Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

I really hope that they DON'T keep Kevin Nash and Booker T around for the upcoming months. Some talent aren't getting enough TV time as it is without giving these two washed up, crippled idiots 15 minutes a week.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed the show both title matches delivered (Miz/Orton was better than I expected) and the right man won the Rumble. Del Rio vs Edge at Mania sounds good to me.

Seeing Nash in a WWE ring again was a bit surreal, get the man on commentary if he's sticking around.

A little shocked at the lack of HHH but as soon a Sheamus got tossed I kinda figured he wouldnt be in the RR

Thought it was funny that the couple of times they teased Orton/Cena during the Rumble match the crowd really sounded like they couldn't give a shit.

EDIT - Pretty sure Tyson Kidd won't around for much longer after that burial.

I really hope that they DON'T keep Kevin Nash and Booker T around for the upcoming months. Some talent aren't getting enough TV time as it is without giving these two washed up, crippled idiots 15 minutes a week.

I've not seen the show but it sounds like Diesel was over big time. Accordingly I'd be inclined to have him come out and squash/attack someone/people for 3 minutes on the weekly show and build him upto a proper match at Mania.

You can't create crowd reactions like he appears to have got last night, it's probably the closest they've had to a 'big' debut since the Goldberg video played at Mania 19.

I've not seen the show but it sounds like Diesel was over big time. Accordingly I'd be inclined to have him come out and squash/attack someone/people for 3 minutes on the weekly show and build him upto a proper match at Mania.

You can't create crowd reactions like he appears to have got last night, it's probably the closest they've had to a 'big' debut since the Goldberg video played at Mania 19.

It was a nostalgia pop from a crowd mostly made up of adults who remember him. Once they go out on the road and the ratio of kids and women goes back to normal he'll get the same lackluster reactions that Bret Hart got on Raw every week this time last year.

The camera crew/director were absolutely shiiiiiiiiiite last night, they seem to miss everything...

Yeah man, the bit that got more was Hornswaggle was about to tadpole splash someone (forgot already) but just as he got to the top rope (takes the wee guy a while) it cut to John Cena smiling and stayed there until after the splash. Very odd.

• Paid Members

I never kept up with the build up for this one, didn't even know the card so hearing Nash came back as Diesel was a surprise. I went on youtube and watched his entrance and he looked good, amazing what a bit of Just For Men can do.

Can't see him wrestling much which is probably a good thing, probably just a match at Wrestlemania and then some on screen role. I like the suggestion of Nash on commentary, Kevin Nash & microphone = :D

Hope he gets a DVD with a doc and stuff that could be fun. Isn't HBK going in the HOF this year too? Nash inducting him would be cool.

For the most part the Rumble was average. Hornswoggle KILLED it, then there was just zero reaction for Orton and besides Morrisons crazy spot, there wasn't any 'near' eliminations or nice teases. I enjoyed the start and had a stupid smile all over my face for Nash and Booker, but everything else was rather mediocre with lack of story considering the chances they had. Del Rio is fantastic, he was my pick to win.

Wonder why? ;)

WCW? ha, while it was great seeing nash and booker, I think my head would have exploded if Sting showed up, the way I would have done it, would be when Nexus are throwing everyone out and then all of sudden you see Sting in the rafters, he then does his Batman act rope down with his bat and proceeds to beat the shit out of Nexus, holy fuck talk about marking out, I'd collapse, it would make total sense and be a throw back to him beating the nWo up, then when he is done the lights go out and come back on and he has vanished, leading to massive hype/speculation about a match at WM with Taker, of course this is all fantasy booking, Sting probably wont sign with WWE even for a one off.

Why is Randy Orton so fucking boring?

Hopefully this might help them realise that they need to do something with Orton, because he just doesn't work out as a face unless there is a specifically interesting angle going on. And who is surprised- after spending years as a believable heel, why would you want to cheer Orton? What makes fans want Orton to win? Nothing.

Yeah having been a massive fan of Orton for years, I feel like I just dont care about him anymore, his star power is quickly fading, compared to the heat he had in evo, legend killer days, its not even close.

I thought something was wrong with my headphones watching Miz/Orton match, I couldnt hear the crowd so turned them on full blast, and realized it wasnt my headphones, but the crowd were dead, it seems unless Orton is teasing or doing the RKO nobody gives a fuck, it certainly has to be worrying for WWE, considering after Cena, Orton is the next big thing, but he is falling even more behind Cena at this rate.

Yeah nobody wants to see Cena vs Orton again, I felt nothing in that staredown either, pity because I thought these two would have a great Austin/Rock like rival, but its not the case at all.

I also laughed how SuperCena once again destoryed Nexus all by himself, how many times is he going to do it, Nexus havent been a threat since Summer Slam imo.

Not sure what to think of the Miz, he was facing Borton after all, but he didnt really make the match any more interesting, I dont feel anything much for him, I dont think he will make it at the top level, unless he is paired with a big name, I dont see many people caring what he is doing.

Rio winning was also abit of meh for me, again I dont hate the guy and I havent watched SD! in years, so maybe he is the shit on there, but it was still a meh, better than Cena or Orton winning though.

Also I see Kane is back to being his jobber self, that was one overall problem with rumble for me, the way people went out, hated how Nash and Booker went, amongst others.

Wonder why? ;)

WCW? ha, while it was great seeing nash and booker, I think my head would have exploded if Sting showed up, the way I would have done it, would be when Nexus are throwing everyone out and then all of sudden you see Sting in the rafters, he then does his Batman act rope down with his bat and proceeds to beat the shit out of Nexus, holy fuck talk about marking out, I'd collapse, it would make total sense and be a throw back to him beating the nWo up, then when he is done the lights go out and come back on and he has vanished, leading to massive hype/speculation about a match at WM with Taker, of course this is all fantasy booking, Sting probably wont sign with WWE even for a one off.

Do you really think WWE will allow anyone to lower themselves down from the rafters after what happened to Owen Hart?

LOL In what way is Booker T a 'crippled idiot'?

He's had no serious injuries, is only 45 (and could easily pass for younger), and looked like he could still 'go' in his short Rumble spot.

As for Nash, I'm far from his biggest fan, but he was super over with that crowd last night, regardless of his limitations.

WM27 needs some special attractions to make it, erm, special.

They should have the Core continually destroy Big Show, leading to Big Show bringing in Diesel as his partner for a handicap tag match vs Ezekiel & Slater & Gabriel. Barrett could face Taker.

As for Booker T, I think he showed enough to be placed back into the upper mid-card for one last run. Could see him in the MITB match as one of the participants.

It was a nostalgia pop from a crowd mostly made up of adults who remember him. Once they go out on the road and the ratio of kids and women goes back to normal he'll get the same lackluster reactions that Bret Hart got on Raw every week this time last year.

You don't know if it was a nostalgia pop until they do it again.

It's worth a try, given how crap their ppv buyrates have been of late.

• Paid Members

My Rumble thoughts, penned without reading too much of the thread, so apologies if I parrot anybody's opinions too much:

- Overall, a damn enjoyable affair. Not without it's flaws, as we will come to, but pretty good.

- The two title matches exceeded my expecations, Miz-Orton more than Edge-Ziggler, as I've been very impressed with Dolph the last 6 months, and he's put on a few good matches as of late. But still, better than I expected.

- I made a cup of tea during the women's match, but what I saw of it wasn't too bad. I did have a little chuckle to myself about Natalya seemingly not even trying to kick out of Michelle's not-exactly-tight rollup, then just getting straight up after the 3 was counted.

- The rumble itself, pretty entertaining. A second-straight awesome rumble performance from Punk. The New Nexus stuff was well-booked for the most part, howver..

- It did result in an awful lot of guys being eliminated in 90 seconds or less. For that section it was OK, but then they repeated it again with Cena & Hornswoggle, which a) resulted in several periods of inaction, and b) seemed to scream "there might be 40 of these guys, but by god they're jobbers". As I said, it was an ok angle for the Nexus stuff, but the first half of the rumble did seem to fall into a pattern of "some guys are doing their thing, someone comes in and gets tossed, they go back to doing what they were doing before" - Punk/Bryan, Nexus, Cena/Hornswoggle.

- I haven't sat and done the maths, but I would estimate approaching half, if not more, of the field lasted less than 3 minutes.

- A lot of guys were tossed with less fanfare than I'd have expected - Sheamus, Morrison, and in particular Ziggler spring to mind. Unless they're headed towards a Show/Ziggler feud, I'm not really sure why they had Dolph do the double-duty without really making any Rumble impact. Certainly not without any "Excuse Me!", "Vickie's weasled her boyfriend back into the Rumble to give him a second crack at Wrestlemania" stuff. I suppose Orton did the same, but they could equally have made mention of the fact the losers of the title matches were going to get those second shots. (My final Rumble prediction to a mate yesterday was Miz loses the title, wins the Rumble.)

- Glad to see Alberto pick up the win. Love the guy. The Santino finish was pretty nice, actually. We're used to seeing former champs/established Mania main eventers squaring off in the latter seconds of the rumble, this was something different and it worked. The reaction the crowd gave Santino made it. (Actually, the crowd were pretty hot on that stuff all night - was it my sleep-deprivation, or did pretty much all the first 10 guys or so into the Rumble get huge pops, in paticular Regal?)

Guessing Mania will look something like this...

- Cena/Miz

- Orton/Punk

- Edge/del Rio

- Show/Ziggler (or Show/Diesel a possiblity, if Big Kev is hanging around)

- Rhodes/Mysterio

- HHH/Sheamus

- Taker/Barrett (if Taker's anywhere near fit. He can run through Wade in pretty short order without doing too much damage to his standing)

- Corre/Nexus (Barrett involved with Corre if Taker's not fit, returning Sheffield the 4th Corre man if he is?)

- Some kind of MITB replacement - how about a double-title ladder match, for both the US & IC titles, with each one hung on either side of the ring? Bryan/Kofi/Morrison/McIntyre/Christian (if healthy)/Bourne (if healthy)/Swagger/Truth/Henry etc. etc....

- Santino/Kozlov vs Ryder/Primo in a comedy-heavy pre-show tag titles match?

Edit: Oh, and was it my imagination, or did Riley fall off the apron and out when he wasn't supposed to? It looked that was from the way he fell, and led to the obvious Miz fuck-up on commentary shortly later, as no-one seemed to notice he'd gone. If so, he's surely only one more dreadful cock-up away from getting the Planet Stasiak gimmick?

Striker's "Hey look, Diesel has been eliminated!" was awesome. It was even better that they were on camera at the time.

Archived