The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Well, my copy of Screamer did arrive (in mint condition I might add). After a few issues with the set up using an MS DOS emulating system, a friend of mine managed to get the game running on my computer.

I'd kind of mentally prepared myself for it not being as good as my rose tinted mind remembered, but was pleasantly surprised, once I got playing...

Yes, it's very simple (almost primitive), but I love that 'pure' arcade feel when you're thrashing around the circuits on mid 90's racers like this. The courses are reasonably interesting, and there's more of them than there were on Sega Rally or Manx TT Superbike for example, which were released around the same time (give or take a year). The little generic instrumental rock soundtrack is also half decent for the time, though the menu screen music can get repetitive quickly. To its credit though, every car feels unique and handles differently from the rest, which does add a layer of depth and re-playability to this colourful little racer.

If you prefer your racing games to be more 'sim' orientated then this probably isn't going to be for you. However, if you like short bursts of simple, fast paced fun, then I'd fully recommend shelling out that one penny to buy this game!

I only loaded it up twice, I think. You can tell that some of the games on there are decent, but they just didn't translate to the PS2 controller.

Agreed.

Am I right in thinking you're based somewhere around the Midlands Surf? I think you'd really enjoy the Retro Gaming convention weekend in Wolverhampton, if so. This year's event was absolutely fantastic. In 2 days I didn't get round to playing everything there. Just endless amounts of fun. They even had a home console Pong machine set up and working that was dated as 1974 (I think, maybe 75). Shed loads of computers / micros and every console you've ever heard of. Not to mention a room jam packed with all kinds of vintage coin op cabinets (set to free play) and even a few token pinball tables.

• Paid Members

I think I'll have to check that out. My soft spot for British seaside towns is largely down to the bags of 10 pence pieces I ravaged through as a teenager, and the lack of proper video games (with joysticks) really gave this years visits a kick in the balls.

• Paid Members
I think I'll have to check that out. My soft spot for British seaside towns is largely down to the bags of 10 pence pieces I ravaged through as a teenager, and the lack of proper video games (with joysticks) really gave this years visits a kick in the balls.

I went to different arcades in Scarbrough depending on the price of the game. Firefox on the harbour was 10p as opposed to 20p near the cable car.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that as Contra, too.

Does anyone else remember tape magazines? Before the internet really existed, you could buy game mags that came on tape and were all digitized - articles, sound clips, screenshots, demos and the like. A really cool, though brief, scene.

• Paid Members

I'll put it out there. I did not rate Turrican or Turrican 2.

I just didn't like them and my mates used to just adore these games. I'd rather have played CJ's Elephant Antics so I could type the infy lives cheat; Hairyarseholes.

Anyone remember this? I only played this again recently. I loved the music in it:

giana3.jpg

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Does anyone else remember tape magazines? Before the internet really existed, you could buy game mags that came on tape and were all digitized - articles, sound clips, screenshots, demos and the like. A really cool, though brief, scene.

That's a scene I've not even heard of, I didn't even think it was possible to have all of those things on a tape.

I remember buying a couple of Spectrum mags with demo tapes, none of which I could get working on my hand-me-down Spectrum. I must've been about seven years old, because I got a Nintendo for Christmas '91 so it would've been before that. I think there was a WWF game with the Nasty Boys on one demo, but I couldn't get it working and was gutted. Then apart from that, the occasional gaming mag that came with a VHS in the SNES and PSX eras. The first experience I had with demos (that worked) was the PSX, and they were a godsend. Every month I'd look so forward to the official mag. Did this come on VHS originally, or on a demo disc?

I think gaming magazines were the only enjoyment I got out of childhood.

large.jpg

I used to always get Super Play too, which always had manga-style covers for RPGs I never played. For a little geeky kid who loved fantasy stories, I never got into the 16-bit RPG scene. Looking back, I can't think why, other than the price of SNES games. I'd get one for Christmas, one for my birthday, and then one or two more throughout the year if Lyndon next door ram-raided Woolies and sold carts for