THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

• Paid Members
Call me behind the times but, what actually are Mafia Wars that everyone on here is on about? Is it some role playing game or somthing?

Not really a 'roleplaying' game, although they are sometimes themed - but that's more for silliness/atmosphere rather than how the game plays.

Essentially, you have a game where you have to work out which other players are the bad guys. If a majority vote is that one guy is a bad guy, they're removed from the game. Carries on until one side wins.

Call me behind the times but, what actually are Mafia Wars that everyone on here is on about? Is it some role playing game or somthing?

It's a roleplaying game, Dungeons and Dragons without the dice. Except what is ACTUALLY is, is one long semi-kayfabed argument over each other's posts. It's basically Mornington Crecent except there ARE rules.

• Paid Members

If you've never played a roleplaying game, and never played mafia, then yes, they're the same. If you know what a roleplaying game is, they're not really much alike at all.

It's a bit like saying pro wrestling and boxing are the same thing, just without the rounds system. There are enough similarities that it's an accurate statement, but ignoring huge differences.

• Paid Members

It's possibly setting off my pedantic tourettes, on the basis that I can't stand Dungeons and Dragons. In fact, ironically, I dislike most roleplaying games.

It's possibly because of that, when someone says that the game is basically rubbish because it's like dungeons and dragons, it annoys me slightly - if it was like D&D, I probably wouldn't play.

What is it like, then? What's the basis for players voting other players as baddies? What's the thing with PMing mods at night-time about roleplays that you want to do? It seems like an e-fed version of the Godfather or something, and I'd definitely put e-feds in the same boat as Dungeons & Dragons. Is there not any actual character roleplaying involved? I thought that was the appeal.

Edited by King Pitcos

I don't really play on the UKFF, although I may be interested in it, but I do play similar games elsewhere. I think the comparison to D&D is pretty fair, they are certainly within in a similar sphere, Chris B. I think you're a bit worried about admitting your geeky interests, embrace it!

Loki, in a tounge-in-cheek way you paint a somewhat accurate picture of the game. It's not hoods and fake spells in your mam's basement, but it's something similar. Give it a shot if you want.

Edited by theaddicane

• Paid Members

Not really, no. Sure, there are themes, but they're pretty irrelevant with regards to the gameplay. Same with characters.

You have roles in the sense of some players have abilities, but it's not a case of 'playing that character'.

It's more a detection game, because the only way to win is via team-play. You just don't know who's on your team, and you have to try and work that out. Some of the PMs and abilities are ways in which certain players (randomly picked) have ways to make that easier.

Don't be daft, Pitcos. Roleplaying, and playing a role... they are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things.

For example, in Dungeons and Dragons, you might say "Well, I'm a wizard so I'm going to use my magical powers to protect my companion" and the Gamesmaster would say "Ok, the result is that the enemy guards don't do any damage this round".

In Mafia Wars thing, you might say "Well, I'm a Town Doctor, so I'm going to use my healing powers to protect my companion, and the Gamemoderator would say "Ok, the result is that the Scum don't do any damage this round".

As you can see, it's not really the same thing at all.

• Paid Members
I don't really play on the UKFF, although I may be interested in it, but I do play similar games elsewhere. I think the comparison to D&D is pretty fair, they are certainly within in a similar sphere, Chris B. I think you're a bit worried about admitting your geeky interests, embrace it!

Loki, in a tounge-in-cheek way you paint a somewhat accurate picture of the game. It's not hoods and fake spells in your mam's basement, but it's something similar. Give it a shot if you want.

I used to run a site called GeekPlanet. I host a comics podcast, and I write for a fairly major comics magazine about comics. I'm saying this on a wrestling forum. I'm very open about my geek interests - I'm just not into roleplaying games.

I'm not defending them, or saying they're bad. I'm just saying the comparison is wrong.

• Paid Members
Don't be daft, Pitcos. Roleplaying, and playing a role... they are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things.

For example, in Dungeons and Dragons, you might say "Well, I'm a wizard so I'm going to use my magical powers to protect my companion" and the Gamesmaster would say "Ok, the result is that the enemy guards don't do any damage this round".

In Mafia Wars thing, you might say "Well, I'm a Town Doctor, so I'm going to use my healing powers to protect my companion, and the Gamemoderator would say "Ok, the result is that the Scum don't do any damage this round".

That's actually a fairer analogy. But in D&D, that kind of thing is the main thrust of the game. With Mafia, the detection is the main thrust of the game.

That's actually a fairer analogy. But in D&D, that kind of thing is the main thrust of the game. With Mafia, the detection is the main thrust of the game.

Depends if you're trying to get into the Vast Fortress of Doom undetected to rescue Princess Mmmbop from the fiery embrace of the Mongol Lord or not.