UKFF Music Project

Vito

Im not really sure what the crack is here, people are showcasing their own tunes from what i can see.. To form a collective?

To cut a long story short: People make tunes, the people who've made tunes share tips and give advice to others so they can make tunes of their own. Hopefully people will start collaborating with others to make new tunes and our little scene will flourish.

I'm really happy with what has been achieved so far and look forward to seeing what comes next.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
My home set up is fucking old. It's what I used at college 15 years ago. It is built around Cubase Version 2 on an Atari 520 ST, and a Boss BR532 digital 4 track.

This weekend whilst searching though stuff, two floppy disks showed as corrupt. Bastard. Backing up of this stuff is needed. If the drive heads go, I've effectively lost every fucking disk. While I'm backing up, I may as well drag myself into the 1990s and upgrade to a PC based system.

I tried to do this once before with M-Box 2, but couldn't get on with it's layout. I tinkered with it half a dozen times (I like Amplitude, and I seriously fucking love BFD) but it's largely gone unused.

I want something that resembles the Cubase window I'm used to, that will allow me to sequence MIDI in the good old piano roll way, and also record audio tracks alongside them.

I want this to be able to be run on a decentish laptop, so it is portable, but also explandable

I want it to be able to run it's MIDI tracks from an internal sound library and/or an external MIDI source (as I'll still need sounds from old keyboards and modules for certain tracks).

If it has (or has something similar to) Amplitude and BFD, then all the better. Anything on top of that (effects, virtual synths, sampling, pitch manipulation, etc..) I can work around if they're not there, but it would be nice if they were, even though I'd probably get very lttle use out of them.

Does this sound like something that exits?

Okay, I've still not upgraded (mainly as I couldn't get the funds together), and I'm about to embark on finishing the cyberpunk album I started in 1995.

There's some free MIDI sequencers about, and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend one. All I need is MIDI and for it to support XG.

• 1 month later...

Well, I couldn't be arsed to put a video together for it, so I just stuck some random photo's over it. Seems to have picked up a fair bit of noise when being compressed for YouTube, but it's not too bad.

No stock loops involved. All drum patterns and synths sequenced by me. The only thing not from me is the dialogue.

Major bump.. but I really enjoyed this digby! The use of the "real to me" sample was particularly nice, sounded like 19 or something.

I want something that resembles the Cubase window I'm used to, that will allow me to sequence MIDI in the good old piano roll way, and also record audio tracks alongside them.

I want this to be able to be run on a decentish laptop, so it is portable, but also explandable

I want it to be able to run it's MIDI tracks from an internal sound library and/or an external MIDI source (as I'll still need sounds from old keyboards and modules for certain tracks).

If it has (or has something similar to) Amplitude and BFD, then all the better. Anything on top of that (effects, virtual synths, sampling, pitch manipulation, etc..) I can work around if they're not there, but it would be nice if they were, even though I'd probably get very lttle use out of them.

Why don't you try the latest version of Cubase? It's a lot more advanced but still uses the "piano roll" look and feel.

I used Cubase on an Atari ST for years, even when people were investing in PCs and Reason and the like. I only took the plunge in going fully digital when I had a go on Logic 8 on the Mac. Now I write all my music in that, and don't use any outboard equipment at all. One day I'll have the time and space to reincorporate all my old synths and rack units, but for now it's a fuck-off big Mac and a pair of monitors.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, if anyone wants to pick my brains on music production, feel free!

• Moderators

I could do with some hints and tips or even just another ear around mixing vocals. I've learned a fair bit about compression and limiting just from trial and error, and I'm OK when it's a purely instrumental track but find it starts to get a bit more confusing when I've got vocals up in the mix.

Rather than just ask theoretical questions though, I think it might be better to upload a track or two so you can hear what I'm talking about. I'll try get on to this soon!

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

This hasn't been around for a while.....

I haven't really made much music for a while, although I've played around here and there. How about y'all? Anyone been recording recently?

I have made this remix of an Afu Ra track, maybe this will help stir this thread up for a bit - please listen and criticise if you care to.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Back again..

Part of my drive to create more... um.. creative output is a new project to make a beat a week. This is because I really like doing creative stuff, but am lazy so need to force deadlines on myself. Also, I always obsess over a track when I make one and it's never complete and it stops me starting something new because it's easier to sit and tweak endlessly.

Here is my first effort of this project, as created last week: Beat of the Week - 1

Not sure how I feel about it, but that's the beauty of this project. I can just forget about it for now and get cracking on the next one and come back and listen to them all in a few months time.

Also, I'mma keep bumping this thread with it, because hopefully other people on here will post stuff they've done recently too.

(I may not post what I make every week if I really think something sucks!)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators
Good Arrows, Chest. Enjoyed that!

AKA pissed up Houchen fucks around on Garageband and iMovie. That was a productive Saturday.

Cheers dude.

This track of yours is real nice, and I'm not just saying that to return the compliment. Sounds like some badass chase scene music, and then at about 1:45 it goes all crazy video game level. A fun song!

• Paid Members
Good Arrows, Chest. Enjoyed that!

AKA pissed up Houchen fucks around on Garageband and iMovie. That was a productive Saturday.

I'm plugging it all over my Facebook as we speak. Here's hoping it's the next Chocolate Rain.

Liking the hiphoppery Chest. I think you're probably over-compressing now :p

I've redone myspace since this thread was last around, and refreshed with all new tunes, including a track I wrote just before Chrimbo -

http://www.myspace.com/trademarkelectronic

The track is Purity Control, but feel free to listen to the others.