UKFF Music Project

Vito

• Moderators

Cool. Only way to get better is to do more! But what I meant was like what kind of music and do you play an instrument or programme electronic music and use synths adn stuff and what equipment you use..? I was quite interested because there's such a wide range of music that you listen to.

Cool. Only way to get better is to do more! But what I meant was like what kind of music and do you play an instrument or programme electronic music and use synths adn stuff and what equipment you use..? I was quite interested because there's such a wide range of music that you listen to.

That's kinda what this thread is about, I've seen people talking about wanting to make music but lacking confidence or motivation and I thought this would be a great way of getting those people, and myself, doing something. I predominantly use software, specifically Audacity, GarageBand and Linux Multimedia Studio, although I have an old mobile phone with a reasonably decent microphone which I use to capture sounds while I'm out and about. I'd rather spend hours manipulating and arranging samples than try and play a guitar.

Whenever I make a track, or to put it more accurately begin making a track which will inevitably end up abandoned in my "Project" folder, I try not to set out to make anything specific, saying "I want to make a track that sounds like x" tends to lead to frustration and disappointment. I think it's more interesting to start with a completely blank slate and just see what forms.

The idea here is to form a little scene. Let's say for the sake of argument that I uploaded a track, someone listens to it and says "I liked your track, but how did you make X sound like Y?", I show them how I did the thing and they go away and apply the technique to their work. Meanwhile, someone else listens to my track and thinks "That was crap, I could make something much better" and hopefully does.

What I hope is that a couple of months down the line we'll have people remixing each others work, individuals buddying up with each other to collaborate and people who never imagined that they could make music making their own music. That's my ultimate goal here.

• Paid Members
The idea here is to form a little scene. Let's say for the sake of argument that I uploaded a track, someone listens to it and says "I liked your track, but how did you make X sound like Y?", I show them how I did the thing and they go away and apply the technique to their work. Meanwhile, someone else listens to my track and thinks "That was crap, I could make something much better" and hopefully does.

What I hope is that a couple of months down the line we'll have people remixing each others work, individuals buddying up with each other to collaborate and people who never imagined that they could make music making their own music. That's my ultimate goal here.

You're talking about, effectively, an internet literary salon. They're a very good idea, and have produced a number of talents. Most famous one is the comedy salon, "News Revue" at the Canal River Caf

That's kinda what this thread is about, I've seen people talking about wanting to make music but lacking confidence or motivation and I thought this would be a great way of getting those people, and myself, doing something. I predominantly use software, specifically Audacity, GarageBand and Linux Multimedia Studio, although I have an old mobile phone with a reasonably decent microphone which I use to capture sounds while I'm out and about. I'd rather spend hours manipulating and arranging samples than try and play a guitar.

Whenever I make a track, or to put it more accurately begin making a track which will inevitably end up abandoned in my "Project" folder, I try not to set out to make anything specific, saying "I want to make a track that sounds like x" tends to lead to frustration and disappointment. I think it's more interesting to start with a completely blank slate and just see what forms.

I think sometimes it's a good idea to have a track in mind that you want to sound a bit like, as long as you accept you'll end up completely different by the end.

I also think the most important asset for a composer, especially with sample/synth based music, is patience. You can pick up a guitar and write a song in 5 minutes if the inspiration hits you. If you're writing electronic music it'll take hours to get anywhere. I can't do a session of less than 4 hours minimum, and it'll take 3 or 4 of those to get a tune to the point that I think it's worth finishing even. Getting a track to completion can take 20 hours plus including mastering time.

I think the quickest track I ever wrote was the last remix I made, which we did pretty much in one six-hour session, but then it was a remix we had the original track to work from.