The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Apologies for not getting the previous review up, but here's one for Claymates :).

Rightyho, Claymates it is.

Nice bouncy intro music as the lead character walks across the screen with all the various characters you can become following along behind him.

Basic intro plot, big tribal guy steals the serum Clayton's father has made, and his father to boot, while turning him into a round blob of clay. How's that for fair trade?

Then it's onto the game and we have a bit of a top down affair (Which I shall return to later) before entering the first level "Clayton's Yard", now... pardon me going off track a minute here, but that was a long walk between those fences to get to the yard. Who the hell was in charge of planning on that build?

So, first level and the first character you get to be is the mouse. Which admittedly is great for charging fast and kickstarting the game with that underground section, but is less great when it comes to the more careful positioning if you want to jump on platforms as he is a bit control sensitive.

Thankfully you get to drop him off soon enough for the cat who is much more movement friendly. However a little later if you wind up taking the balloon to the top of the screen you can become the duck, do not do this, the duck is shit. (The green ball is the duck) his ability is to fly, for about three flaps and then he plummets like he's a lemming, and his jumping is poor too.

You do get to be one of the better characters in the game near the end of the level (which, if you go back you can use to dig underground to get to a free life, always nice), and that's the Gopher, his jumping is about average, however he moves at the right pace and while most characters when you fire are very weak (mouse sort of barks, cat claws, duck pecks, fish sort of barks again), the gopher throws nuts which bounce along for a little way, allowing you to take out enemies much much easier.

Now I've discussed the characters, onto the main thing, the gameplay.

It's easy to pick up, ridiculously easy in fact, you have jump and fire. You want to run? Hold down fire, you want to drop through thin platforms (or even dig with the gopher)? Hold down and press jump, it's simple.

The variety of characters you can become keeps the game interesting too, although it does tend to mean that one second you're quite happily barrelling through the level as a mouse, and can wind up suddenly waddling along as a duck without meaning to.

Plus, defeating enemies to get by can be a chore without either the extra ball floating around your head or the gopher, thanks to the ridiculously short range of the attacks. This is made worse if the enemy takes two hits to defeat as you can be killed quite easily if you're stuck as the clay ball), or is one of those damned snails thanks to the shell flying off in your direction.

But as a whole they don't really make the game unfun, just a bit frustrating at times, and that's not necessarily a bad thing as without those the game would likely be a walk in the park.

The graphics are solid for a SNES game, I honestly can't fault them at all, the music as well is lively and upbeat, which goes perfectly with the game.

At the end of each level, if you've collected enough gems you can get a bonus stage, which begins as a nice simple bounce on the coloured squares game, which picks up speed the further it gets on. If you're lucky the final 4 squares will be right beside each other. If you're extremely unlucky they'll be in all four corners and you're now guessing which one the next lit up one will be (as with it speeding up you don't have time to check before you're dropping again). But complete it well and you get yourself a nice free life.

After that it's onto the next... hang on, back to the overview screen and we have a puzzle.

Now I have to be honest, this is, in my eyes, what lets the game down. I like a puzzle at the best of times, but this is bad for two reasons:

1 - If you don't like completing puzzles (especially ones like this) you can wind up disliking the game before it's truly begun, and later in the game you may just give up in frustration because of the puzzles, and not because of the toughness of the main game.

2 - It pulls you back away from the main portion of the game. Can you imagine if you were playing, say, Super Mario World, and before every level you had to play a puzzle game just to get to the next level? It sucks the thrill of the game away.

Of course, in this day and age anyone who's stuck on it can hop online and just get the information to get by it from GameFAQs.

As a whole the game is solid, and is great fun to play, and the only things that lose it points are the puzzles and the poor attack mechanism for all but one of the character.

So my verdict is a nice respectable 7/10

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a serum and a father to rescue.

• Paid Members

Good to have you back, Mike. You didn't miss much as far as Batman Returns goes. The person who nominated it didn't even feel the need to review it - that's how shit the game is.

Anyway, Claymates. I think Mike got it pretty much spot on with his review.

I actually enjoyed the game. It's well paced, it's fun and it's a great concept that I'd like to see revisited. Storyline wise it's silly, but that doesn't really matter. I play platformers for the fun, not for an engrossing narrative.

My first impressions of the game, I'll admit, were bad. The "wacky" music reminded me of Tiny Toons, and the short range of the attacks - as Mike previously mentioned - made me think that I wasn't going to enjoy the game.

However, I persisted and I suggest you do too if you feel similarly. The game actually is fun. It's challenging - but not cripplingly so - and very original.

Mike didn't like the puzzle sections, but I actually didn't mind them. I can see why people would have a problem with it but I appreciate the fact the developers tried something different. OK, it's probably not what you'll have bought the game for, I can accept that, but it's far from a game breaker.

I've mentioned it before, but the game's biggest problem is the method of attack. It just gets frustrating at times.

But would that stop me recommending it? Absolutely not. I don't know if it's available on the Virtual Console, but if it is I'd say go for it.

Score: 7/10

• Paid Members
Mike didn't like the puzzle sections, but I actually didn't mind them. I can see why people would have a problem with it but I appreciate the fact the developers tried something different. OK, it's probably not what you'll have bought the game for, I can accept that, but it's far from a game breaker.

That's pretty much my issue with it, when I play the game I want to play the platforming section. I can do the puzzle stuff easy enough, I just feel jumping between platformer, then puzzle all the time draws you away from the game rather than into it. I could perhaps see having a puzzle in between different worlds, but between every level is a bit much. But yeah, solid game beyond that :)

• Paid Members
Good to have you back, Mike. You didn't miss much as far as Batman Returns goes. The person who nominated it didn't even feel the need to review it - that's how shit the game is.

Er, it was me, and I did review it :confused::duh:

Ooops! I thought it was someone else. I thought you'd nominated Robocop Vs. Terminator, but obviously I got confused!

That's pretty much my issue with it, when I play the game I want to play the platforming section. I can do the puzzle stuff easy enough, I just feel jumping between platformer, then puzzle all the time draws you away from the game rather than into it. I could perhaps see having a puzzle in between different worlds, but between every level is a bit much. But yeah, solid game beyond that

I totally see why you'd dislike it. I found it kind of helpful when it came to completing the game - it split things up so that I didn't have to keep up any momentum and maintain a certain level of skill. Every level seemed like a fresh challenge, rather than a continuing one, if that makes sense.

However, they could work differently for some people in that the puzzles completely destroy a players momentum and make the levels harder to complete.

Ooops! I thought it was someone else. I thought you'd nominated Robocop Vs. Terminator, but obviously I got confused!

Cleetus Van Damme Nommed RvsT, but hasnt been back to thread.

Still 3 of us is good right?

Will be playing this at some point tomorrow I expect.

Edited by patdfb

Ive got a quick 5 minutes and a brew. So it must be time for another review

Well this weeks game is Claymates, or as I like to call it 'Rolo to the Rescue' as the games are very, very similar.

So the games the similarities are:-

Platformer, check

Player can be multiple characters each with their own special abilities, check See how close Rolo's are to Claymates

Rolo:-

There are four types of animals with different special skills. The mole can dig through wall, the rabbit jumps high in the air, the beaver can swim over water obstacles and the squirrel can climb walls. By rescuing an animal the animal joins Rolo's group. If Rolo or any of the other animals is hit by an enemy, the player loses one of the animals in the group. The player can also leave an animal out from the group to make room for another.

Claymates:-

Rat- Speed+bark,

Cat-Climbing

Dodo- Fly ( badly) its a flightless bird :thumbsup:

Gopher- Digs

Cutesy, check

Multiple levels with some puzzle elements thrown in, check.

Annoying music, check

Similar graphical effects applied on the title screen, check.

Here's a comparison of the two games.

Claymates

Rolo to the Rescue

So far so yukky.

To be honest if you booted up Claymates the attract sequence is impressive and it being Interplay its all well done, Its aimed as being a Sonic beater (Blaze Motion allowing the rat speed as opposed to Blast Motion for Sonic) and the Claymation digital effects are whats trying to sell it.

The game has some sub Chips Challenge puzzle bits leading into a platform segment that immediately reminded me of Rolo to the Rescue hence the comparison ( though Rolo's is more Mario like, it isnt massively different). In the game you are supposedly trying to rescue some dude, who has found the secret to meshing clay and people. Its either your dad or some generic mad scientist dude, I cant remember. No, I dont want to remember. Like Nick Ross always says 'Dont Have Nightmares', so to avoid them I wont remember.

Anyhoo, this dude has been like, totally kidnapped by some Voodoo mask wearing badnik who has turned you into a blob of clay, with a concious. Now I don't know about you, but if Id been turned into a blob of clay I'd be pretty fucking pissed off and might get really angry and smash shit up. Clayton, for that is your name in this (how very hilarious, not) instead ignores the mutation pretty much and pops out into his seemingly never ending and connected to other peoples back yard in order to rescue, the dude. All this whilst completely oblivious to the fact that you know if he doesn't keep himself away from the sun and wet he will dry out and will be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The first thing Clayton has an option to do after stepping into some gnarly worm hole to enter the level is to become a rat.. Yes, circular blob to rat, bloody amazing that, with legs and everything. If Clayton wasn't well adjusted before he is going to have problems for life now. The rat barks as well. Do rats bark? and if so who wins in competitions with small 'yappy' dogs? Is there anywhere these competitions can be viewed online? Might be worth a watch.

This rat (actually a mouse called 'Oozy' (Yeah, who knew right first name that came in my head too?)) is a speedy lil 'so and so' and tears up the level collecting multi coloured diamonds. for what purpose remains unclear. I played this without instructions and in game gave no clue as to why you were collecting them. So like a good 'un I assumed meant extra life after 100 or something. Turns out its for score and a bonus at the end of a level. You can go underground and jump on tree branches and even ride on clouds as well as moving platforms as well as get bonuses to help you to the next level, that isnt anywhere near anything in terms of driving the plot on. Even Plok had some silly plot device about flags keep getting pinched or swapped or whatever. This game its just on to the next bit. Yay!

In this game, when you finish a level with enough diamonds, you can get a sub C64 bonus level involving a bouncing ball and lights for an extra life. If you dont collect the word C-L-A-Y which gives you the true bonus level which includes the like of a pinball rip off or literally nothing if you havent got enough diamonds, then bouncy ball is the way to go. Why do I say sub C64? Well, its mainly because of

. Doesnt look so impressive now does it. Ha! the associated quote says it all

wow, that is something not even the stock SNES could do without an expansion chip!

Both parts of the demo are amazing and really worth a watch.

Back to our little genre thief, you finish the level then robots come out of the gnarly worm hole, get axes and then chop down some woods, explode and allow you to go the next level, which is much like the first. At that point I was thoroughly bored with the whole thing. its not as though it's a bad game, it isnt, but other than the clay thing, which is its macguffin, then its really Rolo to the Rescue only slightly different. The rat has some serious control issues not being responsive and the whole thing is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

I dont know if its old age or what, but its been seen before, done before and imho done better, else where this isnt a Snes vs Megadrive thing but if you want a better 'buddy game' go play Rolo to the Rescue. . It will do better for you sanity. If you want to see a better 'Clay' type game play Super Putty or Jelly Boy instead. Although they arent digital rotoscoped clay or whatever. they are more fun.

A poor 4/10

• Paid Members

See, I'm the entire opposite of that opinion pat, I can't stand Rolo. I found it to be mind numbingly dull and awkward when I played it before. And while the mouse is a bastard to control (which I also said anyways), the rest of them aren't too bad. The gopher is way too damned overpowered as a character though.

Oh, that CLAY bonus level, I'd forgotten all about that, so when I finally hit it... yeah, one of the most annoying bonus levels I've ever played. Who the fuck passed that one through the quality checks?

"Right, we have about 10 minutes of mindlessly bouncing around with next to no control unless they're lucky enough to find the exit", I mean sweet holy christ, the amount of times you wind up bouncing between two points in it and have to almost beg the game to let you actually go elsewhere is amazing. I'm assuming that it was the least playtested part of the game and it shows.

See, I'm the entire opposite of that opinion pat, I can't stand Rolo. I found it to be mind numbingly dull and awkward when I played it before. And while the mouse is a bastard to control (which I also said anyways), the rest of them aren't too bad. The gopher is way too damned overpowered as a character though.

Oh, that CLAY bonus level, I'd forgotten all about that, so when I finally hit it... yeah, one of the most annoying bonus levels I've ever played. Who the fuck passed that one through the quality checks?

"Right, we have about 10 minutes of mindlessly bouncing around with next to no control unless they're lucky enough to find the exit", I mean sweet holy christ, the amount of times you wind up bouncing between two points in it and have to almost beg the game to let you actually go elsewhere is amazing. I'm assuming that it was the least playtested part of the game and it shows.

That C-L-A-Y level is actually a game breaker. I was trying to find a version of the ball jumper bonus online to compare with the c64 demo when came across a playthrough and the lass playing actually broke the game to the extent that Clayton bounced somewhere he shouldnt've and would have had wait til the timer run out to do anything.

Though I gave it a poor score, i can appreciate that people will like this game. It just isnt for me. I thought of some more stuff including the inexplicible you cant be an animal to get to the finish line for some reason. ( Did Clayton and anyone else not notice these lightening generators appear in their garden's?

I can see totally why you hate Rolo as well, its one of me mates favourite games though as he grew up playing it to death and he doesnt shut up about it, so this is perhaps why I made the comparison as was the first thing that popped into my head. There are an awful lot of similarities between the games considering though, which is 'odd' perhaps Im reading too much into it?

Still I stand by my score. One year I might even play a Snes game I review favourably :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

I can see the similarities, I hadn't ever thought of them before, but don't think they're quite as obvious as you make out, but I think that might be because I've never really played the games back to back either.

The lightning generators are a good mention too, along with how messy his garden and other places are. I mean take the power lines, either that's one fucking big mouse, or those power lines wouldn't stretch across my wardrobe. :D

But I think looking too far into how "realistic" it is, on a game based around a blob of clay is perhaps going a bit too far ;). I do like how you can power up twice (from ball to animal, to animal with floating ball that attacks enemies), but it does have a few flaws. I do find that said flaws aren't quite an issue.

With the playthrough, is that the lass who loves the gopher? If so I remember seeing it a while back (never watched the whole vid, so never saw the game break on her, but it does add to what I said about how that section of the game damned sure never got playtested).

The ball jumping bit, I dunno... personally it looks better on the SNES than the C64 stuff which seemed to just be random still images getting larger and smaller, and that was it. It's not really got a lot to load either in that sense. With the SNES it has to have the rest of the game in it's memory, but also on later levels have the floor spinning around to make things tougher.

The ball jumping bit, I dunno... personally it looks better on the SNES than the C64 stuff which seemed to just be random still images getting larger and smaller, and that was it. It's not really got a lot to load either in that sense. With the SNES it has to have the rest of the game in it's memory, but also on later levels have the floor spinning around to make things tougher.

The c64 thing was just to show that it could be done elsewhere no problems, and as the quote says, has to be done via a special chip on the Snes and not native to the Snes. Alot of Snes effects were additional chips in carts, which if done today, may have distorted peoples views of how good the snes really was as a base model, as people seem to place more in specs as time goes on. Im not sure Iam that bothered but it is interesting to see how things were added on, much in the way as it was to make the NES do techincal stuff

Claymates isnt listed on that Cart list but Ive a feeling it should be as afaik there are at least two things that arent native Snes things in the game.

The Megadrive had in comparison just the SVP for Virtua Racing, and planned conversions of Virtua Fighter and impressively Daytona! (would have loved to have seen that done) which appear to have been shifted to the 32x/Saturn mid development (

)