Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

I can't remember where it was exactly here, but not too long ago we were discussing an "unwritten" rule in the Royal Rumble that was once mentioned at an earlier RR that once you are due to enter, if you don't enter the ring before the next competitor is due out, you are eliminated. That being the case, technically (although I know the WWE doesn't really bother or care), Del Rio should have been eliminated as he hadn't reached the ring when Randy Orton then came out.

As for Santino, I'd like to see them do something to further his "Last Two" appearance and the Raw GM knowledge him being the last Raw superstar standing by seeing him being offered a spot in the Elimination Chamber. It could certainly be an entertaining few weeks for Santino's character leading up to it.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:laugh: What a guy, noticed on his twitter he said it was the best night of his career and it felt great to be back in the WWE family. Awww.

I thought the event was great. Two titles were very enjoyable, Ziggler/Edge was a bit ahead of Orton/Miz but both well above average.

Actual Rumble match was great stuff, I like the 40 man aspect and it was paced and panned out well. With one fell swoop I can roughly sketch a Wrestlemania card whereas last night I wouldn't have known where to begin, it's the brilliance of the Rumble as a tool and why it's the start of the road to Mania.

I was worried at first it was going to descend into last years in that people would come in and hit a few moves and get thrown out and it all looking a bit contrived, but there was less this year and when people were coming in and out quickly it was for a good reason ie the Nexus bit. It was definately like two mini rumbles, the first ending with Nexus being eliminated, but I didn't think either half was better, as I said I thought the stories flowed well througout. Del-Rio was a surprise winner for me, If they were going to take a punt on someone (which I didn't think was their thing in the Rumble) I didn't think it'd be him, but I'm a fan and i'm intrigued to see if he can go on to great things.

With all the story advancement and building up of people there were plenty of Rumble moments that I'll remember, Santino at the end, Chavo going Suplex crazy, Morrison's absolutley unbelievable stunt that I still can't believe he pulled off and of course the brilliant returns of Booker and Diesel. Even though i'd heard the rumours I wasn't sure and they were still brilliant moments, it was a shock that it was Diesel and not Nash that walked out. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of both of them in the coming months. So yeah it was a top Rumble, a re-watch will probably be needed to see where it fits for me all-time but It will probably be up there.

By the way, nothing says "I'm never going to hit the major highs in the WWE" like getting an Attitude Adjustment from Hornswoggle! :laugh:

Maybe this is Vince's new way of delivering the future endeavour letter...taking ANY signature move from Hornswoggle in front of hard cam at a PPV? More fun then a quick note on WWE.com

This thread is going to Suspensionmania.

Nah, pretty sure that's in March.

Following the first SmackDown! of the year...

Dolph getting a top line push? Nice. Interesting to see how he matches up with Edge. Maybe, as has been said, he loses out initially but wins MITB at WM. Give him a bit more time.

I think they match up well. They had a cracking long TV match on SmackDown! the other month that myself and purplemonkey both nominated for MOTY that was probably Edge's best match post-comeback and with the exception of maybe the Morrison and Cena ones, better than anything he had in 2009 as well. Well worth the time and some of the best executed near-falls you will see from a WWE match in 2010. Really I think a bump machine like Ziggler may be the ideal opponent for Edge at this stage. Throw in the stuff with Vickie which gives them a natural reason to dislike each other and it writes itself really.

Ziggler's also a guy who is at just the right level where getting some World Title shots under his belt without winning it won't damage him because he's someone fresh to the main events but also hasn't peaked yet. Meanwhile for Edge it makes sense as something to pass the time between now and WrestleMania (presuming he keeps the belt until then) where he could work a 'passing of the torch' type match against Del Rio setting up old Alberto as the Top Heel on the B Show (Edge's old role) for the next year.

I think that would be a good way for it to go for him: he loses to Edge at Royal Rumble (think he'd benefit from it being on PPV) and Elimination Chamber but goes on to win Money In The Bank with some main event experience behind him. By the time he cashes in he should be seen more like an Edge/Miz than a Jack Swagger (which he could well end up as if they gave him the belt right away against Edge). Given the age/injuries/both (in a few cases) of guys like Cena/Undertaker/Edge/Mysterio/Triple H they should really be looking to the future with guys like himself, Miz, Morrison, Sheamus, Del Rio, Barrett, Bryan, etc. as guys who will not only be people to get short title runs/the odd PPV main events but as potential WrestleMania headliners.

Looks like I was right about Ziggler's chances at the Rumble and Del Rio/Edge at WrestleMania. I still stand by the fact Edge and Ziggler match up well, as well. That was much more fun than the WWE Title Match for me. Now they just need to give Ziggler a rematch at Elimination Chamber and the MITB win for the rest of my 2011 predictions to come true.

Detailed thoughts on the Rumble later. For now (and I thought I

Well I really enjoyed the show. The two title matches were good and the Rumble match was a lot of fun. Diesel coming out made me mark out more than I have for anything for a long time and for a split second I believed Santino could actually win the thing. An enjoyable show overall for me.

Loved Eve crying, not because I imagine her to have tears of joy, but because she was so upset that no one gave a shit and were chanting more for someone that hasn't even been in the company yet.

Booker and Diesel were immense, and fair play to the crowd for giving them all the respect and adulation they deserve.

The event as a whole was very enjoyable. Can't really criticise much at all, and the majority of the Rumble was very well booked as always, and as many have said it sets up most of the 'Mania card perfectly.

• Paid Members
I can't remember where it was exactly here, but not too long ago we were discussing an "unwritten" rule in the Royal Rumble that was once mentioned at an earlier RR that once you are due to enter, if you don't enter the ring before the next competitor is due out, you are eliminated. That being the case, technically (although I know the WWE doesn't really bother or care), Del Rio should have been eliminated as he hadn't reached the ring when Randy Orton then came out.

It's Savage in 1991 you're thinking of. If that rule's been retrospectively removed, we have a huge problem as that year now has three legitimate winners: Hogan, Savage, and Kerry Von Erich.

I was pretty disappointed Santino didn't win too, I actually think Santino/Edge would have been a pretty fun feud to lead into Wrestlemania. Edge could have feigned friendliness, encouraging Santino to face him (because he thinks it's an easy win at 'Mania) before turning fully heel on him when it seems Santino is choosing to face Miz. Santino then changes his mind, and actually pulls off a few decent victories in the run up to Wrestlemania putting Edge...well..."on Edge!"

Santino is one of the top 3 most over wrestlers on RAW, I really believe that and a PPV title shot for the guy is justifiable! And on a "B" PPV I reckon it could even draw a decent buyrate!

I really like that suggestion. Would of made for a fairly interesting "midcard" world title match. That's the advantage of having two world belts.... you can make one serious and take chance with the other on some of the biggest shows of the year.

You say that, but people had a right period about that awesome Cena/DX/Hornswoggle build up to Survivor Series the other year. That stuff was gold.

On the Rumble, an absolutely brilliant show I thought. I'm 100% sold on Ziggler now, that was the best Edge match I've seen in forever, and Miz/Orton was better than it had any right to be, considering how Orton is just pretty boring underneath the big spots. The Rumble itself was one of my favourites ever I think. Some great stories told, a refreshing risk with the winner (and the last few minutes in general) and bloody fucking Diesel. If Cena/Miz, Edge/Del Rio and Nexus/Corre are three of the big things they want to do at Mania, they went a really good way in that direction. What I especially loved was that this felt like one of those Pat Patterson Rumbles, where the majority of guys in there serve some purpose, be it big or small, to the overall tale of the match. Barring Shawn Michaels' masterful display last year, the last few years it's just been lots of guys coming in, hitting finishers and bailing/lying around depending on their place in the pecking order. This year could almost be split into nice defined chapters that were all rewarding in their own way. An excellent event this year.

• Paid Members

It's Savage in 1991 you're thinking of. If that rule's been retrospectively removed, we have a huge problem as that year now has three legitimate winners: Hogan, Savage, and Kerry Von Erich.

Better round up Hogan, Savage and Kerry's fake foot to settle this once and for all.

8. Mask vs. Mask: Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio

Haha, cracking idea.

Thanks. The way I see it they could have Rhodes (filmed from behind again like on SmackDown) announce that Mysterio ruined his looks and his life, that his career is over and that we'll never see his face again. The next week a masked man who looks/moves exactly like him attacks Rey Mysterio. Rhodes ends up back wrestling, but under a mask, promising that we'll never get to see his face but wanting to expose Mysterio (like all Rey's enemies seem to want to). Of course this would also be a good way to get a quick pop for every babyface that wrestles him as they all try and remove the mask like with Punk last year except better (or like Angle/Molly's wigs) only to fail so that when Rey finally removes the mask it gets a pop from the crowd.

From a keyfabe perspective at what point are the Rumble participants informed whether or not they'll be in the Rumble and which number they've drawn? Why would Ziggler and Orton ask to be in the Rumble when there's the chance that they might win titles at the PPV anyway? Surely the fact that Edge and Miz didn't enter the Rumble means that they already knew they'd retain and wouldn't need a second chance to get back in the title picture. One can assume that the Rumble contestants and their order of appearance could have been decided mere moments before the Rumble began but that doesn't explain how Booker T and Kevin Nash came to be there, are we supposed to believe that they just happened to be in the area with their ring gear and that someone in the WWE just invited them to participate?

Does WWE need to make more efforts to protect the anonymity their 'surprise' entrants?

When fans first started using the Internet for wrestling-related gossip, they were generally in the minority and it would've been unreasonable for the WWE to cater to such a small portion of its fans. Likewise, anyone who'd stumbled upon potential spoilers only really had themselves to blame, knowing full well the risks involved.

But, fast forward to 2011, and we're now in an Internet-dominated era, and it's certainly not unreasonable for WWE to expect its fans to access information about its brand online. When I read earlier in the week that Diesel and Booker T were scheduled to compete, I was disappointed that the surprise had been ruined. However, for once I didn't feel that I personally was to blame. Going on a site such as PWTorch isn't exactly 'digging deep' for information, and even the casual fan that came to watch the Rumble at my house last night - who generally knows nothing about backstage goings on - knew full well of the Nash/Booker appearances.

So in this instance, I think WWE is partly to blame (and possibly the talent involved, too). They did such a great job of concealing Cena's appearance at the 2008 event, so I know they're capable of keeping surprises. Could they not have arranged for Nash and Booker, who were spotted at airports, to have been transported by limo instead? And couldn't they have sworn them to secrecy? I'm sure it's hard to do with wrestlers not under contract, but I'd imagine those involved would be wanting to maintain the surprise element as much as the WWE.

• Paid Members
From a keyfabe perspective at what point are the Rumble participants informed whether or not they'll be in the Rumble and which number they've drawn? Why would Ziggler and Orton ask to be in the Rumble when there's the chance that they might win titles at the PPV anyway? Surely the fact that Edge and Miz didn't enter the Rumble means that they already knew they'd retain and wouldn't need a second chance to get back in the title picture. One can assume that the Rumble contestants and their order of appearance could have been decided mere moments before the Rumble began but that doesn't explain how Booker T and Kevin Nash came to be there, are we supposed to believe that they just happened to be in the area with their ring gear and that someone in the WWE just invited them to participate?

I'd imagine the former is a case of whoever loses the title match goes into the rumble. So if Miz lost the belt, he'd go into the rumble.

Not a clue about the latter.

Archived