The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself a brand spanking TV today, and after getting it home, went through a few games consoles to see how it looked, invariably good was the answer. Any how, when trying out my Sega Mega-CD system, I decided to give the crazy full motion video game Mighty Morphin Power Rangers a whirl.

sega-mega-cd-mighty-morphin-power-rangers.jpg

It

• Paid Members

Class write-ups there Rich. I've been massive into Megadrive lately, even going as far as getting a Mega CD (which I've never owned).

Here's a pic from a couple of days ago of what I have so far -

megadrive.jpg

Both the Megadrive 2 and the Mega CD 2 are boxed, with manuals. Almost all my games are too, bar a few which I've since sold on Ebay (Mega Games 1, Chuck Rock, Dynamite Headdy).

I also have these games on their way in the post:

Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkatron

Alisia Dragoon

Super Street Fighter II

James Pond 1 and 2

Altered Beast

Mega Bomberman

Eternal Champions

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Darkside came in the post this morning too. It's still just as hard as the MD one, but has massively improved gameplay, roster, movesets, and graphics. Me and my mate are going to be bossing that for a while. It's a shame the gameplay (while good) isn't up to the standards of Super Street Fighter or Eternal Champions would be easily my top fighting game of all time. It still trounces Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, Clay Fighter, Primal Rage and any other fighter from this era I can think of.

I talk quite often with Patdfb on Facebook about the Mega CD and how disappointed I am with the selection of games primarily being FMV games or trying too hard to look better than it should. It's why I feel a lot of the games don't hold up these days compared to the amount that does on the Megadrive. Stuff like Eternal Champions, Sonic CD and The Terminator all gain from having good graphics but not pushing the limits enough that it looks a bit gash.

I'm not trying to get a full collection though, just games I had as a kid, or games I never got round to playing/never heard of that look good. I've done the same with the Gamecube and SNES, though not to the same extent. My GC collection is pretty cool though so I'll crack that up on here at some point.

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to start slinging some reviews in here of obscurities I find going through MAME. I'm currently going through the list A to Z and have found some outright weird shit but one or two belters.

One particularly good one is Nitro Ball. Like a weird mix of pinball game and horizontally scrolling shoot-em-up on an American football field. Bit hard to make out what's going on occasionally as there is so much happening and the colour scheme is not always great, but it's great fun.

is good fun, too. Not a very good video of it, that, but it's a bit like a cross between Chip's Challenge and Gauntlet. Enjoyed that.

There are others I've forgotten but I'm sure I'll encounter them again when Mrs Small removes the junk from in front of our cabinet. Again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Been thinking about picking up a 2nd hand Dreamcast and PS2 for my new house.

Anyone use either of them on new HDTVs? I'm not expecting it to look fantastic but I just wondered if it's worth it or not? Will it be offputting?

If you can somehow set up the Dreamcast through a VGA box to the TV then it'll look pretty good in 480p, there is also an awkward way to play it upscaled to 1080p.

• Paid Members
On another note, the Metal Gear series is now 25 years old. Christ that makes me feel old.

Indeed. And I don't think I have ever played a single Metal Gear game.

I'm thinking of investing in a PC Engine this month. It's pretty much the only console of that generation we don't have and I always wanted one. Can't find any on eBay bundled with a bunch of games, though.