Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

On 7/18/2024 at 8:23 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Do i need to watch the first season of gen v before jumping in to the latest series of the boys?

I hate to be a contrarian because @Merzbow is brilliant - but I'd have to disagree with them here. There's crossover for sure, but you could definitely watch The Boys without having seen Gen V. There are cameos and plot threads that carry over - and although you'll miss the cameos, the plot threads that carry over are easily understood without having seen Gen V. I'd still say that it's worth watching Gen V though as it's a good show - probably better, I dare say, than this season of The Boys. 

On 7/18/2024 at 7:53 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Not watched the finale yet but they’ve really leant in to the meta Trump stuff this season. So much so that even the whacky right have realised they’re getting sent up and turned on the show even though they’ve always been the butt of the joke.

Yeah, I didn't like this. The show has always sent up the right, but this was so blatant it felt lazy. Like Merzbow, I enjoyed the final episode - but this was by far the weakest season of the show. 

I've not seen the spinoff and as of episode 5 of the latest season of the Boys i've not felt I needed to. There appears to be one plot point that's important from the spinoff for the current storylines in the main show and I found the 20 seconds of footage used in "previously on" summed up the salient points - I don't really get the impression I missed anything based on the understanding of

Spoiler

Virus kills superheroes dead, except Homelander
Head exploding lady has all existing instances of said virus

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Deadpool & Wolverine seems to be getting marmite responses, but when you find one of the best things about it was the IMAX 3D presentation, it’s not a great start. Unlike this film which has a really enjoyable opening sequence before starting to fall apart. A wafer thin plot, interesting villains that are barely explored and jokes about cocaine and pegging every 10 minutes. 

Spoiler

When a film is basically cameo part the movie and that’s a selling point, you’re in trouble. It’s not going to hold up to repeat watches.

It’s just not that funny (except to the hyena sitting behind who found every single line obnoxiously hilarious) unless you’re a teen. Most of the jokes appear to be can we get away with THIS in an MCU movie. Whether you can, doesn’t mean you should, and that sums this movie up.

It’s not all bad, obviously is great to see Hugh Jackman back, some cameos are interesting, some jokes are funny. But the only thing this film is saving is most of the MCU’s recent box office performance. This was not the one for me.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Just came out of a lunchtime showing of Deadpool & Wolverine. I probably can't say much of anything without some pretty chunky spoilers, but it's a heck of a ride, there are some spectacular cameos, nice easter eggs, and everybody looks like they're having a great time. If you like the Deadpool and MCU stuff this is heaps of fun. 

angry clint eastwood GIF

Yeah, God, fuck people having fun.

Its standard Marvel fare, If you don't like it, don't watch it. Its never gonna be everyone's cup of tea. Deadpool's a bit shite regardless. He's a fun character that gets old REAL quick. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Its standard Marvel fare, If you don't like it, don't watch it. Its never gonna be everyone's cup of tea. Deadpool's a bit shite regardless. He's a fun character that gets old REAL quick. 

I like Marvel movies. I grew up a Marvel fan. I didn’t have fun

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Films shouldn't be measured by actors "having fun" or looking like they're "having a great time". That stuff (along with cameos, bad improv and easter eggs) are just shortcuts and cheap thrills for bad, shallow and empty films.

I'm pretty tired of superhero stuff but I randomly gave Invincible on Amazon Prime a go and got hooked pretty quick. Based on what I had previously heard I thought it would be some cringe edge-lord type stuff but it's actually a very well written show with real emotional stakes. I'm about halfway through season 2 now and they have a great balance between "monster of the week" and longer arcs/stories.

Edited by LaGoosh
*Invincible not Invisible

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm pretty tired of superhero stuff but I randomly gave Invisible on Amazon Prime a go and got hooked pretty quick. Based on what I had previously heard I thought it would be some cringe edge-lord type stuff but it's actually a very well written show with real emotional stakes. I'm about halfway through season 2 now and they have a great balance between "monster of the week" and longer arcs/stories.

Invincible is superb, I'm glad you're enjoying it - there's also a bonus episode about Atom Eve which I don't think is listed with the main Invincible show on Prime (I may be wrong about that) - it's worth watching too. 

As far as Marvel goes; for me, the problem with a shared universe is that there generally ends up being a shared tone - so it's over 15-years of the same kind of tongue-in-cheek superhero movie - and in addition to that, there's been a Marvelification of other films, games and TV shows - with an abundance of slightly-irritating wise-cracking protagonists. 

That's why I liked the approach DC took for a while - where they moved away from the shared Snyder-verse and played around with the genre a bit; producing very different visions of what a superhero film could be, between The Suicide Squad, The Batman and Joker. 

Perhaps the MCU can be salvaged, but I'd love to see Marvel wrap it up and try something different - letting the various heroes exist as separate entities with their own distinct worlds, and let directors experiment with the genre. It's no coincidence that the best films involving a Marvel property in recent years have been the Spiderverse movies. 

Edited by RedTwoster

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Has there ever been real talk about adapting Transmetropolitan? I know we don't talk about the piece of shit author these days but it feels like something that would go down really well today.

Feels like there should be multiple actors champing at the bit to play Spider Jerusalem. That's a real potential iconic role/this years most popular halloween costume

Obviously it's very based in late 90s early 2000s politics but the underlying stuff still holds up and if you really want the thinly veiled analogues it really wouldn't be too hard to update the Smiler and Beast to something more current

• Moderators

I think I might struggle to enjoy it seeing as it's pretty clear how much of how Warren Ellis sees himself was put in to that character. It's a shame because I really loved it and I think the subject matter is still really relevant.

Yeah I think it'd be too difficult to divorce him from the art, even if he had no involvement. He'd certainly gain money from it if nothing else..

There's a few modern comics I'd kill to see adapted, Lovesick would possibly the one of the edgiest TV shows ever but very much from a feminist slant and fits in perfectly with the current state of the world and the online incel right.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I think I might struggle to enjoy it seeing as it's pretty clear how much of how Warren Ellis sees himself was put in to that character. It's a shame because I really loved it and I think the subject matter is still really relevant.

Very much that, and especially when it comes to his interactions with women in the series. And his story would end up all over any attempt to promote the series as well (and rightfully so). 

To be honest, it's going to be interesting (and depressing) to see what else comes out on the Gaiman stuff, and how that affects things going forward as well.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Yeah, it's not like you go in there expecting Citizen Kane. I expected stupid Deadpool nonsense, and got stupid Deadpool nonsense. If the cast are having a good time as well then it shows through, like if a band are e joying what they do. It's just something that I like about stuff. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

10 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I think it'd be too difficult to divorce him from the art, even if he had no involvement. He'd certainly gain money from it if nothing else..

There's a few modern comics I'd kill to see adapted, Lovesick would possibly the one of the edgiest TV shows ever but very much from a feminist slant and fits in perfectly with the current state of the world and the online incel right.

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Very much that, and especially when it comes to his interactions with women in the series. And his story would end up all over any attempt to promote the series as well (and rightfully so). 

To be honest, it's going to be interesting (and depressing) to see what else comes out on the Gaiman stuff, and how that affects things going forward as well.

It was disappointing to read about how, after seemingly doing everything right initially to acknowledge, take responsibility for, and make restitution for his behaviour, he just completely failed to live up to what he talked about, and what they asked of him. It's so rare to hear of any of these people doing what they should, properly and without reservation.