The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Good to have you back, Mike! I always enjoy your reviews. It'd be nice to have Triple A back too, he's also a good read. Go for it with the Amstrad game, it's fun to have a variety - that's why I like the idea of this thread, I've not played the majority of games suggested so far, I've not played Claymates either so I'm looking forward to giving that a go. From the videos I've looked at on Youtube it certainly looks different.

What Amstrad game are you thinking about, anyway?

• Paid Members
I'll shove a link in my sig for what little difference it makes. Hopefully it's just the quality of games over the past two weeks that has killed the thread a little. With the help of a few big guns things will hopefully kick off again. Mike nominated Claymates, so touch wood he'll be back about when that game is to be played.

Superb, I could put my r3paly review in here if people were interested?

Oh, and yeah - I'd be interested.

Oh, and yeah - I'd be interested.

So cut and paster from where ever Ive linked and posted it

R3play: The short short version

Prologue: Friday Night Preston

Wetherspoons, with Resident Paul and Woody. Cool. Chewing the fat over a few brewskis or 10 was a good start and meant that I finally met people from forum's in real life. Was cut short by the need to set up and do some testing in Blackpool. Plus the time expired on Woody's car so a quick dash to sort it and get going before some zealous Preston clampers got hold of it!

So far so pub like.and I must state again that that me fit mate hadnt seen us in a while :p

Day 1 Act 1: The Preston Zone.

So anticipation is high, and I get up ready and corseted up, stick ready to the brave wide world of er, Preston Train Station. Nice day so ambled to the station in a record time of about zillion years with plenty of rest stops on the way. Irn-bru was much needed when I got to the train station and brought ticket to Blackpool North for the amazing sum of 6.80 ( i remember when it was only a few quid, robbing sods!)

So off to Blackpool we went on the slowest train in the history of the universe. No really , I saw sheep out running it at one point. This is not such a good sign

Day 1 Act 2: Blackpool North

Finally pulled in at the train station 29 minutes later after stopping at the delights of Kirkham and Wesham and Poulton Le Fylde, to pick up and set down no one. Once disembarked I was presented by ticketing barriers straight of out the Tube, with one minor exception. they don

• Paid Members
Good to have you back, Mike! I always enjoy your reviews. It'd be nice to have Triple A back too, he's also a good read. Go for it with the Amstrad game, it's fun to have a variety - that's why I like the idea of this thread, I've not played the majority of games suggested so far, I've not played Claymates either so I'm looking forward to giving that a go. From the videos I've looked at on Youtube it certainly looks different.

What Amstrad game are you thinking about, anyway?

Claymates is awesome, but it's a strange one, and can be very samey at times too. But I wont say too much about it because it's worth leaving that for the actual review.

Amstrad game wise... well Skweek of course! It's my favourite Amstrad game period. I may be biased as I spent absolutely hours playing it with my Mum when I was younger, but it really is great. However it would need to be the Amstrad version purely because the various versions differed so much (one of them even had a horizontal scrolling set-up rather than vertical), but if anyone needs it I can easily send the Emulator and rom of the game out to make running it easy enough.

• Paid Members
Amstrad game wise... well Skweek of course! It's my favourite Amstrad game period. I may be biased as I spent absolutely hours playing it with my Mum when I was younger, but it really is great. However it would need to be the Amstrad version purely because the various versions differed so much (one of them even had a horizontal scrolling set-up rather than vertical), but if anyone needs it I can easily send the Emulator and rom of the game out to make running it easy enough.

Skweek...wasn't that also an Amiga game?

Also, cheers for the post, Pat. It sounds absolutely awesome and although I enjoyed reading what you wrote I also read further and further with a sense of bitte resentment ;)

• Paid Members

Skweek was on the Amiga too, and looking at the longplay on youtube of it... was worse than the Amstrad version, and considerably different enough that while the layout is the same, one enemy looks totally different and moves totally different as well. The sounds are god awful on there (and in some cases added needlessly).

I would strongly suggest going solely for the Amstrad version once we get to it because that is the best version I've seen of it (similar to Bubble Bobble actually, if you want a truly great version of it, play the Amstrad version, none of the other versions hold a candle to it). The only thing I can see if does better is the screen scrolls (the Amstrad has multiple screens that it flips through). But yeah... I wont say too much for fear of reviewing it early XD.

• Paid Members
Skweek was on the Amiga too, and looking at the longplay on youtube of it... was worse than the Amstrad version, and considerably different enough that while the layout is the same, one enemy looks totally different and moves totally different as well. The sounds are god awful on there (and in some cases added needlessly).

I would strongly suggest going solely for the Amstrad version once we get to it because that is the best version I've seen of it (similar to Bubble Bobble actually, if you want a truly great version of it, play the Amstrad version, none of the other versions hold a candle to it). The only thing I can see if does better is the screen scrolls (the Amstrad has multiple screens that it flips through). But yeah... I wont say too much for fear of reviewing it early XD.

It's good you say that, because I didn't really like the Amiga game. Didn't want to put you off your choice though, I like the idea of variety platform wise. I have an obscure but brilliant game in mind for a later inspection, have either of you played Rodlands? It's a great little game that has shamefully gone unremembered by most. It's aged well too.

I agree with your review, Pat, though the score's a bit harsh. I found it playable, just tedious. I never noticed the flawed mechanics of it, so I wonder if that was an emulation thing or if I just missed that? Difficulty wise I think a SNES pad makes the world of difference. You need to be exceptionally patient to slog right through it though.

It's good you say that, because I didn't really like the Amiga game. Didn't want to put you off your choice though, I like the idea of variety platform wise. I have an obscure but brilliant game in mind for a later inspection, have either of you played Rodlands? It's a great little game that has shamefully gone unremembered by most. It's aged well too.

I agree with your review, Pat, though the score's a bit harsh. I found it playable, just tedious. I never noticed the flawed mechanics of it, so I wonder if that was an emulation thing or if I just missed that? Difficulty wise I think a SNES pad makes the world of difference. You need to be exceptionally patient to slog right through it though.

Rodland is fucking fantastic. Loved it since a The One for The ST demo in 1991 aced the arcade game as part of the Retroleague some time ago.

I was harsh with the score because Batman is sooo disappointing its like playing A N Other Snes Beat em up even down to the same repetativeness. Was playing with a USb pad with shoulder buttons set out like a Snes pad. still didnt work. Id wager that even Final Fight isnt the greatest conversion, but then Ive been spoiled with the Mega CD version. point is though it has potential, it just hoists itself by its own petard and wrecks it all, great to look at horrible to play

Skweek is something Ive seen but never played.

What're you going to nominate next, Pat? We're sadly lacking a nomination from you right now, and I'm interested to see what you pick for us!

Dunno yet. am thinking.. It will probably be something very odd though as have been doing some retro league nominations recently but I have a back up plan

Thought!

I was going to go horrendously Old School with a C16+4 game! but decided against it and contemplated a few other older games as well. Instead Iam going for Fever Pitch Soccer- Megadrive

Will update the list accordingly and games for the week as well