THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

• Paid Members

By the posts you make/others make.

Town want to lynch scum.

Scum want to lynch town, but appear to be trying to lynch scum.

You pretty much have to work out who are town trying to lynch scum, and who are scum just trying to lynch anyone that might be a mislynch. The only way to do that is by reading what people say, and questioning them and putting pressure on them.

The D&D analogy doesn't really work since D&D is about following a plot of some sort and the plot (as well as the chance element with dice and whatnot) is essential to how the game is played. Mafia is the same basic set-up every time and the "flavour" of the game is more or less irrelevant to the gameplay.

The basic set-up involves a "scum" team (usually three players) and a "town" group (any number, but usually at least double the number of scum). Scum (in the original versions of the game, this was a Mafia group trying to infiltrate the town) kill someone every "night". Town try to figure out who is scum and lynch them by a majority vote during the "day" phases. Scum can talk to each other elsewhere (quicktopic.com is the usual place) so they can plan their attack and co-ordinate their message in the game thread. Town can't, so they have to rely on asking questions of each other and trying to figure out whose actions and statements look suspect. It sounds kinda daft and probably reads as totally ridiculous if you're not playing, but it's actually quite good fun once you get into it. It's an exercise in paranoia and trust and once you get a feel for how it works and what sort of things you're looking for, it's pretty absorbing. I totally understand why some people don't think it's their thing, but I don't get the sniping about it. I'd recommend having a go at a game and see what you think once you actually play. It's different from just reading the thread. Also, don't go on what you saw in that Chinatown thread. Snake and Teedy Kay were on my team and I thought they were twats at the end of it.

• Paid Members

The D&D comparison really doesn't hold up at all.

Mafia games are generally built around the fact that you don't know the other players' roles, and the point of the game isn't to pretend to be a character. The names of the roles and the characters assigned to them are purely for flavour, and you could just as easily run the game with any arbitrary names assigned to each game role.

If you're mafia in the game, you don't play the game in character and pretend to be a mafia don, but instead you word your posts in such a way that the players on the other team make bad decisions and fail to discover you and ideally kill off some of their own if you've managed to create enough distrust and paranoia. "Town" and "Mafia" could just as easily be "Red Team" and "Blue Team".

Having a particular role to play in a game and roleplaying actually are not the same thing at all, no matter how sarcastic and intentionally obtuse you want to be. The person acting as the banker in Monopoly isn't roleplaying, but handing out the money when someone passes go is part of their role in the game.

The person acting as the banker in Monopoly isn't roleplaying, but handing out the money when someone passes go is part of their role in the game.

When I play it is - I tend to pay myself large bonuses straight from the bank and try and sleep with the woman sitting next to me. If the other players rumble me, I take all my money and walk away from the game declaring myself the winner.

I really think you guys are missing a trick here - what you're basically doing is roleplaying without the dressing up and pretending to be a character. That's the fun bit, surely? At the moment you make it sound like 'The Office - the RPG'.

Brent throws a D20 and Dawn has to refill the copier.

• Paid Members
what you're basically doing is roleplaying without the dressing up and pretending to be a character.

So not roleplaying at all then.

I don't participate in them or in any threads on here much any more, I just find ignorant trolling to be more tiresome than informed trolling. Step up your troll game, is what I'm saying. Also give Green a reach around or something. Poor lad just wants some reciprocation.

First person to play the troll card loses the argument, JLM, you know that! :p

I still think you'll enjoy it more if you just wear the pointy hats.

I think I preferred the mafia games when I thought it was an online role playing game type thing. Those descriptions posted here (with the exception of Kenny's) have sucked what little fun there seemed to be in them and somehow made them worse. Was honestly thinking of giving one a go for shits and giggles but on the basis of the last few pages? No thanks.

Still, I'm sure you don't need a coaster in the game, I'm sure that would have been bad for everyone overall, so fair enough.

Black people can't wear pointy hats?

It was probably a joke about them having frizzy hair.

I really think you guys are missing a trick here - what you're basically doing is roleplaying without the dressing up and pretending to be a character. That's the fun bit, surely?

That's what I thought the appeal was as well.