Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

I really hope that they DON'T keep Kevin Nash and Booker T around for the upcoming months. Some talent aren't getting enough TV time as it is without giving these two washed up, crippled idiots 15 minutes a week.

I've not seen the show but it sounds like Diesel was over big time. Accordingly I'd be inclined to have him come out and squash/attack someone/people for 3 minutes on the weekly show and build him upto a proper match at Mania.

You can't create crowd reactions like he appears to have got last night, it's probably the closest they've had to a 'big' debut since the Goldberg video played at Mania 19.

It was a nostalgia pop from a crowd mostly made up of adults who remember him. Once they go out on the road and the ratio of kids and women goes back to normal he'll get the same lackluster reactions that Bret Hart got on Raw every week this time last year.

You don't know if it was a nostalgia pop until they do it again.

It's worth a try, given how crap their ppv buyrates have been of late.

It must be getting close to the stage where Vinny Mac thinks anything is worth a whirl to try and get ratings. As a matter of fact perhaps the Rumble winner is a sign of this.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you really think WWE will allow anyone to lower themselves down from the rafters after what happened to Owen Hart?

Didnt CM Punk climb the titantron and threaten to jump off a few weeks ago on RAW? Im sure thats what I heard, so I dont think WWE have a problem with it.

That is quite a different thing mate. Punk was not lowered to the Arena floor wearing that harness.

However, seeing Punk up there did make me think of Hawk and Droz... so not really that much better.

• Paid Members

There's a big difference between someone being lowered from the arena from 80 foot and someone climbing a ladder to the top of a big screen. WWE would never use the Owen Hart stunt again. Martha Hart goes mental when Bret Hart wears an iron on t-shirt with Owen on it. Imagine if she found out they were back in the business of dropping wrestlers from the arena top again. Sting's about 80 now anyway. He hasnt done the stunt in years.

• Paid Members

Fucking loved that show, I can't believe some people are saying it was "meh" or same old.

The two title matches were enjoyable, I loved Edge Vs Ziggler.

The rumble was excellent, perfectly paced it had that old rumble filling up feel at times, the whole Nexus bit which was great and made them look ace. Then when Cena ran down after the others hadn't been able to stop them I was out the chair, if I'd have been 8 I'd be going fucking mental then as he really felt like a hero. The hornswaggle bits were some good light hearted stuff and gave some rest bite. Then you had what was a surprising win from my seat, an intense and still very entertaining end, a booker return and Diesel, FUCKING DIESEL PEOPLE. I was out the chair pulling an imaginary truck horn with accompanying "poot, poot" noise. The Cena elimination was top fucking draw too, made Miz look a right prick.

It was very well paced, the crowed were well into it on the whole and it genuinely shocked me, made me care more about set people, left me hyped for Wrestlemania and left me very entertained.

The only odd bit was why the two title contenders were in the rumble with what seemed like little explanation.

Edit: Morrison was fucking off the chain, I couldn't believe he tried that let alone pulled it off, that was fucking amazing.

It was very well paced, the crowed were well into it on the whole and it genuinely shocked me, made me care more about set people, left me hyped for Wrestlemania and left me very entertained.

Yeah the crowd were excellent, I was really suprised how loud they were, Regal got a great reception which was cool.

Rewatched the show today.

Regal's reaction was probably the most surprising of the night because he is barely on TV anymore.

Booker T's reaction was louder and more sustained than Diesel's. Diesel having more time resulted in more chants for him, i think if Booker had come in later he would have gotten chants too.

Nice tease of Diesel/Show, but i really don't want to see it. Nash leg's are screwed and it showed heavily. He struggles to turn around, and only hit a big boot with assistance from the rope.

Wrestlemania is shaping up quite nicely. Miz/Cena, Punk/Orton, Del Rio/Edge are three great headline matches.

Just watched the womens match again:

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Dispite how freakin beautiful Eve is i was really hoping Awesome Kong would turn up, Or at least have beth Pheonix be the fourth woman and Kong take her out of the match

Really enjoyed the Royal Rumble. Both title matches were really good I thought, especially the Edge/Ziggler match, whilst the Royal Rumble itself I thought was the best in years. I was against it at first but I think the 40 entrants thing was a good idea in the end. One of the best bits about the Rumble is the excitement over who is coming out next so more of that was fun.

The pops Booker T and Diesel got were brilliant, I was worried beforehand that maybe the fan turnover since Nash was last in the WWE would mean he wouldn't get a good pop but I was wrong. That was a monster ovation. Delighted with Del Rio winning overall but when Santino re-appeared I was actually cheering him on.

I thought the crowd was fantastic. Really loud all night.

• Paid Members

I was pretty disappointed Santino didn't win too, I actually think Santino/Edge would have been a pretty fun feud to lead into Wrestlemania. Edge could have feigned friendliness, encouraging Santino to face him (because he thinks it's an easy win at 'Mania) before turning fully heel on him when it seems Santino is choosing to face Miz. Santino then changes his mind, and actually pulls off a few decent victories in the run up to Wrestlemania putting Edge...well..."on Edge!"

Santino is one of the top 3 most over wrestlers on RAW, I really believe that and a PPV title shot for the guy is justifiable! And on a "B" PPV I reckon it could even draw a decent buyrate!

I liked the PPV I must say, Edge and Ziggler had a really good match. I don't think they have great chemistry together but that was good and should cement Ziggler into the main event player status.

Did anyone think that Edge using the Killswitch was a hint that a Christian comeback was gonna happen? Matt said giving a shout out to his 'buddy', if Christian wasn't going to be in the rumble why didn't he just say giving a shout out to his buddy Christian! Stupid dick.

Regardless of that small annoyance the Rumble was decent with a few problems. Nexus dominated everyone, then of course Superman comes down and eliminates them with ease thus making everyone else look like a tool in the process. Then his little team with Hornswaggle made everyone who came in and got eliminated by them look shit too. There was no need for Hornswaggle, and Cena's dominance wasn't good after watching Nexus dominate people for 10 entrants. Then Ziggler and Orton, why didn't the mention this? The commentary in the Rumble wasn't great tbh, they fucked up, barely noticing some people getting eliminated. Ziggler and Orton should have been mentioned on commentary about getting in the rumble cause it was a bit weird.

Glad Alberto won, when it came to the last 4 I was dreading a Cena win, so happy when Miz chucked him out.

Am I the only one disappointed Big Kev dyed his hair, he looked boss with his long grey hair! :(

I was pretty disappointed Santino didn't win too, I actually think Santino/Edge would have been a pretty fun feud to lead into Wrestlemania. Edge could have feigned friendliness, encouraging Santino to face him (because he thinks it's an easy win at 'Mania) before turning fully heel on him when it seems Santino is choosing to face Miz. Santino then changes his mind, and actually pulls off a few decent victories in the run up to Wrestlemania putting Edge...well..."on Edge!"

Santino is one of the top 3 most over wrestlers on RAW, I really believe that and a PPV title shot for the guy is justifiable! And on a "B" PPV I reckon it could even draw a decent buyrate!

I really like that suggestion. Would of made for a fairly interesting "midcard" world title match. That's the advantage of having two world belts.... you can make one serious and take chance with the other on some of the biggest shows of the year.

Archived