The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Just googled Amiga, and thats it. By PC I kinda meant that it wasn't a console.

And nice one on Battle Valley, i'm 99% sure that's it, images on google say 1989 which would be about the right year. Its not as good graphics as I seem to remember, but I suppose thats the same with most old games (go Bombjack).

Thanks Richie, is there any easy way you know of that i'd be able to play it? Work interweb won't let me look at any game sites, but i'll have a look myself too.

• Paid Members

Sega Mega CD is awful. I'd avoid it at all costs unless you're into FMV/point and click games. Any actual good games on it such as Sonic CD (which isn't event that good anyway) or Eternal Champions, Final Fight, etc. Will knock you back around

• Paid Members
Just googled Amiga, and thats it. By PC I kinda meant that it wasn't a console.

And nice one on Battle Valley, i'm 99% sure that's it, images on google say 1989 which would be about the right year. Its not as good graphics as I seem to remember, but I suppose thats the same with most old games (go Bombjack).

Thanks Richie, is there any easy way you know of that i'd be able to play it? Work interweb won't let me look at any game sites, but i'll have a look myself too.

Could the game be Sidewinder per chance?

• Paid Members

Just googled Sidewinder and the Battle Valley looks more like it (it was side on, not from above, if the screengrabs I got were of the right game).

But the screen grab of Sidewinder 2 makes me think I have played that too, but maybe on the Speccy, because i'm sure I played that at my house on something.

• Paid Members

BINGO!

I knew the moment I read the post that was it. Very similar to Battle Valley, so easily confused, but thats exactly how I remember.

Thanks muchly!

I had a (sad) nostalgic day yesterday using Google Maps to walk around all my old haunts from the university days in Hartlepool and Middlesborough, and now im feeling the same about the old old days!

• 3 months later...

Pit Pot (1985)

Anyone played this little hidden gem?...

p6.png

Box art and game card from the SEGA Mk. III version

The very brief plot here, from what I can gather, is that a witch has kidnapped the princess and hidden her in a castle. Your aim in this game as the knight in pink and white armour, is to collect various treasures and artefacts from the several rooms in the castle, and eventually use these items to wake up and rescue the sleeping princess. For some reason, as the witch is kidnapping the innocent young royal, she drops a large hammer down to our hero, which you can then use to smash certain baddies you encounter on your journey.

p1-1.png

Intro cutaway sequence, showing the witch, the castle and the player's avatar

The game play is fun, with a mixture of maze, puzzle and

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, there is now a new way to get the MAME emulator running on iOS devices without jailbreaking them.

Download the free app from the app store called Gridlee and also download onto your PC a free program called iFunBox (this allows you to browse through the files on your iOS device which iTunes wont allow you to do).

Plug the iOS device into your computer and in iFunbox browse to the apps section and the Gridlee one, open the documents folder and there is a sub-folder called roms. Copy into this any MAME zip rom files you have and voila, you have MAME running on it.

Just been trying it out on iPad and the few roms I've tried all work well, obvious touch screen control issues aside :)

• Paid Members

Cross post from the main forum because it seems appropriate here: Saw Attack Pro Wrestling again. This time they did a video game themed show, highlights including a Donkey Kong ladder match, a

that was largely worked in side scrolling mode, and a
match where Knuckles provided a silver star, allowing Sonic to speed up his attacks. The heels (including
and a Team Rocket member from Pokemon) did a post match beat down in the main event but somebody made a save and gave the babyface a 1Up card to revive him. There was also a fan fancy dress contest narrowly one by somebody from the Sims over a block from Minecraft.