Dibase is about as over as a paedofile in a primary school

• Paid Members

I might add more later, but very quickly; bar Randy Orton being the dullest, slowest wrestler to ever exist, this show was awesome. Great opener and absolutely fantastic Rumble. Easily the best in the last five years.

If Kevin Nash isn't revealed to be the Mystery GM, they've lost their fucking minds.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but by a margin of about 30 seconds over Rumble 2002, I think the Rumble became the longest match in company history.

What were your thoughts on the show Lister, would be interested to hear.

• Paid Members

Having also watched the Rumble again today, I never thought i'd say this but i loved Chavo's spell in the Rumble, attempting to hit the three amigo's only for someone to stop him each time he got onto the third one so was rather happy for him to finally hit it on Bryan and the crowd seemed to get behind him aswell.

Santino looked Genuinly emotional when he was about to do the cobra on Del rio. Loved the ending of that.

I think with Orton is he was so entertaining when he turned batshit heel punting vince and rko ing steph, everyone loved him he was mental, he needs to go back to that.

• Paid Members

New Nash info. Looks like he might be sticking around after all:

- Kevin Nash appeared on ESPN Radio's Pro Wrestling Report, available at pwrshow.com, last night to talk about his return to WWE and more.

Nash noted that WWE flew him out of Daytona Beach, Florida so it would be easier on him. He said if TNA would have flown him out of the state, he would have to have driven from his home to Orlando, 90 miles, opposed to the few miles when traveling with WWE. Nash talked about how nice his accommodations were while staying in Boston.

The former World Champion noted that he signed paperwork and had a physical upon arriving to the arena. Nash said he spent about a half-hour with Triple H before shooting photos and video with WWE staff. He then met with Vince McMahon before hanging out with Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, where he went over plans for the Rumble with Triple H.

Nash also noted that he talked with people from THQ, makers of SmackDown vs. RAW and All Stars, while he was at the Rumble.

Nash said that he is signed to a Legends contract and will meet with WWE officials on Wednesday of this week to talk about what's next. Under the Legends deal, Nash will likely be involved with things like action figures and DVD's.

Archived