The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

My main issue with almost every version of Bubble Bobble has been the absolute lack of being able to pop bubbles by jumping into them forwards, and instead you're forced to hit them with your spikes... which are on your back... and you can't run backwards... what the fuck?

The Amstrad version just had you popping them regardless, which I much preferred (seriously, they're dragons, they have claws!) So I have hated every other version of the game I've played because they all just lead to pushing bubbles around endlessly.

Although I don't think it's because Taito put more effort into the Amstrad, I actually think it's possibly because they cared less about it than other systems (it was really only the UK that truly latched onto the Amstrad, other markets had the Spectrum and Commodore, then Amiga and NES), and so what was really a flaw in the programming (at least with Bubble Bobble) became the one thing that set it apart from the rest for me.

I'm with you on SUnshine too, it wasn't that fun, but I think the base story is essentially the same. Would be rather funny if it turned out that the plot designer had recently been playing Skweek prior to making said games plot :D.

And two versions of it would be great... also, if pat likes this one, could this wind up being the one game we all like? Would be funny in that we had to go way back to the Amstrad for the first one :).

• Paid Members
And two versions of it would be great... also, if pat likes this one, could this wind up being the one game we all like? Would be funny in that we had to go way back to the Amstrad for the first one :).

Yeah, I was gonna say! I'm semi-confident about my next two choices though, ditto if I ever go for Rodland.

Skweek:- The Short Short Review

It's shit, play

instead. Similar type of game, shoot blocks puzzle element and so forth.

Oh, you wanted more?

Erm....

Skweek :- The Slightly Longer But Still Incredibly Short Review

Skweek is a game on the Amstrad CPC It is a game that is made by Loriciel and involves your ball of fire changing the colour of squares and shooting things to progress. It's a shit game. Avoid.

Still no good?

Skweek: The Actual Review

Right going back to 1989 is never an easy task, mainly because the Flux Capacitor hasnt been invented yet. Bummer, but what can you do. Anyway after pilining through approximately 73 Amstrad Emulators all of which are in fact shit. Why cant you be like other simulators where you fucking auto load the game once inserted? It's not fucking rocket science is it. Well to Amstrad Emu programmers apparently it is.

Whilst banging my head in frustration trying to get the completely non responsive WinAPE and Arnold to do there thing, I ended up loading

. Now this I remember from the GX4000. playing it on several occasions in Scottish Power, back in the day when people could play these games in the flesh,and the pads werent kept away from the masses. The CPC version seems to be different in so much as the handling is so slow it makes a lump of lard in a freezer have a better turning circle. Still the graphics are nice and it runs at a fair speed so cant fault that un. (transpires this also blights the GX version.. who would have known?)

Back to Skweek, Well when finally sorted out the emulation issues the game finally loaded. What cacophony is this that presents before me? It's in French ( It's by a French programming team you idiot -Ed.) n'est pas un problem par ce que j'ai appris le fran

0/10?! You had a bad day or something?! I mean, I guess it was inevitable someone wasn't going to like it, but 0/10 seems incredibly harsh

I'd rather hike to the artic on Bacon Chops than have to play this again. It's unforgivably rubbish, every single thing grates and irrtates

is better

• Paid Members

Christ pat, I think you let your frustration with getting the emulator running carry over to the game. If they had made the game scroll rather than flip (well, it's Amtrad, it wouldn't have happened anyway, but if they did) it would have lost some of it's charm. And controls like a tank? Perhaps your computer just didn't like the emulator, because he stops in a split second for me.

And yeah, the rom is french, and lots of people believe it was only released in France. 'tis false, it was released in the UK as I had an English copy, it's just no bugger ever bothered converting that to an emulator.

I can understand not liking it, as we're not all going to like the same stuff... but 0/10 is ridiculously harsh on it.

Incidently... Anarchy was much better on the Amstrad again (seriously, those Spectrum graphics look like someone threw up on the screen and went "y'know, that looks good"), and even then, it controlled worse than skweek, and was, in general, annoying to play. Not that I'd give Anarcy 0/10, mabe 4/10 because it was a little fun when playing two player with my Mum way back.

• Paid Members

It's such a stark contrast - two of us really enjoyed it, the other hated it. I can understand why someone would dislike it based on your issues with the game, I really can, but to not score it at all? I think that's the lowest score any game has received since we started this thread. I'm genuinely stunned.

Don't want to dig my own grave here, but get playing Simon the Sorcerer 2 guys, I'm feeling pretty confident about it...

:/

Christ pat, I think you let your frustration with getting the emulator running carry over to the game. If they had made the game scroll rather than flip (well, it's Amtrad, it wouldn't have happened anyway, but if they did) it would have lost some of it's charm. And controls like a tank? Perhaps your computer just didn't like the emulator, because he stops in a split second for me.

And yeah, the rom is french, and lots of people believe it was only released in France. 'tis false, it was released in the UK as I had an English copy, it's just no bugger ever bothered converting that to an emulator.

I can understand not liking it, as we're not all going to like the same stuff... but 0/10 is ridiculously harsh on it.

Incidently... Anarchy was much better on the Amstrad again (seriously, those Spectrum graphics look like someone threw up on the screen and went "y'know, that looks good"), and even then, it controlled worse than skweek, and was, in general, annoying to play. Not that I'd give Anarcy 0/10, mabe 4/10 because it was a little fun when playing two player with my Mum way back.

It wasnt the emulator problems that were an issue with the game, heck I even gave a positve review to Burnin' Rubber half way through :D its that its genuinely shit.

I know it was french, was taking the piss hence, the french included in the review.

How is 0/10 for game which is complete and utter garbage being harsh? It has nothing going for it whatsoever. there is nothing that redeems it. it really is one of the worst games Ive ever played and Ive played some stinkers.. Heck even Jet Ion GP has some charm on the PS2.

Anarchy is much better game than Skweek, even then its probably only a 5/10 game at best but its not as bad and therefore worthy of recommending over Skweek

Infact here is my mini review from The Retro League

Anarchy (Spectrum)- 5/10

It was alright. Might induce epilepsy though with those colours.

It's such a stark contrast - two of us really enjoyed it, the other hated it. I can understand why someone would dislike it based on your issues with the game, I really can, but to not score it at all? I think that's the lowest score any game has received since we started this thread. I'm genuinely stunned.

Don't want to dig my own grave here, but get playing Simon the Sorcerer 2 guys, I'm feeling pretty confident about it...

:/

Yeah, see above I cant score a game that I know to be utter and complete rubbish.

• Paid Members

Seems like we have stark contrasts on what we enjoy in a game, what with Pirates! Gold being dull as fuck to me, and you not liking Skweek at all.

I doubt we'll ever get a game all three of us score well.

And I still count Skweek in my top 10 games of all time, so there :p

Seems like we have stark contrasts on what we enjoy in a game, what with Pirates! Gold being dull as fuck to me, and you not liking Skweek at all.

Im sure we will all agree on one game it will be one none of us expect and will shock the foundations of the universe. Ill bet it will

• Paid Members

We will eventually!

I'm actually really surprised you scored it so low, Pat. But even if Simon The Sorcerer 2 doesn't work out for me then if we eventually play Rodlands I think we'll all enjoy that. Sonic Triple Trouble has potential, but I could see some people scoring it with an average mark. We'll see...

• Paid Members

I guess I should also add another game to the melting pot.

So... to that end, how's about some Clock Tower on the SNES?

It's a Japanese only game... but thankfully I have a version which has been edited into English, so we can play even if we can't read Japanese :D

(And I bet some bastard doesn't like it, despite it being scarier than a lot of more recent games :p)

I guess I should also add another game to the melting pot.

So... to that end, how's about some Clock Tower on the SNES?

It's a Japanese only game... but thankfully I have a version which has been edited into English, so we can play even if we can't read Japanese :D

(And I bet some bastard doesn't like it, despite it being scarier than a lot of more recent games :p)

Added