Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I love it, but it's a Whedon show. It's the same as all of his output (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse). Everything's a little bit camp, plenty of witty one-liners being thrown around and the occasional serious moment thrown in. If you're not a fan of Whedon's shows you won't enjoy this, but if you're a Whedon fanboy like me then you'll love it.

• Paid Members
I love it, but it's a Whedon show. It's the same as all of his output (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse). Everything's a little bit camp, plenty of witty one-liners being thrown around and the occasional serious moment thrown in. If you're not a fan of Whedon's shows you won't enjoy this, but if you're a Whedon fanboy like me then you'll love it.

Im not a fan boy or a Whedon hater, i am however a avid marvel fan.

I thought it was ok, i like that Agent hill was used to help settle it in, the name dropping was fun. I cant really see how it can fail or be allowed to fail more to the point

• Moderators

Dollhouse is one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen and I've never been a big Whedon fan so Jesster's post has made me less likely to bother getting around to watching this.

I'll probably wait a few weeks and if you guys are saying its dogshit I won't bother starting.

It was recommended to me yesterday though. But that was by my 7 year old nephew*, so what does he know?

* when it's your cousin's child is it still a nephew? What is the word for that?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Burtons 'Batman Returns' plays more like a drama than an action film, so much so my 16 year old daughter decided to leave halfway through the film as 'nothing was happening!'

As to 'Agents of shield' it was ruined by:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

a shitty flying car

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Burtons 'Batman Returns' plays more like a drama than an action film, so much so my 16 year old daughter decided to leave halfway through the film as 'nothing was happening!'

As to 'Agents of shield' it was ruined by:

a shitty flying car

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Why?

S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, including Nick Fury and Captain America have been driving/flying around in flying cars in the comics for ages!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I used to love Batman Returns as a kid. I taped when it was shown on ITV for the first time and watched it at least onnce a week for the better part of a year. Have it in the BluRay collection now and still really enjoy it. Devito was great and I still think Keaton was the best Batman.

As for Depp in a Batman movie, before Cillian Murphy in the Nolan films, I could have bought Depp as Scarecrow

Hmm. 2 episodes in, and Agents of Shield is really not working, is it? It feels low budget, even though it's probably not, and there's absolutely no chemistry between any members of the team.

I quite liked Agent Coulson in the films, but pull him out into his own show, and it suddenly becomes obvious how dull he is. His greyness, which was amusing in 2 minute doses within a 2 hour movie, just seems now like a ridiculous thing to base a show around.

Without him as a lynchpin, we're relying on a bunch of new characters, all of whom are paper-thin stereotypes - the action hero, the geeks, the eastern chop-suey expert, the rebel. Awful.

On top of that, there's no... fucking point to what they're doing. If it's going to do the monster-of-the-week format, it will get boring really, really fast. They are going to have to sidestep around anything else major happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so it'll just be a series of maguffins and some clever retorts.

Thumb tentatively down.

To be honest most of the Batman films just pale in comparison to Batman vs. Robin. None of them have the same level of genius as that movie. If I was going to watch a Batman movie right now it'd be that one. Anyone who thinks this is sarcasm is an idiot or has shit taste when it comes to Batman movies.