Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

• Paid Members

As for keeping the surprise entrants secret, I don't think WWE give much of a fuck about online leaks. They probably figure that the casual fans won't find out and the internet fans are more likely to actually purchase the PPV if they know the likes of Big Sexy will be putting in a 'surprise' appearance. It fucking worked on me. There's certainly no way the leaks would have hurt the buyrate.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the extra 10 men allowed them to play out the angle with New Nexus dominating for an extended period. I don't think they would have been able to kill off so many jobbers in a 30-man Rumble. That angle was actually pretty effective in building up to Cena's entry. Nexus were killing the match dead, so when Cena's music hit, even I wanted to see him kick some ass.

That's the point though. Nexus were being the dominant force that you as a fan want to see toppled, enter Cena to 'save the day'. I wouldn't say it's killing anything, more like telling a story.

• Paid Members
I think the extra 10 men allowed them to play out the angle with New Nexus dominating for an extended period. I don't think they would have been able to kill off so many jobbers in a 30-man Rumble. That angle was actually pretty effective in building up to Cena's entry. Nexus were killing the match dead, so when Cena's music hit, even I wanted to see him kick some ass.

That's the point though. Nexus were being the dominant force that you as a fan want to see toppled, enter Cena to 'save the day'. I wouldn't say it's killing anything, more like telling a story.

Yeah, that's what I said. When I said 'Nexus were killing the match dead', I meant from a storyline perspective.

• Paid Members
People stood out and made numerous eliminations in the 30-man Rumbles too you know. Yes, cutting back the wrong people would've hindered it, but there were easily ten wrestlers who contributed absolutely nothing. The Nexus domination didn't need so many eliminations; quality, over quantity, would've had the same impact (maybe more).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the fact that the match was longer, as it's one of my favourite matches of the year. But they could just have easily told a stronger, more concise story by chopping out some of the deadwood. The Cena/Hornswoggle charade, in particular, didn't need to last for ten minutes.

I personally think that the added 10 allowed a more gradual pace so, for example again, when Cena ran out I was fucking stoked as it meant more due to what had come before it. They could have eliminated bigger names, but then I'd probably care less about Cena as its not a gradual build to him and would make who they threw out look weaker. And if they did then those people wouldn't have been there for something else latter.

I enjoyed the Cena/Hornswoggle bit myself, and I'd imagine I'd think it was awesome if I was in what I'm led to believe is WWE's target audience age.

I get where your coming from but I really don't see the problem with it, It allowed more time and flexibility, it gave more people a showing and felt fun. Personally I doubt the absence of Chris Masters would make it more so.

Yeah, that's what I said. When I said 'Nexus were killing the match dead', I meant from a storyline perspective.

Ah sorry mate, I misread what you meant, I thought you meant in terms of interest.

• Paid Members

People are predicting Cena/Miz and Punk/Orton at Wrestlemania, but given the interactions between Orton/Miz and Cena/Punk on top of the Miz/Cena and Orton/Punk I'm predicting a Miz/Cena/Orton/Punk four-way will close the show, with Cena leaving as WWE champion.

I've got to question what people want when there are comments like 'Worst Rumble since 1995'.

It was brilliant. This time last year I was so disappointed because the 2010 Rumble was shit. Other than the CM Punk stuff there was nothing really to it.

This year was the polar opposite. Definitely one of the best Rumbles they've ever done. Not 1992 obviously, but still really good. The 40 man aspect helped with the pacing as well.

I did fear that Randy Orton might have won, which would have been the second worst possible outcome (worst being a Mysterio win), so was glad to see him eliminated.

On the subject of Orton - he really is dull at the moment. I'm glad the crowd basically ignored the Cena/Orton stuff. William Regal and Ted Dibiase got bigger pops than that.

I'd have liked then to have taken out Orton and Ziggler (neither man really had a 'kayfabe' right to be in the match) as well as some of the jobber fodder like Zack Ryder and Tyler Reks and replaced them with people who would get big pops in the arena, like Jim Duggan or the Honky Tonk Man. Also, it was good to see DH Smith and Darren Young punted from the match.

Really good stuff, and I look forward to RAW.

I like DH Smith but he's essentially done nothing since Kidd's heel turn and (now obviously abandoned) solo push.

Has it ever been explained why Husky Harris and Michael McGillicutty's lineages are never mentioned? The commentators always make a big fuss over second and third generation wrestlers, even that bird who hangs out with Santino is continually referred to as "Superfly's granddaughter", but I've never heard anyone mention the fact that both Harris and McGillicutty's are third generation wrestlers with colourful family historys.

• Paid Members

Randy is pretty boring at the moment, but hopefully a feud with the New Nexus will do him some good. I haven't found his feud with The Miz very engaging at all, possibly because I never really bought into the idea that Miz would drop the title just yet. I just thought the whole feud was predictable from beginning to end. Nexus opens up more possibilities for him, but I just hope they find a way to make it different from the Nexus/Cena programme from last year.

I totally missed Ziggler being eliminated, and when Santino came back in I thought he would eliminate Del Rio, so everyone thought he won, then Ziggler comes back in and wins it. I watched it again this evening and missed Ziggler being eliminated again.

So mental, however it was done, that the record books will show Santino Marella as runner up in the Rumble!!

• Paid Members

Fucking fantastic show. Regarding Santino, I'm glad he didn't win yet gutted for him at the same time. Had he won and been given a fairytale style push, I fear he'd have been forced down our throats a little bit and his recent goodness would've stalled a bit.

I honestly thought it was one of the best Rumbles in years. The whole thing just had a vibe to it that was so much more intrigueing than previous years. I also deliberately didn't look at any spoilers prior to the show, so had no idea about Booker T and Diesel making their appearances. I also genuinely didn't think Del Rio was winning. I thought Punk was in with a shout, then Cena, then when Cena went I was sure it would've been Orton. Ricardo at then end was absolutely mint as well.

• Moderators

I said it last night, and I'll say it now. Tremendous rumble. You had Bryan and Punk in there for while for workrate fans, Hornswoggle for the kids, and Diesel for the older chaps. Wrestling at it's best has someone for everyone. The rumble delivered that in spades.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a fantastic Rumble match too. It told countless stories, was booked at a nice pace, gave them an outstanding new heel, continued the Cena/Nexus and Cena/Miz feuds which gives them two great possibilities for WM. Smackdown was a little short changed in terms of feud progression but Barrett and Del Rio are now more credible heels. The crowd reactions were superb. The pop for Booker was great.

Only a couple of complaints from me. John Morrison's spot was phenomonal but he went out way too early for a babyface of his promise. He should have been in for an hour. Only other thing was the eliminations during entrances. Surely they could pace it so that doesn't happen because it takes the focus off people. Oh, and Barrett spoiling Diesel's snake eyes by throwing silly little punches at him was shit.

Great rumble match though, I loved it.

Archived