The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• Paid Members
Well it's called "IS THE WWE SYSTEM BROKEN? (Yes, here's why)" but it is a multi-issue feature on why wrestling is crap.

I much prefer Ian's version :

Wrestling Is On Its Arse, and Thats Where Its Staying

Anyhoo...

anyway id have kept going but when i moved to where i am now they screwed up my sub, and blamed me. so i dumped them like a pimp to a whore who isnt making the money anymore, and i dont miss it to be honest.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........K.

I've bought powerslam since well, ever and I honestly but it because I l love fin martins rantings. Being a man of 32 now who still loves wrestling, the main thing I love to do in my progressing years is moan and rant and reading a magazine once a month that echoes all my feelings about wrestling today is a pure joy. Yes fin does like to lay into certain people, but he's always done this, anyone remember when he would constantly lay into Brian 'kronik' Adams? I see him as a wrestling critic and read it for that, if wrestling was perfect all the time, well what would we all talk about?

Edited by Phil_version_1

• Paid Members
I've bought powerslam since well, ever and I honestly but it because I l love fin martins rantings. Being a man of 32 now who still loves wrestling, the main thing I love to do in my progressing years is moan and rant and reading a magazine once a month that echoes all my feelings about wrestling today is a pure joy. Yes fin does like to lay into certain people, but he's always done this, anyone remember when he would constantly lay into Brian 'kronik' Adams? I see him as a wrestling critic and read it for that, if wrestling was perfect all the time, well what would we all talk about?

If that's the main reason you buy the magazine, you're mental. If you're happy just reading some miserable bastard's opinions on the state of the business you can read this place for free where smarter 'wrestling critics' than Fin Martin rant and rave about stuff as it happens. That's surely better than paying

• Paid Members
Well it's called "IS THE WWE SYSTEM BROKEN? (Yes, here's why)" but it is a multi-issue feature on why wrestling is crap.

Well this sums up Fin Martin and Powerslam. Completely retarded elitist fuckwits. It's like having a football magazine over here and saying "the Premier League is shit, here's why". It does nothing good for the business. If they really insist on putting over ROH and Japanese wrestling, then surely a better way of doing that is putting over the big league in their magazine, rather than trashing it, and saying "Hey, you might also like this" and then run a feature on ROH/Japan.

Considering at least 90% of wrestling fans in the UK prefer WWE and most don't watch any other wrestling, makes no sense from a business standpoint to rip them apart. If anything, it may put some casual fans off wrestling full-stop rather than make them watch anything Fin-approved rather than WWE.

• Paid Members

Well this sums up Fin Martin and Powerslam. Completely retarded elitist fuckwits. It's like having a football magazine over here and saying "the Premier League is shit, here's why". It does nothing good for the business. If they really insist on putting over ROH and Japanese wrestling, then surely a better way of doing that is putting over the big league in their magazine, rather than trashing it, and saying "Hey, you might also like this" and then run a feature on ROH/Japan.

Considering at least 90% of wrestling fans in the UK prefer WWE and most don't watch any other wrestling, makes no sense from a business standpoint to rip them apart. If anything, it may put some casual fans off wrestling full-stop rather than make them watch anything Fin-approved rather than WWE.

The thing is, criticism is fine, if it's justifiable and constructive. It's what you would expect from a non WWE-affiliated publication. The magazine would be equally worthless if it was blindly praising WWE just to appeal more to the majority of wrestling fans. The problem with PowerSlam is that a lot of Fin's rants are so far wide of the mark that he loses all credibility.

The main problem I have with Power Slam is the blatant ripping of everyone Fin doesn't like.

For instance, John Cena. Fin makes sure that he refers to Cena's STF as the NPSTF (No-Pressure STF), refers to the man himself as Super Cena (due to his poor ring psychology) and, when Cena does offer a fair outing or manages to carry his half in a match, he blatantly receives no credit whatsoever within the hallowed pages of PS. Hogan, The Big Show, Jericho and others have received similar treatment throughout the PS era.

Once is funny, but it's old and boring. You hate Cena, you hate Hogan. etc. We get it.

I bought each and every issue of Power Slam without fail from 139 all the way up until around last christmas. I can honestly thank the magazine for getting me back into wrestling and introducing me to the 'insider' world of wrestling, for lack of a better phrase. I will also say that since I stopped reading the magazine, I have enjoyed watching wrestling a dozen times more than I did before.

However, I can probably say that the same went for the period of time that I didn't read this forum much. That's not a dig, it's just part and parcel of reading a forum such as this.

Wrestling magazines like Power Slam and forums such as this can be a huge asset in helping us remain fans of the industry, though they can also be a detriment.

• Paid Members
The thing is, criticism is fine, if it's justifiable and constructive. It's what you would expect from a non WWE-affiliated publication. The magazine would be equally worthless if it was blindly praising WWE just to appeal more to the majority of wrestling fans. The problem with PowerSlam is that a lot of Fin's rants are so far wide of the mark that he loses all credibility.

Well yes, that's right- Fin's rants hold no water. He whitters on about the likes of Cena like a 20 year old smark that thinks Davey Richards is the best thing around. You have to scratch your head because despite running this magazine, he doesn't fully 'get it'.

However in a time where WWE has such a monopoly over the western wrestling industry, a devoted wrestling magazine would be mad not to put the promotion over. At the moment, WWE IS wrestling. There is no WCW or NWA that Powerslam can divert wrestling fans onto. TNA is still nowhere near, and am I right in thinking Powerslam hate them too anyway?

However in a time where WWE has such a monopoly over the western wrestling industry, a devoted wrestling magazine would be mad not to put the promotion over. At the moment, WWE IS wrestling. There is no WCW or NWA that Powerslam can divert wrestling fans onto. TNA is still nowhere near, and am I right in thinking Powerslam hate them too anyway?

They loved the '05-'06 era if I remember correctly and were delighted when the fans voted TNA the promotion of the year in the year end awards. However I think that his love for the group faded in '08ish and at the point I stopped reading, he wasn't a fan of them at all.

They loved the '05-'06 era if I remember correctly and were delighted when the fans voted TNA the promotion of the year in the year end awards. However I think that his love for the group faded in '08ish and at the point I stopped reading, he wasn't a fan of them at all.

Personally speaking I thought TNA was amazing during the 2005-2006 period of time and wasn't suprised it got promotion of the year over WWE.

I can still remember when fans would do TNA chants at WWE events when WWE was presenting crap like fake Donald Trump vs fake Rosie O' Donnell

But ever since the Russo era onwards and shit like the Last Rites match TNA has been on a steady downward spiral and is turning into a low rent WCW clone.

Can't fault Powerslam on that score personally.

• Paid Members

TNA was rotten from 2002 until the Main Event Mafia formed, and even that angle was flawed because there was no babyfaces for them to go against. Its the best its ever been now, and even thats not perfect. The monthy PPVs were better, but those one hour Impacts where there was about 600 wrestlers in them or the NWA TNA weekly PPVs where Nikita Koloff was headlining was just piss poor. Up until 2010, TNA's production was embarrassing. I remember once where the director missed a dive over the top rope, put the camera on these lads selling and while he was doing that he missed the finish in the ring. WWE in 2002-06 blew TNA away during that period, but it was still typical of Power Slam at the time to go "TNA is brilliant, WWE is shite".

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart