The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Right will update this properly later for everyone who is wondering

For Chuck Rock II? I'll look forward to seeing what people think of the game, I still love it.

Yup Yup!

New week is in effect see 1st posts for differences fir the week

Ill be playing the Mega CD version natively. :p

Also added some idea of who has nominated what game to keep track

Please feel free to direct others to this thread :thumbsup:

Cheers

You could maybe PM a few people who were interested in the thread initially if you want. Triple A might be a good bet, I've always thought his reviews were entertaining.

Anyway, I'll post my review shortly!

Already done last week, him, CVD and a few others who'd shown interest when setting up were PM'd nowt thus far :(

• Paid Members

Anyway.

Chuck Rock II (Amiga)

I absolutely love this game, and I'm really surprised to see the average-scored reviews it was given at the time.

Everything about it makes me smile, the animation, the silly-but-funny storyline, the enemies, the music...

First of all, revisiting the game it wasn't as slow as I worried it might be. Sure it was no Sonic or Mario, but the general pace of the game doesn't detract from the gameplay. That's been a recurring theme of games over the past few weeks I've found.

Chuck Rock Jr is a fun character to play, and the world he lives in is equally fun and colourful. The enemies he faces are all imaginative and fun, and although the game is challenging and your primary weapon is a club I don't find the potential short range of attack an obstacle to enjoyment.

Musically the game is superb, it's not irritating, it doesn't try to be "wacky" as oh-so-many games we've visited over the past few weeks made the mistake of doing. The tunes to the game are indicative of everything right musically in the 16-bit era. After completing the game the final song gets you feeling suitably emotive - as if you've actually achieved something. And do you know what, you have. Some of the bosses are pretty solid - particularly Ozric the Octopus. It took me a while to figure out how to beat him, and even when I had I found him difficult.

The mindless sculpting minigames in between levels are great fun too. They don't require any real thinking, just mindless button mashing and speed. They get the adrenaline flowing as you desperately try to get that last piece of rock off to beat the timer. I enjoyed the "apple feeding" mini game too, and although the humour behind it was probably a little puerile I still laughed, such is the quality of the animation.

Maybe I'm being too nostalgic, I don't know. But I think this game is criminally underrated. I think it's one of the best platformers of the 16 bit era - certainly one of the best on the Amiga, I can't comment on the other versions having not played them.

I hope everyone else gets the same enjoyment from the game as me, but time will tell I suppose.

9/10

• Paid Members

Not sure if it's the difference in game systems Ron... but you might not like my review so much, lol, so that being said....

Chuck Rock 2: Son Of Chuck. On the Megadrive.

I'll be straight and blunt to open with... that was shit.

Right from the word go it felt like a horrible game. Graphically it looks great, musically it fits well (though did feel a little Toe Jam & Earl Panic On Funkatron in sound at times). But the gameplay... holy shit is the gameplay terrible.

First, we have a milk bottle as our health bar, that's fine, that's all good. But it runs out damned quick when you hit spikey areas that you can't get past without taking damage. Turns out there's rocks you need to whack with your club to move into position so you can get past.

Then you can apparently ride animals, which I only found out on the second attempt (like the blocks) because it's not made obvious that the A button does that, why have him stand on his damned club if pressing it does nothing at that moment? Gah!

The bosses, they turn up whenever they seem to feel like it, there's no real set layout for the game, and it just feels like it's whatever they threw in at whatever point. It begins like most games, level 1, level 2 with a boss, fair enough, so I'm expecting level 3 then a level 4 with a boss... oh don't be so stupid.

Level 3 has a boss, then there's about 3 without a boss, then you hit some stupid tentacled thing that you can't defeat without a walkthrough at which point I said "fuck this" and turned it off.

I mean really, who the hell designed this game? There's no rhyme nor reason for anything that I was doing, and who the hell thought bunging venus fly traps in that throw you in the air was a good thing? I avoided the first bunch because I thought they would be a problem, turns out I had to jump in one as I reached a dead end, and lo-and-behold, I'm catapulted into the air... who knew Venus fly traps were actually natures baby launchers?

And then there's the god awful "lead the monkey over to the ostrich that actually looks like a skeleton in bandages" stuff... that was pure guess work. I hadn't been able to stand on those monkeys before now, so why should I think I can suddenly do so now? In fact, getting the banana to him and him jumping off, I STILL couldn't stand on him, so why can I suddenly do so once he's under the ostrich?

And then we have the ostrich and... whatever the fuck that was in level 2. I sort of got the feel that these things were shoehorned in there for no real reason, especially when at the end of level 2 and you have to jump off that fat thing, it's right over spikes and you have to drop in to them to move on... thankfully the programmers fucked up there as well and those spikes aren't dangerous.

Oh... and the bird... that fucking level 3 bird, that flies down, gives you no information as to what you're meant to do (apparently you jump on it's claw... thanks game), first time I did it I stayed on the dinosaur swinging my club at the bird... bird fucks off and the screen follows it and I'm dead... what?

So next time I jump on the claw, the bird flies up for about 2 seconds, then drops down... BACK ON THE FUCKING DINOSAUR! What the hell was the point? Why was the moron who, in the meeting said "Why don't we make the player jump on a birds claw for no reason, lift them up for a couple of seconds, then drop them back down right where they already were" not fired for being an obvious idiot? From the looks of the game they were likely the one in charge of the damned project.

All in all, the graphics and music of the game are good, it's bright, it's lively, and it looks very very fun. Unfortunately it all goes down hill the second you begin the game, and never does it once pick up again, and because the gameplay is what counts most in a game... I'll give it a 2/10.

1 point for actually turning up to make the game, and another point for the graphics designer who deserved to be making a better game.

• Paid Members
All in all, the graphics and music of the game are good, it's bright, it's lively, and it looks very very fun. Unfortunately it all goes down hill the second you begin the game, and never does it once pick up again, and because the gameplay is what counts most in a game... I'll give it a 2/10.

TWO out of ten?! I'm really surprised at that...I was expecting average scores at worst. I've never played the Mega Drive version so unfortunately I can't really say whether it's a difference in system or simply a difference in opinion.

The next game that I've nominated should go down better though. Simon The Sorcerer II is a game I would imagine/hope will be enjoyed by the majority.

After that I'm planning to nominate either Wiz N' Liz, Megaman II, Another World, Sonic Triple Trouble, Project X or James Pond: Robocod. Choices!

• Paid Members

It may just be a case of the system, I may nab the Amiga version later and see how that is as a comparison, but unless the actual games are exceptionally different in regards to the levels themselves, I doubt I'll find much difference in them.

As for your nominations... not tried Simon The Sorcerer at all, though have meant to do so before, Wiz N Liz I used to love, but found less love for it when I tried it a while back, Never got into the Megaman games at all, Another World is good, but too precision happy (like Flashback but not so good I felt), Not played the next two, and James Pond I loved when I was in school, but when I've tried it on an emulator since I just didn't care after 5 minutes, but that may change if I gave any of them a serious play for this.

• Paid Members

The only management game I've enjoyed (bar TEW and EWR stuff) was Premier Manager 98 on the PS1. Not being a football fan they rarely, if ever, interest me, but that one was dumbed down enough that I could enjoy it a little, though even then, only really because I'd head next door and have a laugh and piss about while playing it with the guy there.

Though don't let that put you off, I feel I'm trying to nip your ideas in the bud before they've come up XD.

• Paid Members
You could maybe PM a few people who were interested in the thread initially if you want. Triple A might be a good bet, I've always thought his reviews were entertaining.

Already done last week, him, CVD and a few others who'd shown interest when setting up were PM'd nowt thus far :(

Sorry man! :/

I'll give this one a shot.

• Paid Members

Sorry man! :/

I'll give this one a shot.

Ah, good stuff. Great to have you back - your reviews are always highlights of the forum.

Though don't let that put you off, I feel I'm trying to nip your ideas in the bud before they've come up XD.

Hahaha, I think we probably have a completely different taste in games...

I'm going to try and go for a genre we haven't encountered yet, so I may actually wind up with an RPG of some sort. Maybe Final Fantasy V (which always seems to slip under the 'great games' radar) or even something like Paper Mario on the N64, though that's a little bit more recent. I shall mull things over Mike, find something to meet your high standards! ;)

• Paid Members

Chuck Rock II - Son of Chuck (Sega CD Version)

Chuck_Rock_2_Son_of_Chuck_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

I came into this game with a mix of expectations. Judging by Chuck Rock 1, I was expecting mind-blowing theme music from an ensemble of hard-rocking dinosaurs, and I was expecting really shite gameplay. Lucky for me (I guess) one of my wishes came true.

The game opens with a Cartoon Network-esque video showing what happened between the previous game and this one. For those without the Sega CD version i'm not sure what you'll get, but you're missing out. As rubbish as the actual story is, this cutscene is quite funny. I won't go into massive detail, but the part where they throw a ransom note carved in stone through the window still attached to a brick is a highlight.

The jist of it is that Chuck finished the last game by smashing up the "humourously" named bad guy Gary Gritter and then started up a car showroom. He invented the first ever car out of stone and started a family. A rival of his became jealous and after realising he couldn't match Chuck's quality, he kidnaps him to steal his secrets. Pathetic.

For those who don't get that part, you'll most likely be greeted by the underwhelming title screen. No badass dinosaurs on bass, no eardrum popping rock music, just some thudding noise and generic screeching.

---

Chuck Rock I theme

Chuck Rock II theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW9yTAZYNro

---

I managed to reach up to around the 9th level (the darkness one) and as a platform game, all the required tools are here. The only problem it seems is that all the tools are broken, my wish came true. Shite gameplay ahoy!.

It controls slowly and clunkily, each swing of your club taking around 20 minutes to reach it's desired target. You have buttons that don't even do anything, an example being that A makes you stand on top of your club - not once did I ever need to do this. You jump like you've got a gimp leg, and you can't even run despite quite a lot of spike pits or holes needing you to get at least a jog on.

The game seems to look good from afar, but if you just stop for a second and take a look at your surroundings you'll see that Chuck Rock 1 actually looked better.

The music is forgettable from the second you hear it, even the music from the lava level which at the time of playing I thought "well this isn't too bad" i've already forgotten.

chuck-rock-2.png

The levels for the most part are actually quite enjoyable, though there are a few omissions such as the previously mentioned giant bird part in which you have to just figure out that he doesn't damage you despite him appearing amongst the swarm of enemies, and the darkness level I finally met my maker on which were quite rubbish.

A standout level would be the waterslide one which is set out like a stone-age water park full of literal log flumes and waterfalls. The rest are "meh".

You can summon the help of animals you find laying around in a similar manner to the far superious DKC series. The similarities smack you in the face when you realise you're sprinting about on a ostrich. Of course, due to the button to climb on animals being the same as the button to stand aimlessly on top of your club, it wasn't until around the 5th level I managed to successfully mount anything.

The boss fights are awkward and complete guess-work. The first 2 are variations of the same thing. A head on a long neck making the exact same "RAWR" noise and lunging at you. Easy enough to beat, except the horrid hit detection meant if I swang my club and actually hit him, sometimes i'd swing too far into him meaning he touched my arm and it hurt me. Terrible.

The 3rd boss was a giant octopus that spits little men at you. I lost 4 lives before I realised you have to hit them back in the 0.05 seconds it gives you to do so. Luckily I got game over before I reached the 4th boss and slit my own throat.

2d1pgcg.png

The game seems to lack any sort of uniqueness and feels bland from start to finish. I'd rate it higher but when the sequel - despite fixing the things the previous installment suffered from such as a rubbish attack and boring levels - isn't it as good as the last one before it, then it really is a sign that somewhere, something went balls up. Awkward boss fights don't help either.

Platform games shouldn't feel like a chore. This does.

Graphics - 6

Sound - 3

Controls - 7

Gameplay - 7

Overall - 5

Also, his face in the corner is terrifying.

Edited by TripleA

All I'm going to say regarding newer consoles and new(er) computers etc is make sure that anything that you nominate adheres to rule 4 of the original thread as it hasnt been changed afaik

4. Any games must be easily playable, and emulatable but not necessarily the first thing that people would have in mind when it comes to that system, games fom any system up to but not including N64, Playstation (unless there is a concensus or can be played on original hardware) or M.A.M.E

It is up for discussion, but some people may not have a 3d card, so will have to play it natively ( if not uber expensive or rare) others might not have the processing power/graphics/os for a PC based one ( PS1, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast Emus for example) or issues with DOS Box (for an old PC games)

I dont want to put people off nominating games, but I dont want to exclude people from playing them on the grounds they dont have the kit either either.

So any suggestions are welcome