The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

There was a completely different game on the C64 called Fast Food:-

It was shite, though. Its follow-up, Kwik Snax, was really good, though:-

I did smash a joystick over it once but also managed to complete it shortly afterwards. Fun times!

There was a completely different game on the C64 called Fast Food:-

Cool, I'd never heard of that one. The game play does indeed look frustratingly slow on that video. I've seen plenty of more entraining looking rudimentary Pac Man clones out there, for sure. I've never really explored the C64. We were already at the point of the Amiga 500 when I was first getting into home computers. The first one I actually owned was an A1200. My primary school was still rocking a BBC micro into the 90's though, so I did get to play a little bit of that system.

The king of all fast food themed retro games for me is

. I've actually got a 2600 version of this which I've been playing a bit recently, but the graphics and controls are terrible. Getting the little chef guy to change direction quickly to avoid the enemies can be a nightmare. Even with those restraints, it's still quite fun to play, and other superior versions are even better. Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
I did smash a joystick over it once but also managed to complete it shortly afterwards. Fun times!

Joystick throwing became a regular thing in our house. If it was an Olympic sport, me and my brother would have won gold. I once bounced a Mega Drive controller off his bonce became he let us down on Double Dragon, dying right near the end and leaving me to fight for the girl's freedom on my own. I then lost and it was all his fault. Still think I was well within my rights.

The thing with the old consoles like Master System is you couldn't save. There was none of that 'I'll save before this cunt of a boss and if I lose I'll just restart and try again'. If you died on them old games you'd have to start the whole game again. I was a little shit when that happened, blaming everything from the sun getting in my eyes, the dog farting and putting me off or just the fact my brother was watching me

Good times.

You couldn't save on the Master System, no. However, on the model II Master System, there was no power indicating LED, so often I'd stay up until it was lights out time, playing one of the Sonic or Alex Kidd games, and if I'd got really far, I'd pause it and cheekily leave the system on overnight, with the TV turned off and everything. Then, when you get home from school the following day, hey presto! Back where you left off without having to graft through from the start again. If I'd have been playing the model I with the power indicator, no doubt it would have been switched off by my parents at some point before I resumed play.

• Paid Members

I think I broke an NES joypad and I think it might have been over Super Mario Bros 3. The thing about most Super Mario games ever, since the first one which was just solid all the way through, is that they are by and large pretty easy - and then all of a sudden they throw an absolute twat of a stage in and it takes you about 56 lives to do it. Pretty sure that's what happened here. It was probably one of those fucking Ice World levels.

• 5 months later...
I had this discussion with Windoesnot and someone else at PCW (probs you actually :p ) It and Screamer Rally are a thing of beauty! Proper ace games. If you want to get hold of something daft but oh so gorgeous. I recommend World Rally Fever from the same time period, it's like a cross between Powerdrift, Mario Kart and Sega Rally

Cheers man, looks interesting. The car handling looks like it could do with tightening up a bit though, based on what I can make out from the video. I had a very juvenile little chuckle there, when the player entered his name as

I had this discussion with Windoesnot and someone else at PCW (probs you actually :p ) It and Screamer Rally are a thing of beauty! Proper ace games. If you want to get hold of something daft but oh so gorgeous. I recommend World Rally Fever from the same time period, it's like a cross between Powerdrift, Mario Kart and Sega Rally

Cheers man, looks interesting. The car handling looks like it could do with tightening up a bit though, based on what I can make out from the video. I had a very juvenile little chuckle there, when the player entered his name as

Edited by patdfb

Aye, Screamer, Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally were the boss at the time for arcade PC racing.

Heres another really good PC Rally game from that time period:

Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.jpg

Remember playing the absolute shit out of this game when it came out. Was brutally difficult.

I've still got the disk for this game. It's in my car, it was one of those games where you could listen to the soundtrack if you put in in a CD player. There was something a bit odd about driving to work with that playing over here, but I'm going to play it again as soon as I get a windows box again.