UKFF Music Project

Vito

Okay, to get the ball rolling I've uploaded an unfinished track that I've been working on since yesterday. It's nothing fancy and so far it's only a lick under a minute and a half, there's a lot of things I need to change (the drums, what a nightmare) and I clearly don't know dick about mastering but I think it's getting there and it's much better than I hoped it would be.

[lightbreaker] - "Gratitude (Preview)"

Edited by Vito

Okay, to get the ball rolling I've uploaded an unfinished track that I've been working on since yesterday. It's nothing fancy and so far it's only a lick under a minute and a half, there's a lot of things I need to change -and I clearly don't know dick about mastering but I think it's getting there and it's much better than I hoped it would be.

[lightbreaker] - "Gratitude (Preview)"

I'm guessing it's Burial influenced? As soon as i heard the drum beat it popped into my head.

I hate making music like this as i've only just started, all i ever did before was work on some grindcore or black metal so it's hard work even knowing how to use the software. I may end up doing a grind track with the sample as the intro and add something else wrestling related somehow.

Admittedly I was listening to Burial a lot yesterday but I didn't set out to make a Burial track per-se, his beats sound simple but I'll be damned if I can make anything even remotely similar. I hate trying to do drums, it's an absolute fucking nightmare. You don't have to use the stillreal.mp3 sample btw, the only reason I did was because I needed a sample and that one it was right there on my desktop.

If anyone's curious I arranged the entire track in Audacity.

Edited by Vito

• Paid Members

Motherfucking driver error just deleted a bastard long post. Bollocks am I rewriting it. Here's the key points.

My home set up is fucking old. It's what I used at college 15 years ago. It is built around Cubase Version 2 on an Atari 520 ST, and a Boss BR532 digital 4 track.

This weekend whilst searching though stuff, two floppy disks showed as corrupt. Bastard. Backing up of this stuff is needed. If the drive heads go, I've effectively lost every fucking disk. While I'm backing up, I may as well drag myself into the 1990s and upgrade to a PC based system.

I tried to do this once before with M-Box 2, but couldn't get on with it's layout. I tinkered with it half a dozen times (I like Amplitude, and I seriously fucking love BFD) but it's largely gone unused.

I want something that resembles the Cubase window I'm used to, that will allow me to sequence MIDI in the good old piano roll way, and also record audio tracks alongside them.

I want this to be able to be run on a decentish laptop, so it is portable, but also explandable

I want it to be able to run it's MIDI tracks from an internal sound library and/or an external MIDI source (as I'll still need sounds from old keyboards and modules for certain tracks).

If it has (or has something similar to) Amplitude and BFD, then all the better. Anything on top of that (effects, virtual synths, sampling, pitch manipulation, etc..) I can work around if they're not there, but it would be nice if they were, even though I'd probably get very lttle use out of them.

Does this sound like something that exits?

Edited by surf_digby

• Paid Members

That sample just sounds like white noise to me. It's a minute and a half of something that sounds like you're sitting on a train and can just about hear the music of the person sitting next to you with the volume turned up too loud.

And before someone says "I'd like to see you do something better" - I can't. But that doesn't mean I should stop listening to music or having an opinion. I'd really like to hear what other people have to contribute though.

• Moderators

Just had a listen, Vito.. It's not really my kind of music for listening to so I can't really critique it on that, but from a production standpoint I don't think it sounds bad at all, especially given how new to it you are as you've said.

So, who here records with instruments? I'd love to have some licks to chop up and play around with and I think that would be a fun way to collaborate. frank, you're a guitar player right? Surf, I know you play a couple instruments at least...

• Paid Members

Just wanted to echo Rockwell's sentiment in case I came across too bitchy or whatever - it's just not my kind of music but the production was really good and didn't sound amateur or anything like that. So yeah...

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members
Can't you just use an old version of Cubase?

I know one of my mates still runs a rather old version of Cubase in Windows for all his recording..

Quite posibbley. I had a look around last night, and the latest Cubase looks quite daunting, and a bit similar to the M-Box2/Pro-Tools layout that I couldn't get to grips with.

There's the simpler Cubase Essentials, and there's also Sequel 2, which to me looks like more or less the same thing.

Also, would I need some kind of analogue to digital interface to plug a guitar into a laptop? If so, do they come as standard with the software? M-Box came with an actual box that went into the USB with XLR and line in sockets.

So, who here records with instruments? I'd love to have some licks to chop up and play around with and I think that would be a fun way to collaborate. Frank, you're a guitar player right? Surf, I know you play a couple instruments at least...

Like a sample/loop library of UKFF originated material? Got to admit I like this idea.

My keyboard playing ability is incredibly cackhanded at the moment (not played in about 5-6 years), but my guitaring is coming back quicker than I expected it to. Paradiddles on my steering wheel means I can still drum in time (maybe even using my feet too!), and I'm still passable on harmonica and recorder (sadly, to satisfy God's sense of humour, the recorder is probably my strongest instrument).

Also, how the fuck do you spell posibbley? Every fucking combination of letters I try today looks wrong.

• Paid Members

I know one of my mates still runs a rather old version of Cubase in Windows for all his recording..

Quite posibbley. I had a look around last night, and the latest Cubase looks quite daunting, and a bit similar to the M-Box2/Pro-Tools layout that I couldn't get to grips with.

There's the simpler Cubase Essentials, and there's also Sequel 2, which to me looks like more or less the same thing.

Also, would I need some kind of analogue to digital interface to plug a guitar into a laptop? If so, do they come as standard with the software? M-Box came with an actual box that went into the USB with XLR and line in sockets.

So, who here records with instruments? I'd love to have some licks to chop up and play around with and I think that would be a fun way to collaborate. Frank, you're a guitar player right? Surf, I know you play a couple instruments at least...

Like a sample/loop library of UKFF originated material? Got to admit I like this idea.

My keyboard playing ability is incredibly cackhanded at the moment (not played in about 5-6 years), but my guitaring is coming back quicker than I expected it to. Paradiddles on my steering wheel means I can still drum in time (maybe even using my feet too!), and I'm still passable on harmonica and recorder (sadly, to satisfy God's sense of humour, the recorder is probably my strongest instrument).

Also, how the fuck do you spell posibbley? Every fucking combination of letters I try today looks wrong.

Possibly.

• Paid Members

Possibly.

That can't possably be right?

• Paid Members

Possibly.

That can't possably be right?

Posibley not.