The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I think I broke an NES joypad and I think it might have been over Super Mario Bros 3. The thing about most Super Mario games ever, since the first one which was just solid all the way through, is that they are by and large pretty easy - and then all of a sudden they throw an absolute twat of a stage in and it takes you about 56 lives to do it. Pretty sure that's what happened here. It was probably one of those fucking Ice World levels.

It could have been that level on the ship where you've got cannons flying up your arse from every direction. What a cunt of a level that was. Never completed that game. There was definitely a spike in difficulty around that level.

As much as I love the game and it brings the memories flooding back I hated the end of Sonic 2. If beating Metal Sonic without rings ain't pain in the arse enough you have to beat that fat fuck and his robot. I found it impossible that boss, only could beat it with some of ol' cheating. Didn't help that I'd sweat out and get all nervous about facing him. I wouldn't even throw the pad in anger cos I just kind of accepted that I'll never beat him. How many times did you have to hit him, 15? Good luck with that. The Death Egg music was immense though. That intro proper shit me up.

As much as I love the game and it brings the memories flooding back I hated the end of Sonic 2. If beating Metal Sonic without rings ain't pain in the arse enough you have to beat that fat fuck and his robot. I found it impossible that boss, only could beat it with some of ol' cheating. Didn't help that I'd sweat out and get all nervous about facing him. I wouldn't even throw the pad in anger cos I just kind of accepted that I'll never beat him. How many times did you have to hit him, 15? Good luck with that. The Death Egg music was immense though. That intro proper shit me up.

The cunt of a thing is and it's rather pointless if you jump over the gap in to the cockpit after beating Robotnik there's either rings or an extra life, which is daft to the extreme!

• Paid Members

For that robot, you stand in a specific spot to the left and then spin off right when he comes down, and without fail he's always got his back to you so you can just dodge the bombs and hit him.

Still can't do it with Knuckles though :'(

• Paid Members

I've been sat waiting for a phone call today, so what better time than to set up the old Intellivision?

e8402122033811e390af22000a9e0631_7.jpg

There's only about half a dozen games I'll play, and Tron: Deadly Discs is by far my favourite. I was quite annoyed that it wasn't on the Intellivision Lives! compilation for the PS2.

Someone really needs to make an updated version of this. It's a simple enough game, and is perfect for analogue controllers.

And having a mixture of Daft Punk and Wendy Carlos playing to making up for the lack of in-game music was tremendous. A pause button would have allowed for some better screen shots though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1 Fan

Yeah heard about that trick recently. Never thought about that as a daft kid.

Somebody should put a grime beat over the beginning of this:

Fucking classic.

There's an orchestral remix

Sonic 2's End theme is a complete cover though of

Windoesnot has just evoked some memories as that rally game was bastard bastard hard and then some!

Cheers for all that mate, I appreciate it. On the subject of brutal rally games, has anyone ever suffered through V-Rally on the N64? I believe it was out on the Playstation, too. I only got a 64 about 3 or 4 years ago for the first time, and thought I'd grab myself a cheapo racing cartridge as a bit of a starter for the impending collection. What a bag of fucking shite though. Horrible and unforgiving controls, and dull, lifeless tracks. I don't think I ever actually made it to the end of a track in fact, such was the intense difficulty of this title.

I went on to buy a game called

Windoesnot has just evoked some memories as that rally game was bastard bastard hard and then some!

Cheers for all that mate, I appreciate it. On the subject of brutal rally games, has anyone ever suffered through V-Rally on the N64? I believe it was out on the Playstation, too. I only got a 64 about 3 or 4 years ago for the first time, and thought I'd grab myself a cheapo racing cartridge as a bit of a starter for the impending collection. What a bag of fucking shite though. Horrible and unforgiving controls, and dull, lifeless tracks. I don't think I ever actually made it to the end of a track in fact, such was the intense difficulty of this title.

V Rally on the PS1 was immense mainly because when Pissed or stoned one of the Italian tracks had a level crossing and the game became about how many times you could roll the car rather than the race itself!

If beating Metal Sonic without rings ain't pain in the arse enough you have to beat that fat fuck and his robot.

One time a few years ago me and an ex bird dug out the Mega Drive and had a crack at Sonic 2. We'd had gotten up to Metal Sonic with about 10 / 15 lives to spare. As we gradually took turns getting raped by Metal Sonic, we decided to pause it and phone my mate round to help out, as he was quite a fanatic of the games (even more so than me) in our youth. Anyway, he came round straight away, and having not played the game for years, beat it first shot. We were amazed. We'd used about 5 lives each and were hopeless, yet this guy remembered the exact

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
There's only about half a dozen games I'll play, and Tron: Deadly Discs is by far my favourite. I was quite annoyed that it wasn't on the Intellivision Lives! compilation for the PS2.

This comp is my only experience of the Intellivision, and admittedly, I didn't give it much of perseverance. There were a few funky little games on there from what I remember, but it always seems awkward when playing emulated games from systems that had weird and wonderful controllers, such as the Intellivision.

Still, I always wanted an Intellivision, a Coleco and an Arcadia 2001 in my collection, just for that cool, retro look they all had. When I got to over 10 systems though, and had to move back into my parents home, downsizing all of my ridiculous collections became the order of the day :(

I only loaded it up twice, I think. You can tell that some of the games on there are decent, but they just didn't translate to the PS2 controller.

Bit of a left field one, this: My brother used to have a game called Parasol Stars for the game boy (part of the bubble bobble franchise). He was amazing at it, a total master. He used to get to a particular level - world 8, level 3 I think - and he couldn't get past it. It was physically impossible to get past it, the baddies were on a platform at the top of the screen and you couldn't get your character up there, no matter what you did, so the time just runs out and you lose all your lives. He tried and tried and never got past it. I don't suppose anyone else encountered this game in times of yore?

Bit of a left field one, this: My brother used to have a game called Parasol Stars for the game boy (part of the bubble bobble franchise). He was amazing at it, a total master. He used to get to a particular level - world 8, level 3 I think - and he couldn't get past it. It was physically impossible to get past it, the baddies were on a platform at the top of the screen and you couldn't get your character up there, no matter what you did, so the time just runs out and you lose all your lives. He tried and tried and never got past it. I don't suppose anyone else encountered this game in times of yore?

Played the game plenty, never got that far. Always faired better at Rodland to be honest Good game and the bubbles of water with different power ups were a good touch. Me and me bro would always spend time surfing water through the level rather than playing it to be fair

This Longplay will probably help

• Awards Moderator
Any actual good games on it such as Sonic CD (which isn't event that good anyway) or Eternal Champions, Final Fight, etc. Will knock you back around
Edited by Black2

Played the game plenty, never got that far. Always faired better at Rodland to be honest Good game and the bubbles of water with different power ups were a good touch. Me and me bro would always spend time surfing water through the level rather than playing it to be fair

This Longplay will probably help

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful. I'll have to have a proper look later.