Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

I dont watch WWE often and have no idea about Del Rio, thats gotta be the first rumble winner who isnt a long established wrestler right?

Yokozuna

Del Rio is a long established wrestler though. Maybe not in WWE so in that case I'd say Ric Flair too. Yeah, established in NWA. WWE fan's in 91/92 probably cared as much about that as todays fans do about CMLL or AAA etc.

In any case, Del Rio was on RAW and Smackdown each week for bloody ages. Proper obvious result to the rumble.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Maybe not in WWE so in that case I'd say Ric Flair too. Yeah, established in NWA. WWE fan's in 91/92 probably cared as much about that as todays fans do about CMLL or AAA etc.

He was feuding with Roddy Piper, Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan around this period, cost Hogan the World title in late 91, was main eventing most of their house shows, was given a big build up on TV, was firmly established as Bobby Heenan's main man and was one of the favourites to walk out of the Rumble with the WWF title (and did so after 60 minutes in there). The fans totally bought into him as a heel and was firmly established for months as one of WWF's main event players.

• Paid Members
WWE fan's in 91/92 probably cared as much about that as todays fans do about CMLL or AAA etc.

No. Im pretty sure a lot of WWF 91 fans knew what NWA/WCW was.

Stick to the Super Dragon comps. Flair just isnt for you.

I only watched the Rumble match, and I thought it was excellent until Cena arrived and then it went a bit shit, until Diesel showed up and got an inexplicably large reaction, then things got a bit shit again when he was eliminated. Usually a Kevin Nash appearance being a highlight is not a good sign, but I did like it when he put on the black glove. Booker T's return was fun, but would've been better without the absolute spastic on commentary.

Star of the show was CM Punk. I don't know how long he's been this good as an all-rounder, but I thought he was clearly better than everyone else. The stuff with him, Regal and Bryan was really good and the Nexus stuff was very well done. When Cena came in doing his Hulk Hogan thing, we got too much comedy midget shit and it kinda killed the match for me. The lack of reaction for the Orton-Cena staredown was scary. They did it twice, and the crowd didn't care either time.

I only know Alberto Del Rio because Cro Cop nearly kicked his head off a few years back, and for that alone I think he deserved to win.

I really loved this show and glad I ordered it. It's making watch raw and sd this week too! None of the matches were bad at all. I really loved Edge vs Ziggler and the fact that I was very meh about Ziggler and not that bothered by Edge really says something. Loved the ending, anyone but Cena! Plus in fairness having a non main eventer win it was refreshing

I really loved this show and glad I ordered it. It's making watch raw and sd this week too! None of the matches were bad at all. I really loved Edge vs Ziggler and the fact that I was very meh about Ziggler and not that bothered by Edge really says something. Loved the ending, anyone but Cena! Plus in fairness having a non main eventer win it was refreshing

I only watched the Rumble match, and I thought it was excellent until Cena arrived and then it went a bit shit, until Diesel showed up and got an inexplicably large reaction, then things got a bit shit again when he was eliminated. Usually a Kevin Nash appearance being a highlight is not a good sign, but I did like it when he put on the black glove. Booker T's return was fun, but would've been better without the absolute spastic on commentary.

Star of the show was CM Punk. I don't know how long he's been this good as an all-rounder, but I thought he was clearly better than everyone else. The stuff with him, Regal and Bryan was really good and the Nexus stuff was very well done. When Cena came in doing his Hulk Hogan thing, we got too much comedy midget shit and it kinda killed the match for me. The lack of reaction for the Orton-Cena staredown was scary. They did it twice, and the crowd didn't care either time.

I agree with all of this. Cenas superman stuff is boring

I loved the creativity of the Morrison spot, and the first half/two-thirds of the Rumble match was great.

Once Nash (as the last of the surprises) was gone and I realised of the last 10 or so it was going to be Cena, Orton or Del Rio winning I completely lost interest.

I noticed a few interesting people in the crowd at the expense of watching the matches.

The guy in the yellow Royal Rumble t-shirt's reaction behind Michael Cole as he was applauding Miz, and the old guy in the second row with the same happy look on his face throughout the entire Rumble match were the best.

Maybe not in WWE so in that case I'd say Ric Flair too. Yeah, established in NWA. WWE fan's in 91/92 probably cared as much about that as todays fans do about CMLL or AAA etc.

He was feuding with Roddy Piper, Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan around this period, cost Hogan the World title in late 91, was main eventing most of their house shows, was given a big build up on TV, was firmly established as Bobby Heenan's main man and was one of the favourites to walk out of the Rumble with the WWF title (and did so after 60 minutes in there). The fans totally bought into him as a heel and was firmly established for months as one of WWF's main event players.

Yeah, fair points mate.

Whilst Del Rio has probably had more TV time than Flair, he's maybe not mixed it as much with the current main-eventers. Like you said, Flair had cost Hogan the title before the Rumble so was a main-event player.

WWE fan's in 91/92 probably cared as much about that as todays fans do about CMLL or AAA etc.

No. Im pretty sure a lot of WWF 91 fans knew what NWA/WCW was.

Stick to the Super Dragon comps. Flair just isnt for you.

Difference between 'know' and 'care' mate.

• Paid Members
The lack of reaction for the Orton-Cena staredown was scary. They did it twice, and the crowd didn't care either time.

Heh yeah that was funny. Were WWE really expecting a huge 'oh my god, this is like Rock/Austin and Hogan/Warrior!' reaction? If so, they are a it silly. I think WWE fans were really thinking 'Oh god, not these two facing off again. Why is Randy Orton so fucking boring?'

Hopefully this might help them realise that they need to do something with Orton, because he just doesn't work out as a face unless there is a specifically interesting angle going on. And who is surprised- after spending years as a believable heel, why would you want to cheer Orton? What makes fans want Orton to win? Nothing.

It had it's moments, but generally i thought it was a pretty mediocre event

Edge/Ziggler was fine, Orton/Miz not so much, although i don't like either of them, so it was never going to be one i'd enjoy. The ending was pretty neat though.

The Rumble itself was ok to begin with, but got pretty boring in the 2nd half. Was good to see Nash appearing and looking pretty good. Would have liked to see him make an elimination though, or at least hit the jacknife on someone. I Loved that Del Rio won, and the Santino comedy at the end was well done, but the match really dragged in parts. I've no problem with 40 men in principle, but not when the extra 10 are basically made up of a bunch of characterless cookie-cutters, the vast majority of whom wouldn't be anywhere near the roster if they weren't doing all this NXT and 'factions' stuff.

The Morrison spot was pretty jaw dropping, it has to be said. But after he clung to the barrier, would it not have been a bit easier just to step down on one foot and hop back to the ring, rather than all the tightrope walking and huge longjump?

I must add that I don't really watch WWE anymore but even I went "so what" at Orton and Cena face off. Orton is beyond boring and is nowhere even close to Jake Roberts or Steve Austin pre Austin 3:16 (he seems to be a mix of the two but does neither very well). I think they need to turn him back t his arrogant, cocky self and push him int the mid card

I'm probably the only one confused who "They" are in TNA now. I assumed it was Kev, Booker and Sting to help angle out. That's not happening now. Is the Varsity Club doing much these days?

I think it'll end up being Angle, Steiner, Sting, Morgan and Joe. But Nash and Booker were only surprise entrants to the Rumble, surely (unless there are contracts somewhere) there is nothing stopping them going back to TNA?

• Paid Members
I'm probably the only one confused who "They" are in TNA now. I assumed it was Kev, Booker and Sting to help angle out. That's not happening now. Is the Varsity Club doing much these days?

I think it'll end up being Angle, Steiner, Sting, Morgan and Joe. But Nash and Booker were only surprise entrants to the Rumble, surely (unless there are contracts somewhere) there is nothing stopping them going back to TNA?

I doubt Nash and Booker T aren't daft enough to rock that boat, now they are back onside. Cant see it being the last we see of Nash or Booker. Vince has always loved Nash, and if he rehired Mr. Perfect in 2002 because of how in shape he was and the crowd reaction, surely there's enough evidence to bring him back for a bit. And I'm sure WWE have a 30 or 90 clause for these appearances, so nobody fucks them once they appear on TV.

And that stare down with Big Show didn't seem unplanned. Would be a decent (well, that might be a stretch) novelty match. I'd buy it. Cant be worse than Vince vs. Bret. Diesel's got the glove and Big Shows got that knockout punch. A modern day Studd vs Andre might be on the cards there. Also, the timing is perfect for Nash to go in the Hall of Fame.

Archived