The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

OK, well erm...Desert Strike.

When I saw the thread I thought "oh bollocks. I hate that game."

And went and bought it. The game has become such a bane in my life that it's actually not what we were supposed to have reviewed this week. It's an evil, evil production and the software developers who thought this sluggishly dull game would be fun are my new arch-enemies.

Now, Desert Strike is a game about a helicopter during war time. Helicopters are fast, and war is action packed. This game is neither.

I spent what seemed like hours actually trying to reach my intended targets, with very little else to do in between. When action does come your way it's at a very irritating time, and I just couldn't be bothered dealing with it.

The game controls are pretty awkward to. It's certainly a game that would be less infuriating with the modern day double-analogue stick.

Graphic wise things are OK I guess, but sound wise things are monotonous. There's sound effects for the propellers/bullets, but there's no sense of atmosphere. No music, no sound effects that give any sense of where you actually are...maybe we've been spoiled in this modern era in terms of the atmosphere a game presents, but having said that I wonder if I'm just excusing this particular fault.

Not only did I buy the wrong game, I bought a BAD game. It's about as much fun as trying to fit a needle up your pee-hole.

AVOID.

1/10

• 2 weeks later...

Desert Fighter

The game that passed everyone by this was released towards the very end of the Snes's life, as people were beginning to think about a switch to Saturn, Playstation or even PC gaming. It is also known in some places as A.S.P (Air Strike Patrol) What of the game itself though?

Initially the games comparisons come thick and fast, Its Desert Strike with Planes isnt it? is one such thing that is labelled at it. However those critics are missing the point. Whilst it looks like Desert Strike and is set in a War akin to the 1st Gulf War, it is not Desert Strike with planes by any stretch of the imagination. Superficially, there's no winching, its not slow and there is much more to it than blowing stuff up: Go under the bonnet there is a whole different game.

You are part of a UN Task Force assigned to the pacification of Zaraq, a country where things have got really out of hand due to a mad dictator and problems with oil and the such like. You have a choice of Planes to fly. An F15 used for Air to Air Combat to start with and it is fast and harder to control or an A10 Tankbuster, which is much slower but has enough equipment to do some serious Air to Ground Damage. As the game progresses your tech teams depending on how well you have done are able to get the F15 equipped with ground missiles and the A10 should you want them, air missiles. This is helpful as you cant attack air targets with air to ground loads and ground targets with air to air loads. If you are attacked by an opposing MIG in the A10 with a ground load out your best bet is to jink and weave out of the way or head back to base to change to the F15, or if you feel confident refuel and come back. The A10 really is a flying tank in this game and is something that should be considered, except when chasing SCUD sites, where the speed of the F15 is required.

Ordinarily this wouldn't mean anything to gamers, your sorties into the theatre of war are timed, not as in arcade timed, but as in tactially timed. You have so many hours to pacify an area, going back to change aircraft, rearm, being shot down and so on all adds to the time elapse. Dont complete the objectives in that time and its game over.

How you play the game effects things as well. Pretty much everything is destructible in the game and too much friendly fire, and the game will suddenly break to a news report updating you on the situation, you can also blow up non enemy buildings and installations as well as get friendly fire damage, all of which dependant on the levels of destruction can lead to a special report. Too many of these and the government will pull out of the war, or you will be effectively sacked and again its game over.

Desert Fighter is a wonderful game, the graphics are smart, and very detailed, launch a missile at an oil refinery and watch the chain reactions as it blows up, or the details on the air bases planes, tanks and so on. The music is fantastic and the whole package is something I can

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not a game nomination, sadly. An update for all you retro lovers though. This coming weekend I'll be uploading a huge Shadow of the Beast article that will look at all games in the trilogy, the impact they made, and legacy they left and there'll be an exclusive interview with Tim Wright. Also loads of cool artwork and stuff.

• 9 months later...
  • Paid Members

Couldn't really find anywhere else to ask this as there's no 'inane questions to be answered' thread in off topic.Anywho's me and me mates were reminiscing about early ish playstation games, we got on to what games we got free with the console and couldn't remember the name of one of the games i got.The bundle included Tekken 2, Wipeout 2097, Alien Trilogy and this one other.It basically was an FPS that involved you driving a tank about and shooting stuff and trying to open gates to get through. none of my mates can recall anything like it, and i can't remember its name, its jolly well pissing me off by Jove!Any help would be appreciated.

It basically was an FPS that involved you driving a tank about and shooting stuff and trying to open gates to get through. none of my mates can recall anything like it, and i can't remember its name, its jolly well pissing me off by Jove!Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty certain that is Shell Shock by Core

• Paid Members
It basically was an FPS that involved you driving a tank about and shooting stuff and trying to open gates to get through. none of my mates can recall anything like it, and i can't remember its name, its jolly well pissing me off by Jove!

Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty certain that is Shell Shock by Core

Its no this game, the gameplay was a lot quicker and it was set in the future!

You need to revive this, Pat!

I would if any bugger would play and comment on it :p

Its no this game, the gameplay was a lot quicker and it was set in the future!

Do we have a general retro games thread? And if not, can it be this one?

Aye can update the title no probs, I dont think there is a general thread for it currently

• Paid Members
Not a game nomination, sadly. An update for all you retro lovers though. This coming weekend I'll be uploading a huge Shadow of the Beast article that will look at all games in the trilogy, the impact they made, and legacy they left and there'll be an exclusive interview with Tim Wright. Also loads of cool artwork and stuff.

Will you now? ;)

Whatever happened to that Triple A, does it exist for you to now post?

• Paid Members

Will you now? ;)

Whatever happened to that Triple A, does it exist for you to now post?

Sadly not. The website I was working for at the time started to irritate the shit out of me. There was basically me and one other guy posting stuff on it regularly. The owner of the site didn't write a single thing I don't think, and the other guy's ego got to his head. I held off doing it for ages because the website was basically being ran by this one guy, who because he lived further south and went to conventions thought he was a 10 year professional or something.

He published an article that he didn't bother to spellcheck or anything and one thing he actually said to me was "it doesn't matter if xbox doesn't have a capital X".

It was without doubt the shittest fluff article I've seen.

http://addictoffiction.com/top-10-rare-xbo...and-accessories

I let him have it and he since blocked me entirely.

Needless to say I left the website.

Anyway, the two interviews remained dormant in my documents with nowhere to post them, until Patdfb set me up with a guy who runs a quarterly online Retro magazine called NES Bit. The guy from there contacted me and asked for permission to use the interviews for an Amiga Retrospect article in the coming issue, which I agreed to (as long as I got credited, etc). He then offered me some work elsewhere in the magazine, which I've taken up.

So the interviews will be released some time in January, just not in the form originally intended.

Edited by TripleA

OK, well erm...Desert Strike.

When I saw the thread I thought "oh bollocks. I hate that game."

And went and bought it. The game has become such a bane in my life that it's actually not what we were supposed to have reviewed this week. It's an evil, evil production and the software developers who thought this sluggishly dull game would be fun are my new arch-enemies.

Now, Desert Strike is a game about a helicopter during war time. Helicopters are fast, and war is action packed. This game is neither.

I spent what seemed like hours actually trying to reach my intended targets, with very little else to do in between. When action does come your way it's at a very irritating time, and I just couldn't be bothered dealing with it.

The game controls are pretty awkward to. It's certainly a game that would be less infuriating with the modern day double-analogue stick.

Graphic wise things are OK I guess, but sound wise things are monotonous. There's sound effects for the propellers/bullets, but there's no sense of atmosphere. No music, no sound effects that give any sense of where you actually are...maybe we've been spoiled in this modern era in terms of the atmosphere a game presents, but having said that I wonder if I'm just excusing this particular fault.

Not only did I buy the wrong game, I bought a BAD game. It's about as much fun as trying to fit a needle up your pee-hole.

AVOID.

1/10

Haha, I don't think i've ever read an opinion on a game that's differed quite as much from mine as the above!

Some of my greatest gaming memories are of playing Desert (and Jungle) Strike. It was right up there with Micro Machines 2, Super Mario World/Kart, Road Rash, Streets of Rage, the early EA sports games etc. in terms of my favourites back in the day. I think it was probably the 'free-roaming' nature of it which really set it apart from anything else at the time.