Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Its a bubble that'll burst inevitably. They'll keep milking it for as long as they can though, people will get bored and they'll move onto the next genre. then somebody will reimagine superhero movies and they'll pop up again. Its just like the notion of 'serious' po-faced genre movies, sooner or later there'll be loads of really campy films out and about again.

• Paid Members
Are they doing a standalone Batman? I thought they were going straight in with Justice League?

There's really no need for a standalone Batman film so soon after the Nolan trilogy. At least it won't be a fucking origin movie though, so I'll still watch it.

I would put money on another standalone batman film, if for no reason than to hype a justice league movie. The gossip is Affleck has signed on for multiple movies portraying Batman.

• Paid Members

There's no way they would have signed Ben Affleck if he wasn't willing to commit to at least 4 films, they don't want another situation like having to pay Robert Downey Jr 75 million.

Chris Evans famously had to sign to appear in 9 films as Captain America when he signed his contract for 1st Avenger.

I think the bubble will burst from thr scale it's on now but now it's established as a genre they'll keep making them. Like how horror movies were so huge in the mid 90s then the bubble burst but they still make horror films now.

I think running out of characters will be the first problem, they've done nearly everyone famous and even I'm not excited about Ant-Man.

• Paid Members

I dont think running out of characters will be a problem. Ironman was never on the Batman/Superman/Spider-man level and hes one of their biggest earners now. Look at how much hype Guardians of The Galaxy is getting. Thats a group of characters thats as low down the casual fan awareness spectrum as you can get, Theres literally hundreds of characters at that level they could use.

• Moderators

I wrote a huge fucking essay here in reply to Butch, about the movie business and all the various factors that have driven the superhero boom, and it was really great, like a film nerd version of the brilliantly insightful stuff Ian posts about TNA, but then there was a power cut right as I went to press 'add reply' so fuck it.

Anyway, current rumour, and it's only a rumour, is that Lex Luthor has also been cast.

breaking-bad-character-portrait-bryan-cranston.jpg

Even if that's not true, which is likely isn't at all, he's openly expressed an interest in the role, so I could see it happening eventually.

Oddly, the mayor of Belize has offered the entire cast of Breaking Bad a free 5 star visit.

But, that's not relevant.

I'd love to see Cranston move on to bigger, blockbuster roles but the archetypal Luthor look is too similar to the Heisenberg look. I can't see it. They won't want everyone expecting WW.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Don't know what to make of Affleck being Batman, absolutely hated Daredevil but that was what 10 years ago? I think he deserves a bit of comic book film redemption for that. Just hope it's more Nolan Batman than Schumacher Batman (liked Forever and B&R is a guilty pleasure but no more camp please)

• Awards Moderator

Is 'superhero' on the way to becoming a genre of its own? I know a lot of people are saying the bubble will burst soon, but it seems that there's enough of them now that it doesn't quite seem right to lump them all in the 'action slash sci-fi slash fantasy' bracket. I've got no idea how you officially 'become' a genre, mind...